SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Series Talk > MAIDEN LANE series by Elizabeth Hoyt

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 207 comments Mod
So I'm not much of a historical romance reader, but Elyse convinced me to give the series a try. I'm also attempting to listen to them on audio while running or cross-stitching.

I loved Wicked Intentions and was hoping the next book was Silence/Mickey's story. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

I'm struggling a bit with Notorious Pleasures as Hero is a bit...sanctimonious. I don't buy Griffin's sudden change from antagonism to attachment. And Hero's fiance is awful.

Anyone feel similar? Or am I just the odd one out?

Also, please tell me Scandalous Desires is going to be everything I hope and dream it will be.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (cerestheories) Mickey is fabulous. He is never fully "redeemed" which I found to be lovely since we all like a naughty river pirate.

The series is really great. I listened to them as well and, though a couple were "eh," I still recommend it to everyone.

message 3: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Wicked Intentions is definitely my favorite... This series petered out for me, I haven't read the last one yet because the Lords of Chaos business didn't really appeal.

But agreed that's mostly all good and worth a rec.

It's funny how the same thing happened with the Pennyroyal Green series, I stopped with two books to go. Both series got to be too long, perhaps.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

The thing that appealed to me about the MAIDEN LANE series is that main plot arcs change or are resolved every few books.

Unfortunately, two of my nonfiction audiobook holds came in at the same time and I have to work through those before continuing MAIDEN LANE.

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments Mild spoiler but the sub trilogy of Ghost of St Giles stuff was definitely my favorite arc. Notorious Pleasures is actually one of my other favorites as I just found Hero and Griffin's chemistry totally swoony (Beatrice and Benedick vibes!). I agree with Mclaudia that the Lords of Chaos stuff isn't the most appealing but I own every book in this series and will finish it out, and this is one of the few series I'll reread. Love this universe.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Cat wrote: "Mild spoiler but the sub trilogy of Ghost of St Giles stuff was definitely my favorite arc. Notorious Pleasures is actually one of my other favorites as I just found Hero and Griffin's chemistry to..."

Cat, Notorious Pleasures is my favorite of the first three. I didn't enjoy Scandalous Desires as much as most -- it's my least favorite of the series. Granted, Mickey is a very interesting character, so much so that he over shadows Silence for me. He also is not fully redeemed, in my opinion. This is not a popular opinion, though. It's probably Hoyt's most popular book.

The Ghost arc is my favorite also. It starts strong with book 4, but 5 & 6 are two of my favorites in the genre, just loved both books.

I somewhat agree about the Lord of Chaos arc. It is definitely my least favorite theme, but I have enjoyed the romances featured. I am looking forward to the final novel in the series. From what we know of the main characters, I believe they are ones Hoyt will write very well.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

I just started Scandalous Desires on audio yesterday. I'm really enjoying it because I'm loving the narrator's Irish accent that she does for Mickey.

But I can already see what you mean, Joanna. Mickey is such a dynamic character.

I still didn't like Notorious Pleasures though! :P

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) I will have to check out the audio versions of these books because I have heard great things -- you had me at Irish accent.

I hope you enjoy Scandalous Desires. When I say it is my least favorite in the series, I still gave it 4 stars, so I still enjoyed it. Hoyt is one of my favorite authors in general.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Does anyone know how the story arcs in the series are divided? I've heard that it's every three or four books, but I haven't found a concrete breakdown.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) It's every 3 but it's stop and start either. 4 is well connected to the first 3, since the home is very central to it. 7 is connected to 6 with sibling leads, same with 9 & 10. You can kind of tell through how they are named. Each set of three have similar naming conventions.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Do they have particular names? Trying to nail down a project I'm working on for each "arc," like there's the Ghost of St. Giles arc, the Lords of Chaos arc, etc.

Thanks all!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) How I would describe the different arcs (and I am not aware if this has been explained by the author or not) are:

Arc 1: forming the women's society to support the maiden lane home. Not sure how to describe the titles, but they are adjective noun titles.
Arc 2: ghost of st. Giles arc. Titles follow a "title of something dark" them
Arc 3: wounded/disabled hero or heroine. Titles feature endearments.
Arc 4: lord of chaos and duke themes. Titles are "duke of something"

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Joanna wrote: "How I would describe the different arcs (and I am not aware if this has been explained by the author or not) are:

Arc 1: forming the women's society to support the maiden lane home. Not sure how t..."

Joanna, you are awesome!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Amanda wrote: "Joanna wrote: "How I would describe the different arcs (and I am not aware if this has been explained by the author or not) are:

Arc 1: forming the women's society to support the maiden lane home...."

