Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > WIN a copy of The Handmaids Tale SIGNED by Margaret Atwood!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,193 (2193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 43 44

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2017 01:28PM) (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,
We are very excited to announce that we have TEN copies of The Handmaids Tale signed by the author herself - Margaret Atwood.

This competition is WORLDWIDE and ends on Friday 23rd June. There are also 5 runner up prizes too - a t-shirt quoting “nolite te bastardes carborundorum”, a phrase from the book.

For your chance to win please simply fill in the form which you will find located on our good friends The Book Fairies website HERE: http://ibelieveinbookfairies.com/our-...

Finally, if you would like to leave a comment below to explain what Our Shared Shelf means to you, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks very much,
The OSS Moderators

Thanks to Hulu and vintage books for this competition.

message 2: by Rihab (new)

Rihab Sn | 1 comments Emma's feminist book club has had a very strong impact on my life
Females are not to be classed as 'Fragile' because they are in fact, the exact opposite of this. Women were born to shatter the earth with their power
It showed me that a strong women can also be kind and warm and that a kind and soft women can also be powerful 💖
Would love to win a copy of this book!! (instagram: rihabsohail)

message 3: by Polsnr (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:11PM) (new)

Polsnr | 1 comments I love OurSharedShelf because I've always loved reading about strong, powerful women ahead of their time and I feel like a lot of the books we've read so far are exactly like that. I've also discovered new female authors that I now really enjoy and admire as I relate to them through their stories that sometimes come from a very personal and intimate place. This book club has opened my mind to new experiences and opinions and to what it really means to be a woman. Each book has helped me feel stronger and more empowered than I ever did before and I love that I get to share it with some of my friends and family

message 4: by Lainie (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Lainie This is so exciting! This book has become so relevant it's kind of shocking and Hulu put together a great show.

This book club has been a great resource for me. I am part of a book club with friends and over the past year our choices and discussions have changed so much. This feminist book club gives me great ideas for books for our club that span a range of types - dystopian, uplifting, informative, proactive, entertaining, which is so important so as to not get bogged down feeling only angry or helpless or sad. I love these book choices and I love knowing that so many of us are in this together, actively using our minds and trying to do better.

message 5: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Gosset | 17 comments Thank you so much for this competition! This club means a lot to me. It's a way to fight sexism and discover a lot of interesting books!

message 6: by Parisa (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:10PM) (new)

Parisa Bookworm (parisa_bookworm) | 3 comments I love this book club, it has introduced to me so many great books about feminism and make this opportunity for me to get to know fascinating people who are actually passionate about feminism and I have the chance to discuss feministic issues with them. The people who really know the importance of this subject and appreciate the work that is being done by this book club! Thank you, Emma and all the great people who are helping her to manage this club.
I, myself, live in a country (Iran) that its people don't appreciate feminism and always see that as an intruder that tries to change their religious beliefs and tear their families apart. I know it is really important to spread the knowledge about this issue and try to inform people. I hope this club give me the needed strength to act towards this problem.

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charl164) I love to read, even as a young child I was found with my nose in a book more often than not! I've read many different books of different genres and am always looking for new ones! This is why I love Our Shared Shelf! Not only are we introduced to new books and new authors but old books are given fresh eyes and opinions, unheard of authors are brought to the forefront and we read books that have meaning and important stories within them. The Handmaid's Tale was suggested to me by a good friend and I read it a while before it appeared on Our Shared Shelf but was so excited to see it suggested that I read it again! I look forward to each new book put forward and it's twice as amazing that Emma Watson - a pioneering woman of our generation - founded it ❤️

message 8: by anacvera (new)

anacvera | 6 comments I always have read quite a lot but until I joined Our Shared Shelf I realized I was reading stories about women written by a man's pen. This book club has been really mind opener for me, not because I wasn't a feminist before, but because I have learned to question more and I also have more answers to questions about feminism. Knowledge is power, that's not a secret, I feel empowered to improve my personal enviroment. I love to discreetly recommend books from the club to someone and see them having strong and positive opinions, they never see it coming! I also enjoy reading the group discussions and to be able to be in touch with such wonderful persons, this is my first bookclub ever and I'm sure it will not be the last.

message 9: by Marta (new)

Marta Oliva Riera (martta) | 2 comments This sounds awesome!
I've only recently got into OSS but I really like it, it is great place to talk about feminism and share our love for reading.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments I joined on the first day of its creation and have been connected since... I may not comment every day but it is mind blowing and humbling to see all these brilliant minds who've come together so beautifully. It helped because it keeps me motivated to stay on track with my reading! How I love it! I am my own Madam Pince, having organized my mini library in my room. What's not to lov3? Community, books, intelligence and lively spirits =OSS.
I love you very much, Emma!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hill | 1 comments I've loved reading books since a young age, I've always loved anything involving women who are strong and this club has introduced me to more books about women empowerment and feminism. Not only has it showed me how empowered we can all be but has introduced me to new authors whose books I've never read before and am glad to be introduced to.

