Addicted to YA discussion

Information > Suggestion Box

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5299 comments Mod
Hey everyone! We're looking for suggestions from our members for ways to improve Addicted to YA. If you have any ideas that you would like us to consider leave a comment

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melperry7) | 1 comments You should create a yearly challenge of some sort for those who read more than two books a month.

message 3: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1545 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "You should create a yearly challenge of some sort for those who read more than two books a month."

Something different from the BOTM Challenge? That's 4 books a month.

Did you have any preference for a challenge theme?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You could also add a challenge for readers to send in Amazon.com reviews of books. Maybe call it a book review challenge. It wouldn't have to be on Amazon. It could be reviews found in other places.

message 5: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Jean charles (crazymat) | 8 comments it would be cool if somebody could post a drawing of the best ya Main protagonist of the book of the month

message 6: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Carol wrote: "You could also add a challenge for readers to send in Amazon.com reviews of books. Maybe call it a book review challenge. It wouldn't have to be on Amazon. It could be reviews found in other places."

Do you mean like for BOTM books or just send in reviews for anything?

message 7: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jun 22, 2017 04:19PM) (new)

Ricardo wrote: "it would be cool if somebody could post a drawing of the best ya Main protagonist of the book of the month"

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean like an actual like art drawing? Or a poll?

message 8: by Greta (new)

Greta | 5 comments Hey guys, posting here because I would like to suggest The Sunrise Chasers. It's a great YA romance! Description and link below:

Once bubbly twenty-one-year-old photographer Natalie Sullivan has just lost her boyfriend, Luke, in a tragic car accident. To honor his memory, she plans to embark on an epic road trip with her friends to the places he talked about, including Zion National Park, Valley of Fire, and more. But during the funeral, a girl bursts in claiming to be his real girlfriend, and on top of that- she is pregnant with his child. Natalie doesn’t know what else to do except hightail it out of town, but her car breaks down and her only ticket to escape is with Rhys, Luke's abrasive little brother who drinks whiskey out of a coffee mug.

Rhys, a seasoned outdoorsman, has issues of his own — his father blames him for the death of his favored son and admits he’s not even sure if he’s Rhys’s real dad. Through their devastation, an undeniable chemistry grows as they find solace in one another, and even though Natalie knows she must confront the other woman, now she must also decide if Rhys is just a temporary fix, or if they have something real together.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunrise-Chaser...

Erika wrote: "Hey everyone! We're looking for suggestions from our members for ways to improve Addicted to YA. If you have any ideas that you would like us to consider leave a comment"

message 9: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Greta wrote: "Hey guys, posting here because I would like to suggest The Sunrise Chasers. It's a great YA romance! Description and link below:

Once bubbly twenty-one-year-old photographer Natalie Sullivan has j..."

This is not the location to suggest group reads or promote your own works. BOTMS are suggested in our Books of the Month folder with new threads created for each month.

Additionally, our group rules state that authors cannot suggest their own books as BOTM. Rules here for your perusal: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

You may create a thread in the author's folder to promote your books: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 10: by Gabbie (new)

Gabbie (gabbieh) | 2 comments Hi guys! I just joined GoodReads and I'm learning the ropes of it, but I have a great recommendation. Over the weekend I read Nemesis by Brendan Reichs and it was chillingly good. Perfect blend of everyday life and dystopia, with a hint of government conspiracy.

message 11: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 1134 comments Buddy Reads would be a nice addition. A place where people can ask if someone wants to read x book along with them. Then allow them to make a thread where they can discuss/talk about the book. :)

Also maybe some challenges? Every month a challenge, or seasonal/special challenges (like a summer/beach challenge or a Christmas challenge). Like a bingo card, or find certain things in books, or making teams and have people do x goals (which of course can all be done by reading book(s).

I am sure people would love those.

message 12: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Mehsi wrote: "Buddy Reads would be a nice addition. A place where people can ask if someone wants to read x book along with them. Then allow them to make a thread where they can discuss/talk about the book. :)
..."

