Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > What are your favorite genre TV shows from past 5 years?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments I'm Finally catching up on my DVR viewing and looking for another Netflix or amazon available show to get into before the summer epics begin. I've heard some good things about various shows such as:
Colony, killjoys (looks a little cheesy maybe?), The OA (too YA?), preacher (I do like supernatural) or Travelers.
Any thoughts? What is your favorite "binge-worthy" genre show? What should I not miss?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) If you haven't seen Westworld you should check it out. I watch The Walking Dead and love it. Also like Game of Thrones but I'm not current on it.

I'm hearing good things about American Gods and The Handmaid's Tale but I don't subscribe to those services so I haven't watched them.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments oh yes- we watch Westworld and GoT live - hard not to! I'm not sure much is at that same level in terms of quality - I would like to watch both Handmaid's Tale and American Gods but it is really hard to find a reasonable way to access them!

I had to stop watching Walking Dead after I had my twins (3 now) - I just couldn't handle the anxiety it gave me anymore (amazing the ways kids change things that no one tells you about!) Though my husband and friends all still watch - and I'm the one that got them into it!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments Oh, Man in the High Castle is at the level of quality i think - but of course that means we are caught up with it. Expanse too.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments Killjoys is fun, but kind of dumb fun. In that category, Gotham & iZombie are better. The Expanse is very good.

message 6: by Susi (new)

Susi Wright | 18 comments Game of Thrones for quality and addiction! Shadowhunters for a bit of corny fun. Must check out Westworld, thanks.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments Dark Matter was pretty good, too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:48PM) (new)

Westworld - nifty reboot of robot world.
Game of Thrones - definitive epic fantasy of TV
The Expanse - political space opera
The Magicians - magic is a drug
Orphan Black - clone club
Humans - robot revolt
The Good Place - welcome to the afterlife
Stranger Things - creepy kids
Dark Matter - space oepra
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - nice adaptation
Person of Interest (season 3-5) - the AI wars
Continuum 1st+4th seasons - time travel
Mr. Robot, season 1 - hmmm, does this count as fantasy?
The Last Ship, season 1&2 - post-apocalyptic revival
Extant, season 2 - aliens!
The 100 season 1&2 - post-apocalytpic teens
Futurama
The Man in the High Castle - depressing
Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage if you like superheroes
Into the Badlands if you like post-apocalyptic Wuxia

I've qualified a few shows by season where I thought they varied a lot from year to year.

message 9: by Silvana (last edited Jun 05, 2017 05:19AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The Expanse
Star Wars: Rebels
Westworld
Dark Matter
Killjoys
Supergirl
Legion

Lots of good British shows as well:
Being Human (UK)
Doctor Who
In the Flesh (an excellent zombie series!)
Misfits

message 10: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 451 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm Finally catching up on my DVR viewing and looking for another Netflix or amazon available show to get into before the summer epics begin. I've heard some good things about various shows such as..."

The Walking Dead tops my list. Best show ever!

I disagree with others' comments on Killjoys (Syfy). I didn't intend to like it, but I'm completely hooked. I'm really looking forward to the new season.

I liked Dark Matter (Syfy) at first, but I didn't even finish watching last season. I may or may not get back into it.

The 100 (The CW) is excellent. Make it through the first 3 episodes and it morphs into much more than the beginning promises. Season 3 was shaky, but Season 4 was much better.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments The shows that I think are at the top of quality are:
GoT, Expanse, Westworld, Orphan Black, Stranger Things, Man in the high castle, Daredevil & Jessica Jones. Might put Magicians up there too. Oh and Legion!

i'm testing Dark Matter now- I think it's outgrowing some of its problems in this first season.

I tried but couldn't quite get into 100 - maybe didn't give it enough time; I had forgotten about Strange and Norrell! Glad to hear it was good- I may choose that one!

Is Mr Robot actually in the genre? I saw it had high marks but couldn't figure out how that would play out without getting into spoilers.

I started but trailed off on Extant and Humans - I should probably try both again.

Did anyone watch the OA or colony?

With Continuum - would you recommend skipping the middle seasons?

I like this conversation!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "Might put Magicians up there too...."

I wasn't a fan of the books, but the TV series really grew on me.

Rachel wrote: "Did anyone watch the OA or colony?..."

I watched the OA, and liked it in a "what did I just watch?" kind of way. Definitely different. About half the show is one character telling the story of her disappearance, which is totally weird, and you have to make up your own mind whether to beleive her.

I tried a couple of episodes of Colony, but I'm just not a Josh Holloway fan. Your milage may vary.

Rachel wrote: "I tried but couldn't quite get into 100 - maybe didn't give it enough time;..."

It started off as a CW teen drama of the time, but eventually found its legs and ran off in an interesting direction. Season 2 is worth watching.

Rachel wrote: "Is Mr Robot actually in the genre? I saw it had high marks but couldn't figure out how that would play out without getting into spoilers...."

Yeah, I put a question mark after it. You are free to consider it genre or not.

Rachel wrote: "I started but trailed off on Extant...."

Extant totally hit the reset button for season 2, killed off several characters and significantly changed directions. The first season was a trainwreck, so it was appropriate season 2 literally started with a train wreck.

Rachel wrote: "With Continuum - would you recommend skipping the middle seasons?..."

Tough call; how much free time do you have? The 1st season sets up a premise: some future terrorist escape to the past (present day Vacouver), accidentally taking a future cop with them. The terrorists want to change the future corporatocracy, the cop wants to preserve it in the hope of returning her (unaltered) family. The terrorists have some legit points about their future dystopia, but they aren't moral idealists. The middle seasons aren't bad, just not driven toward the main story. The 4th season focused toward an actual resolution.

message 13: by NekroRider (new)

NekroRider | 321 comments I watch a lot of stuff on Netflix without realising when it was made so hopefully these are accurate.

Sense 8, first season was just awesome. Second season was a disappointment and now they cancelled the show so that sucks. I wanted to at least get some kind of conclusion. Anyway, for those that haven't seen it it centres on a group of people from around the world that are from the same "clustre." They are basically a group with strong telepathic connections to one another that also allows them to transfer each others abilities (or act in each others' positions, so not superpowers basically just talents) in times of need while being across the world from one another.

I'm not sure if Marvel/superhero stuff counts, but I really loved Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Stranger Things and the OA were pretty cool too.

Haven't seen Expanse yet cause still need to read the books.
Was watching GoT but haven't bothered with the last couple seasons.

Also don't know if Being Human(UK) was made within the last five years, but I agree with the person who brought it up. Was an awesome series.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments NekroRider wrote: "...Haven't seen Expanse yet cause still need to read the books...."

I read the first book, but haven't gotten to the second yet & the series is into that realm now. I'm enjoying it more now. The TV show was pretty faithful to the book, but there are always some differences & I find them distracting.

That was the case with GoT, for me. I watched the first season & then read all the books (The first was difficult around Ned's time!) before the second season. I kind of wish I hadn't. There were a lot of differences that bothered me at the time. Now I couldn't care less about the books. I certainly won't buy the next one new. For me the TV series will be the canon. That's really weird, but Martin has managed it.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments Well I ended up watching 3 seasons of Dark Matter and feel annoyed that it's cancelled with that ending. At least Sense 8 got two hours to wrap it up !

Came back to this thread to help decide what to watch next