Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > New Edition - Torn

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Hi there,

I have a question about a book that was once put out by my publisher. I now have the rights back and I'm going to publish it just on Amazon under a new title and new cover page.

This was the old version:
A Blessing In Disguise

How do I go about updating this book? I can add a new cover and change the title (now called Torn), and I'm publishing it on my own.

Is there a proper protocol on how I should go about setting it up on Goodreads?

Any suggestions/help appreciated. Thanks.

message 2: by David (last edited Jun 04, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments I'm afraid you can't replace the cover or the title of an existing edition. Goodreads policy is to keep all published editions and covers in the database, as readers want to shelve the edition and cover of the copy they have.

You can add another edition for the same work, with a different title and cover, and you can make it the default edition so it appears on searches and on your author page.

To add a new edition to the same work: https://www.goodreads.com/book/new?au...
(of course you need to set the correct details).

To set default edition: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

If anything goes wrong feel free to ask for help here or open a new thread.

message 3: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments I still have to add the description yet (working on the final version), but other than that, have I done it correctly?
Torn by Shereen Vedam

message 4: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments Yes, all seems correct. Remember to add the ASIN as soon as you have it, or the bot may add another edition and we will need to merge the two editions (no big deal, just some extra work).
I added the "original title" field.

message 5: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Will do. I should have the ISBN in a few days too.

Thanks for your help.

message 6: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments ISBN has been added

message 7: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments Kindle editions do not have an ISBN, they have an ASIN.
If this book is going to be available through other sources than Amazon, we should change it to ebook edition and add a Kindle edition when you have the ASIN. If it is a Kindle exclusive I'm afraid we should remove the ISBN and wait for the ASIN.

message 8: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments I took ISBN numbers for all the books coming out this year (5 of them). The reason I don't have an ASIN number yet for this one, is that I haven't set it up for preorder on Amazon yet.

The plan is to have it available for pre-order by Monday, June 19th and release 3 months later, on September 18.

I'm going through my checklist of all the things I have to do to get ready to release this book. Getting the old version and the version aligned on Goodreads was on my to-do-list. :)

It will be on Amaozn first, but it could become available on Nook, KOBO, etc. later. So I do need the ISBN #.

If that means we need to re-code the book, could you do that for me?

message 9: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments If you plan to use this ISBN for ebook editions, the best would be to set this as an ebook edition (which I did) and add the Kindle edition when you have the ASIN.

message 10: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Sounds good, will do. Thanks for your help.