message 12: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (hazelnutgem) I've always read a lot, and since joining the goodreads community that had increased even further. I joined the Shared Shelf because I think it's important that women support other women and doing so through literature is so important. The Shared Shelf has introduced me to some incredible authors that I wouldn't have stumbled across without, and what is more inspiring than a group of talented and supportive women empowering one another?

message 13: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve | 1 comments I've loved every recommendation here. It's more important than ever for women to band together & support each other & have the platforms to facilitate this. Thank you for creating this community.

message 14: by Mama X (new)

Mama X (mamax) | 7 comments I remember when I found out that Emma actually DID create this group and that it wasn't a scam. I was a bit blown away, because she is one of the people I really look up to. She's such a strong woman and inspiring! I am not as active as I'd like to be in the group, but I do plan on reading Handmaid's Tale. It looks amazing and I'm super excited. :D

message 15: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (gabbyc9) | 2 comments Getting a signed copy of The Handmaid's Tale would mean the world to me. I first read the novel in high school and it moved me so much. Reading about females being oppressed and relating to the feeling caused me to understand just how much feminism means.

I graduated high school 10 years ago and am about to teach The Handmaid's Tale to my students for the first time next year. Being able to teach this book to my students is so exhilarating for me. I love the novel so much and love reading about the Handmaids' and others' rebellions even when they are backed into a corner. The novel is even more meaningful now since I feel my rights as a woman are being challenged daily by Trump. Teaching this novel gives me a sense of power and hope because I can share its powerful message with my students.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Paiz (mrpaiz) I've loved the excellent suggestions of this book club and look forward to the next recommendation.

message 17: by tim apple (new)

tim apple (tim__apple) The feminist book club is the antithesis of Gilead's values. This group empowers and encourages people to read, share, and imagine a better world. How appropriate we read The Handmaid's Tale.

I love to read, but too often it is considered an individual sport! OSS reminds us that reading can be a team effort. Here, we can push each other to test books we would otherwise never touch. Here, we can connect over personal experiences and exchanged kind words of encouragement.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick Peron | 19 comments Our Shared Shelf gives me everyday a new point of view. Emma with her books selection teached us that Women are strong and powerful if they fight together for peace and equality. This Book Club is a good opportunity to share important informations but also the pleasure of reading. OSS lets us to Connect our thoughts and to understand better different topics.
Thank you Emma for this fantastic community!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Since I was a little chile I've always enjoy reading and amaze by the incredible power that words can have In our life. Its thanks to communities like these, that not only empower womens off all the globe but also teach those amongs us the importance of the value of the equalitie, love and understanding through inspiring and honest readings. To this I want to say thank you for have the encouragement to change the world, give us a space to express and understand differents points of view.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 2 comments I love having a place where feminism isn't an epithet. I come here to read good literature that says something to me as a woman and a seeker of justice. Thank you for giving me that space!

message 21: by Teri (new)

Teri | 1 comments I remember reading the feminism 'basics' in college - especially Carol Gilligan's In a Different Voice - and being shocked at how relevant and important it seemed. How could it seem this way to me, yet be apparently ignored everywhere else? I decided that these ideas must lose their relevance over time.

But they haven't; instead, they have become more relevant. As I graduated and became a professional, the same issues greeted me in every new meeting, every new workplace. Yet still, most women I knew - even in NYC, even in creative professions - didn't want to say the F-word, let alone talk about these issues. Talking about feminism or bias was just an excuse that meant you weren't able to make it on your own.

I'm so happy and relieved to see women finally, FINALLY beginning to recognize these issues and the impact they have on everyone, male and female alike. And if I can grab a few new books and press them eagerly on my friends and family, so much the better!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bagginsindeed) | 10 comments I love getting recommendations for thought-provoking books. I read a lot, so sometimes the people I know in real life are a little intimidated about giving me recommendations (they think I will have already read it!). In the selections we've had thus far, I've gotten to read books I would have never chosen for myself, revisit things I read a long time ago, and read a few things I've been meaning to read for a long time. I like knowing that we are all reading and thinking about the books together, and reading through the group to see everyone's thoughts. I'm always so eager to see what we'll read next!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Blackerby | 1 comments I have enjoyed this book club so much, it has not only opened my eyes to so many injustices women are facing around the world and throughout time. It has not only deepened my understanding but further stirred my passion to help end oppression and promote women. It has been so beneficial to read from so many different perspectives and has helped me to grow as a person and to establish what it means for me to be a feminist. This book club not only highlights the injustices that women have faced and continue to face, but it also emphasizes our strength and resilience in adversity, which is so important!!

message 24: by M. Desiree (new)

