Writers club! discussion

Writing > Self Publishing

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Derek (new)

Derek Barton | 1 comments Mod
Hey there, Neva! I have so far self-published three works (a novel, a novella and a prequel short story) through Createspace for Amazon and Kindle. I am currently working on my fourth piece -- a novel sequel.

I would have loved to hire an editor, but the costs are extremely high -- $.02 to $.04 a word! When you are just getting started, the investment of $2000--$4000 for your 100,000 word novel is unrealistic. I edited my own, but I have also researched and spent almost every day learning about the writing craft so I can improve my work.

I will pass along one tip that I learned -- check out the Hemingwayapp tool. It is a very useful and easy editing program.

You can see my self-publishing articles I have written based on my experience on my site: https://rivyen.wordpress.com. Also you can email me here if there are any other questions you might have for me. Good luck!!!

message 2: by B.C. (new)

B.C. Crow | 5 comments Neva wrote: "Thank you Derek! I'm definitely going to check out your articles and the Hemingwayapp tool. Don't be surprised if you hear from me :)"

Hey there. I've also self published a few books. I know a lot of people like to go the Amazon route and that is totally fine. But if you're looking for other options, check out IngramSparks. They're a little more complex to use, but a lot better in my opinion.

With them, you can get your physical copy or your ebook into every single market, not just Amazons. The downside, is that you lose the promo options available through publishing on Kindle alone.

If you're on a budget, by all means, Amazon is a great tool for this. But if you have a few extra bucks, give the IngramSparks route a try. It cost more because you'll have to buy InDesign by Adobe to format your book. There's a bit of a learning curve there, but it's a powerhouse publishing tool. I've published 3, soon to be 5 of my own books with it and I've used it to publish one children's picturebook for another author.