Thank you for your suggestion! We've been talking about doing Buddy Reads for awhile now actually, but Nikki and I have been fairly busy recently. Hopefully we'll have something for that soon.

That also sounds like a good idea. We'll look into doing that.

message 13: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 1134 comments Erika wrote: "Thank you for your suggestion! We've been talking about doing Buddy Reads for awhile now actually, but Nikki and I have been fairly busy recently. Hopefully we'll have something for that soon.

That also sounds like a good idea. We'll look into doing that.
"

You're welcome! :) Oh, will be waiting patiently then. Good luck to you both.

Yay! Can't wait what kind of challenges you two will think off.

message 14: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Gabbie wrote: "Hi guys! I just joined GoodReads and I'm learning the ropes of it, but I have a great recommendation. Over the weekend I read Nemesis by Brendan Reichs and it was chillingly good. Perfect blend of ..."

Hi Gabbie! This is not the place for group-read suggestions. You can do that in the Books of the Month when the threads are up.

This is a spot for members to tell us moderators what they'd like to see/what we can do differently for the group. Cheers!

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermariechristine) Has anyone read Good Enough by Taryn Steele? Whoa! So good! She's new. It's a 3 book series. The last one is due to come out later this year.

message 16: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Alexis wrote: "I'm new to the group so i'm not sure if you already do this or not but maybe if you suggested reading a series together. Then you could look foward to waiting for the next book in the series to com..."

We do monthly reads where people suggest a book and the group votes for what they want. When the group first started out we kind of did it so that if we started a series we'd read the next book for the next month, but we switched to having everything be suggested and voted on

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Hi,
I'm new to the group and Goodreads as well. I've started star-touched Queen but the prose is tough. I'd love to check out Victoria Schwab and hope to get it soon. Can we have BOTM not as a second/third book in a series (library of souls-it's an OCD thing with me: I've got to read series books in order :)))? Maybe stick to the first book only/discovery of a series. Just a suggestion.

message 18: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Anna wrote: "Hi,
I'm new to the group and Goodreads as well. I've started star-touched Queen but the prose is tough. I'd love to check out Victoria Schwab and hope to get it soon. Can we have BOTM not as a seco..."

We never read series out of order, but since people like to continue series we do read second/third books in a series. If you look in our series folder you'll find all the discussions for past series, so if you're interested in reading that series, but we're already on the 3rd book, then you can always go back to past discussions.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (rooeyjen) I am new to the group, but just so happy to have an online book club of sorts that is reading the YA genre. My book club hasn't wanted to read this genre, so this will be really fun to get good recommendations and see discussions. Thanks, Jennifer

message 20: by Mira (new)

Mira | 1 comments Hello, Im not really familiar with the groups on Goodreads, but I'm trying to start participating.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth Green (thegreenauthor) | 6 comments I'd love for this group to consider reading the book below. It has just been awarded the fifth award (for this series) with this most recent award from Reader's Favorite in the YA Thriller category.

Thank you for your time! I appreciate any that you give...this book can be read without reading the original book in the series.

Quiver

message 22: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Beth wrote: "I'd love for this group to consider reading the book below. It has just been awarded the fifth award (for this series) with this most recent award from Reader's Favorite in the YA Thriller category..."

Hi Beth! This is not the place for group-read suggestions. You can do that in the Books of the Month folder when the threads are up.

This is a spot for members to tell us moderators what they'd like to see/what we can do differently for the group. Cheers!

message 23: by Brittany (last edited Sep 30, 2017 09:56PM) (new)

Brittany Tellefsen (thecontinuingchronicles) (thecontinuingchronicles) It would be helpful if the BOTM selections could be posted before the actual first of each month. I always want to pick up the books and have them in hand by the first so I can start reading them.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Bloom | 2 comments I just joined this group so I don't know if you already have this, but there should be a section where you can ask for recommendations from other members based on a book or series that you post. (i.e. I loved the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series, I'm looking for another YA series that follows the same themes (mythology, chosen-one prophecy, characters grow up together, etc.). Does anyone know any other series that are similar that I might like?) Again my apologies if this is already a thing.

message 25: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Michael wrote: "I just joined this group so I don't know if you already have this, but there should be a section where you can ask for recommendations from other members based on a book or series that you post. (i..."