M. Desiree (dezeerae) Being a part of this book club and having the opportunity to read some of the books, and learn about others even if I don't read them, has allowed me to learn about this issue from perspectives that I never would have considered otherwise, due simply to a lack of exposure in my daily activities. Not only from the feminism view point, but also seeing cultures and looking through those eyes on how the U.S. plays a part in different ways.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1 comments I love to read, I have done since I was a child. I love so many genres and styles but only recently discovered Our Shared Shelf. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few recommended books particularly Persepolis and The Handmaids Tale, both have gone into my favourites list and I have been recommending them to friends and family.

message 26: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Stephanie | 1 comments I have always loved reading, especially literature that empowers women. Ever since finding Our Shared Shelf, I have been introduced to new books that I likely would have never found otherwise, and have been reunited with a few old favourites. As an English teacher, I especially appreciate that a public figure like Emma Watson is bringing these books forward, as it will only further encourage my young students to read books that have a strong message.

message 27: by Chavi (new)

Chavi | 9 comments Our Shared Shelf is a place where I find my thoughts and opinions about life, literature and feminism both validated and challenged: the most healthy and growth stimulating of combinations! We have read and discussed some of Emma's book picks in our own little book club which has led to much discussion, laughter, passion and a feeling of togetherness. I'm very grateful for Our Shared Shelf and the inspiration it brings to my life.

message 28: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Sharing my thoughts on OURSharedShelf with you:
OurSharedShelf is somewhat of a home for me. I go here on a daily basis, I love to see new posts pop up, I love to discuss here, or help a new member or two out. Here, my sex, my gender, they are not a big deal. We are here to discuss, not to spread hate towards each other. Via OSS I have made friends, that I have told parts of myself I maybe have told 1 or 2 persons before. I have learned so much, and I know it's the right thing to be a feminist. Here, I feel understood! All of you folks make this small corner of the world feel big.

OMG, I'm on the verge of sobbing writing this.

Erin (thatwritergirl) | 37 comments I joined OSS back in March. I've always identified as a feminist, so when I found out about this book club I didn't hesitate in joining. It has been great getting to talk with others who share my belief and I think it's awesome for there to be a safe place to go to talk, not only about the book choices but about relevant issues. I have recommended this group to others and will continue to do so because I think it is has having a positive impact and will only grow and continue to do so. It's changed my life for the better and though it may sound cheesy, it truly is changing my life and opening my eyes to new ideas and opinions.

message 30: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 3 comments Goodreads is my own personal escape, no one I know knows I have it so it really is a break from my life and reality. I have loved Emma Watson for years, first as an actress and then massively when she became the voice for He For She, UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and founder of Our Shared Shelf. I think she is a remarkable person and inspires so many people. Our Shared Shelf means so much to me because it combines my love for equality with reading. It shows me new books that I have never heard of before and provides a great place to discuss the books of the month with people reading them at the same time. I will be forever grateful to Emma Watson and all like her or who help her achieve such greatness, you are inspiring people and I hope good always comes your way. Thank you for making me a better and more knowledgeable person and for all those you help.

message 31: by Kaelynn (new)

Kaelynn Trevino | 2 comments As a kid, I've always loved to read books. My friends would literally call me Hermione from Harry Potter. All the other kids in school would make fun of me and I was bullied because I liked to read. The schools librarian became my best friend and we would often read books together. I'm now 19 and I am becoming more aware about feminism and what it's all about. That's why I joined this book club and I can now say that I am a feminist! All thanks to Emma Watson and everyone on the shared shelf. So thanks. This group has made me discover a part of myself that I didn't know was there.

message 32: by Tenikia (new)

Tenikia Pearson (scarletlullaby) | 5 comments This group has opened my eyes to so much incredible feminist reading that I didn't know existed or didn't know was seen as feminist and I'm forever grateful for Emma's vision in bringing us all together!

message 33: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments These competitions are fun. OSS is cool. Sometimes the message should be simple

message 34: by Romana (new)

Romana Chobey | 1 comments One of the most amazing, if not the most important, things about this book club is the education that's shared with members, or others. For instance, when Emma left copies of different books throughout New York, prompting fans, who may or may not have been members, to seek them out and become, possibly, interested in the books themselves. Its unifying, and that's what I love about this group.

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela Shores | 2 comments I appreciate being able to share empowering books with women around the world. In a small town with few friends reading the same kind of books as me, it's nice to have a group where I'm connected with people who ARE reading the same books.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess Catchpole | 1 comments Jo wrote: "Hi Everyone,
We are very excited to announce that we have TEN copies of The Handmaids Tale signed by the author herself - Margaret Atwood.

This competition is WORLDWIDE and ends on Friday 23rd Jun..."

Emma's book club is a great way of making reading- a solitary act in itself- very interactive, and creates a community around reading feminist literature. As the name of the club suggesting, its gives you a sense of a 'shared self', with other like-minded individuals.

