SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
An Ember in the Ashes- Sabaa Tahir

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leilani (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:12PM) (new)

Leilani Pendilla | 7 comments An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Reviewed by Leilani Pendilla

A girl named Laia lives with her older brother and grandparents. They live in an empire run by what are called the Martials. Among the Martials are people called Masks, Masks are powerful and ruthless people who do the dirty work of the Empire, killing any and all when they must. So when Laia's brother was taken and arrested by some Masks for treason against the Martial Empire, she seeks help among the rebels to save her brother. However, the only way the rebels will help her, is if she disguises as a slave to spy on the Commandant, the most ruthless Mask of them all. The Commandant runs the Blackcliff Military Academy, the school where the strongest of the strongest children train to be cold-hearted Masks. Laia must do everything she can to survive under the Commandant to save her brother. While at Blackcliff Military Academy, she meets Elias, the school's best soldier. Elias isn't like the rest of the students though, he's different, he's not violent or cruel. All he wants is to leave the life he's been forced into, one problem though. His mom is the Commandant.

This book was absolutely incredible. I didn't really know what to expect when I first started reading the book, but boy was I blown away. Tahir does an amazing job of writing complex characters that get the reader so attached to them. Tahir writes the book from the main two characters, Laia and Elias, which I really enjoyed because I was really able to get into the heads of both characters and see what they were thinking and how they made their decisions. I would get so into the book that sometimes I'd forget to check who's point of view it was and would be really confused to why the scene changed so much. Another aspect of the book I enjoyed was that there was a strong female lead along with a strong male lead, it's cool to see how their paths cross and how much they influence one another. But this book was just so packed with adventure, fighting, and suspense that I couldn't put it down. There is a second book which was also super amazing and made me really happy because it meant that I could continue the journey with Laia and Elias to see what happens next.

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Farmer | 14 comments This sounds like an interesting read that I might have to give a try. Is this book more futuristic themed?

Erika Thorsen | 18 comments Mod
This sounds like a book I would enjoy! Do you know how many are/will be in the series?

Since you liked the aspect of two strong protagonists - a male and a female - try Marie Lu's Legend series. The books are told in alternating chapters between Day and June. In futuristic and broken world with a tyrannical government that keeps the poor and desperate under strict military rule, Day is a daredevil rebel and June is a young prodigy of a solider bound to stop him. There are three books, and they are fairly quick, fun reads!

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh McBain | 10 comments I loved this book, the second book is also very very good and im very excited for the third book

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Neyens | 7 comments This sounds like a really fun book to read. It seems like it touches on the common theme where parents tend set up a path for their children that isn't what their child wants.

message 6: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 9 comments The plot in this book sounds riveting! Is this a series?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Cornwell | 8 comments this book sounds really cool. I love strong characters, I think most of my favorite stories rely heavily on character development, unlike some books that I've read that rely on setting or the situation.

message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hovater | 7 comments Really enjoyed how you conveyed the plot it sounds like the author combined the excessive action of a movie with the endless details of a novel. I'll have to read it some time.