We have a whole folder dedicated to recommendations:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 26: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Brittany wrote: "It would be helpful if the BOTM selections could be posted before the actual first of each month. I always want to pick up the books and have them in hand by the first so I can start reading them."

I'm sorry that we've been unable to do this recently, but we can try to have the book chosen a few days before the start of the next month again

message 27: by I. (new)

I. Pirrie (IPirrie) | 1 comments Ricardo wrote: "it would be cool if somebody could post a drawing of the best ya Main protagonist of the book of the month"

Great suggestion, protagonist are always so much more fun than main characters to draw.

message 28: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen Truong | 1 comments Hi everyone. I'm new to Goodreads, so please be gentle. I recently started a project to write a novel for my twelve year old daughter before I die (I have stage four liver cancer). My novel is free to read, and I am posting chapters online as I write them (my goal is one chapter a week as my health permits). It is my last labor of love, but so far it's a bit lonely. Won't you come read my story and help share so that my novel can find a few readers?
https://thewishingglass.com/

message 29: by Taemokokey (new)

Taemokokey | 1 comments Can anyone recommend me a Mythology based books for young adults? Something very similar to Percy Jackson. Thanks! I'm planning to buy books for my kids as a Xmas present.

message 30: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Perales (typicalthalia09) | 2 comments We can create face to face book club meetings or hangout. of course there would be multiple groups from different areas like people from Philadelphia get together, etc

message 31: by Alexa (new)

Alexa K. (alexa_k) | 6 comments If there are any YA PageHabit subscribers maybe we could create a thread for those who read the books they received? I think that would be neat =)

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Selden | 14 comments I would make an "announcement" topic and put the announcements that come out via group email there rather than through email. We can easily ensure that we receive notification about the announcements by subscribing to the topic.

I personally do not like receiving group emails, although I know I may not be in the majority here, but still want to be a part of the group. In the past I dropped out of groups because there were just too many emails arriving.

message 33: by PLC (new)

PLC Reader | 7 comments I know that you need to get the word out for each project or event but I think some of the emails are repetitive. Perhaps edit that some?

message 34: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 602 comments A like your comment option. Some people here put great comments that I totally agree with. I'd love to be to click a thumbs up 👍 to them or a Like bottom. I know there is a like, on other areas in GR, but not on any of the thread of hundreds of replies to whatever the discussion are about.

message 35: by S.E. (new)

S.E. Ellis Taemokokey wrote: "Can anyone recommend me a Mythology based books for young adults? Something very similar to Percy Jackson. Thanks! I'm planning to buy books for my kids as a Xmas present."

Hestia the Dreamwalker

They may enjoy that book if that is what they're looking for. Hestia, Hekate, Pindar...from the names you may notice I have a strong affinity for Greek mythology...

message 36: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Curtis wrote: "A like your comment option. Some people here put great comments that I totally agree with. I'd love to be to click a thumbs up 👍 to them or a Like bottom. I know there is a like, on other areas in ..."

We don't have control over that!

message 37: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Michael wrote: "I would make an "announcement" topic and put the announcements that come out via group email there rather than through email. We can easily ensure that we receive notification about the announcemen..."

I'm not sure how likely it would be that we would get rid of group messages altogether. If you don't like that you get the messages sent to your email I'm pretty sure there's an option to stop that so it only goes to your messages on Goodreads

message 38: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

PLC wrote: "I know that you need to get the word out for each project or event but I think some of the emails are repetitive. Perhaps edit that some?"