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane Boden | 1 comments I love OurSharedShelf because it gets me reading interesting books that I might have otherwise not know about. I think its important to have positive role models as well as information for everyone on how to empower women. Asks for broadening my herizons!

message 38: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Angela wrote: "I appreciate being able to share empowering books with women around the world. In a small town with few friends reading the same kind of books as me, it's nice to have a group where I'm connected with people who ARE reading the same books."

SAME!

message 39: by Matt (new)

Matt Adelman | 2 comments I love being exposed to all the new ideas in the group. It's really opened my eyes!

message 40: by Ali Bjortomt (new)

Ali Bjortomt | 1 comments I don't have a long story about what Our Shared Shelf means to me, but that doesn't make it less inspiring. Prior to joining this group, I was quite intimidated or the word "feminism." For many years, I chose to ignore the conversation because the topic was so heavy and filled with political stances and stereotypes. I decided to join the group, and read the books because feminism can no longer be ignored in this age. It was time to draw my own conclusions and explore. Sometimes feminism was heavy, other times it was light. I began to learn and grow with each book I read. This group has allowed me to form my own opinions, and I've learned this f-word is not so scary anymore. I thank Emma Watson for creating this valuable resource to allow anyone to grow and educate themselves on a concept that will continue to take precedence in the years to come.

message 41: by Allisha (new)

Allisha (leeshee) | 1 comments New to Our Shared Shelf, somewhat to new to reading. I used to love to read when I was a child, until I was bullied out of it in school. Never revisited reading until now. The titles on this book club is all empowering. I wished I discovered this earlier. I am deeply moved by A Handmaids Tale and hope to win a copy.

message 42: by Kellina (new)

Kellina | 1 comments I never use to read that much but as I've gotten older it's become more and more enjoyable and I truly love learning and reading about so many empowering strong women!

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess O (jrzyon) I think it's fabulous to have a book club that focuses on feminist books outside of college. It's been a while since I've read some of these and others I've never read before. Thank you!!

message 44: by Tori (new)

Tori DeSouza | 5 comments I love being a part of the feminist book club. Reading has always been a passion of mine and it's really fun reading books and being a part of a thread with people who share that. It's also so cool that Emma Watson is so involved- she seems like a wonderful person who uses her fame in a really positive way to create awareness, etc. It would be amazing to win a signed copy of The Handmaid's Tale, especially because I haven't gotten to read that one yet! Thank you (Instagram @torishayyy)

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison Traub | 1 comments I love this group because it helps me find more readings that help empower myself. I'm hoping to be an English teacher, so I'm looking forward to introducing my students to books that I've been introduced to through this group. I've been obsessed with The Handmaid's Tale since I first read it last year in my Women in Lit class and with everything happening in politics right now, this book has really helped me realize the things to focus on and to look for as the world continues to change.

message 46: by Chantae (new)

Chantae This has been a great resource to have as a foundation for discussions and to learn about the different experiences of women from all walks of life. I think sometimes we get so focused on our own experiences and what we feel "womanhood" is that sometimes we forget there are other perspectives and voices that we don't get to hear. This has been a great way to explore that in a constructive way.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments I am so thankful to Our Shared Shelf for helping me to start reading again by introducing thought provoking and empowering titles! As a teenager I always loved reading about strong women from a woman's perspective but got caught up in the everyday hustle so found it hard to take the time to source books that I'd really enjoy. Emma's suggestions are so perfect that all I have to do is pick up the book and dive in and these forums have allowed me to delve even deeper into what these stories really mean and how they can relate to and guide us as modern day women. Thank you Emma and all the contributors at Our Shared Shelf. x

message 48: by Robert (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:57PM) (new)

Robert Smart | 347 comments MeerderWörter wrote: "Sharing my thoughts on OURSharedShelf with you:
OurSharedShelf is somewhat of a home for me. I go here on a daily basis, I love to see new posts pop up, I love to discuss here, or help a new member..."

Meerder, You know that I personally feel the same! Those that I have met and also talk to or message sometimes daily really mean the world to me! I now have some really great friends that I care very much for.
As I have said before in other discussions I feel this is a safe place for people to voice themselves without feeling like they will be judged harshly or intimidated for what they say. That really means a lot to me.
I am very glad to be a part of this group.

message 49: by Kushnuma (new)

Kushnuma (khushibooklover) | 1 comments Our Shared Shelf is really great and I love the fact that it focuses on bringing books on equality, as even in this day and age there is still a lot of sexism against women.

message 50: by Nissa (new)

Nissa Reads (nissabooks) | 4 comments before i join this group i never know about book like this. especially in my country its so hard to find book like this. because of this group i know a lot about feminism and book is a good example how a woman can be strong and independent. thank you

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 43 44
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.