I'm not really sure what you'd like us to do with the repetition. The reason many of the messages are repetitive because we do the same things every month and it's much easier for the moderators and I to keep messages very similar and organized

message 39: by Cadence (new)

Cadence Cavanaugh (cadencecavanaugh) | 35 comments If it's allowed I would like to suggest my own novel. It's the first of a series and would love your input as avid readers.

The Passing

Once again, sorry if there are rules against this. I'm pretty new here ^.^

message 40: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Cadence wrote: "If it's allowed I would like to suggest my own novel. It's the first of a series and would love your input as avid readers.

The Passing

Once again, sorry if there are rules agains..."

This topic is actually just for suggestions on how to improve the group. There are places you can promote your book, but we don't allow authors to suggest their own book as a BOTM

message 41: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 5194 comments Could the books we've read list be changed to one long running list, preferably in alphabetical order. As it is now it really is a chore to search through it to find if a book has been read and it seems people completely ignore it when they make suggestions.

Also I know when the search for new moderators occurred there was mention of challenges and a buddy read system. Are those still being worked on or are they in place and I have just missed them?

message 42: by Michael (last edited Dec 06, 2017 01:55PM) (new)

Michael Selden | 14 comments Erika wrote: "Michael wrote: "I would make an "announcement" topic and put the announcements that come out via group email there rather than through email. We can easily ensure that we receive notification about..."

Actually, there doesn't seem to be a way to opt out. I tried every opt out checkbox, but the messages keep coming. Apparently direct emailing overrides this. In the case of emails, I need to keep entering my password—again and again—while notices for topics do not. Plus I don't get emails outside of GoodReads, while emails always do (and should, if I were to receive a private email).

Thus far, the only reliable way I've seen to stop the blanket emails is to leave groups where they are used a lot, which is why I left this group before. Don't get em wrong, I like emails—person to person communications on a one on one basis. But the announcement and "newsletter" type emails?——Not so much.

message 43: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Jasmine wrote: "Could the books we've read list be changed to one long running list, preferably in alphabetical order. As it is now it really is a chore to search through it to find if a book has been read and it ..."

It used to be that way but Goodreads only allows a certain about of characters in each comment and we ran out of space. It's much easier to use ctrl+F and search for books that way or the group bookshelf has all the read books listed and you should be able to sort them alphabetically.

Those are definitely being worked on!

message 44: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Dec 07, 2017 09:02AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Erika wrote: "Michael wrote: "I would make an "announcement" topic and put the announcements that come out via group email there rather than through email. We can easily ensure that we receive noti..."

I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be an opt out option. If we knew that people would check back in the group for announcements, it would be a really easy switch from messages to positing about it, but we have found that topics don't get any activity until after a message has been sent out notifying people that it is there.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Selden | 14 comments Erika wrote: "Michael wrote: "Erika wrote: "Michael wrote: "I would make an "announcement" topic and put the announcements that come out via group email there rather than through email. We can easily ensure that..."

Thanks for the reply, Erika. I understand. Yes, there is a way for it to work but it would require that each member "subscribe" to receive a notification when there was a new posting in the announcement topic, and that is unlikely. I see why the emails are necessary.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply . . . twice.

message 46: by Renee (new)

Renee (thefairynomad) Maybe explain what you can do on this group because I just joined some groups and besides book recs i'm not entirely sure what I can do. Do I contribute to the topics/discussions?

message 47: by sama (new)

sama (misswriterpants101) "everything must go"

message 48: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Renee wrote: "Maybe explain what you can do on this group because I just joined some groups and besides book recs i'm not entirely sure what I can do. Do I contribute to the topics/discussions?"

I'm not sure what you mean. You can participate in any of the topics available in the group. For most folders there is a sort of introductory topic that you can go to if you're not sure what something is

message 49: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

sama wrote: ""everything must go""

Do you have a specific problem that we can try to address?

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 5194 comments Is it possible to start the nominations earlier and hold the poll early so the result could be known sooner? I understand books for the month aren't really revealed until the day before reading begins and that makes it difficult to obtain the books from the library when you have a smaller library like my own.

« previous 1 3 4