Thank you! Hope you enjoy the series!

message 15: by Coral (new)

Coral (kiwicoral) | 27 comments Ok, I just finished Thief of Shadows and damn Winter is a sexy beast. Who knew? Get it Lady Isobel. Get. It.

message 16: by Jujubee (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments Just found this thread today!
I was a teenager in the 70s and built my reading heart around gothic tales and bodice rippers. I spent ALL my babysitting money on those beloved stories, which I could never show to anyone (stored them in a box in my closet). Yup. I got history ;)
All of EH's series run romantically true for me, but the Maiden Lane series has hit me in my reading heart. And the smexy times are *sigh*
I have read them all up to Duke of Pleasure #11. Most were 5* reads for me.
For me Thief of Shadows didn't work for me until the end, then I could finally feel the love Mickey (Mr. Rivers) had for Silence.
Still, those plot arcs that were mentioned do play out further into the series...so hang in there.
You must at least read to Dearest Rogue #8. I just couldn't wrap my head around these two as a couple, but EH pulled it off. What a gem. Truly. Heartwrenchingly romantic.
But stay for the Duke of Sin, Valentine Napier, the Duke of Montgomery. His story is pivotal to the Lords of Chaos arc, but this duke in love is far from the other ML heroes. Just deliciously cray-cray IMHO.
Thanks for letting me fangirl!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Fangirl it up! I do think Hoyt's books are a balm for those that miss the BR days (can't say I am one of them though). She definitely pushes the PC envelope.

message 18: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Ugh, book 12 is getting slammed by GR friends that I respect... I think I'll still read it for completeness sake but likely waiting for the library copy.

message 19: by Jujubee (last edited Oct 31, 2017 01:13PM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments Don't care what reviewers say either, LOL, at this point I am a total EH fangirl. With only one novel and two novellas left, I'm in.
This series (especially book one and eight) is re-readable goodness ;)

message 20: by Reeder (new)

Reeder | 15 comments Having finished volumes 1-11, I now wait for the library's hold queue on Duke of Desire. I do think the individual books are a mixed bag, and it will be too bad if I end up agreeing with the reviewers who feel that Desire ended the series on a weak note, but it can't undermine the extraordinary impact of the population that inhabits the world of Maiden Lane: working-class families, noble families, gentry, pirates, vigilantes, infantrymen, servants, actors, royal bastards, nabobs, criminals, paupers.

My favorite volume, incidentally, was Duke of Midnight. I felt the villain was a bit insipid after the gloriously horrible Vicar of Whitechapel, but the protagonists were so evenly matched. And Artemis's relationship with her brother was beautiful. (Love the variety of sibling relationships offered in this series.)

I actually came here to ask a question: has anyone seen any additional backstory on Sir Stanley Gilpin in any of Hoyt's interviews?

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Reeder wrote: "Having finished volumes 1-11, I now wait for the library's hold queue on Duke of Desire. I do think the individual books are a mixed bag, and it will be too bad if I end up agreeing..."

Love Duke of Midnight! Maybe my favorite, but it might be Lord of Darkness. I have read the Duke of Desire. Not my favorite, but c'mon it's still HOYT!

message 22: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Hey ladies, old thread but I've been revisiting/completing this series and wanted to drop a line.

I agree that this series is unique and wonderful in terms of time period and character variety. I love how unexpectedly well it works to have aristocracy mingling with slum-dwellers. But the individual books are hit or miss. Like @Jujubee, Dearest Rogue is the one that stands out to me, some outstanding yearning there. I am about to re-visit the Ghost of St Giles arc (books 4-6) as I remember those being some of the best ones.

@Amanda, I've been listening to the audiobooks too and I'm loving Ashford McNab as the narrator. I'm impressed with her versatility in portraying the different characters (except for the "other men" who are admittedly annoying and nasal). I've never listened to a lot of fiction on audio before so this has been a fun new thing to do. BUT I have little kids at home so sometimes have to dash to turn it off in the kitchen when someone wanders in, or when the bluetooth starts playing automatically in the car... :D

message 23: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Also I have not read the Legend of Four Soldiers series, can anyone attest to it being as good as Maiden Lane?

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) It was my introduction to EH. It has some really good ones too, books 2&3 are the best IMO. It does need to be read in order as the subplot is very connected.

message 25: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Awesome, I love involved series with a story that carries throughout! Thanks Joanna!

message 26: by Jujubee (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:46PM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments Tuuli wrote: "Also I have not read the Legend of Four Soldiers series, can anyone attest to it being as good as Maiden Lane?"

Hey, Tuuli! For me the Legend of the Four Soldiers were all 5 star reads. That said, EH wrote these over 10 years ago and her plots are not as complex as they are now, so the focus is mainly on the couple.
Darn, right? LOL
You might find some similarities btwn the series, but it is minimal.
I enjoyed their romantic journey to the HEA, for sure.
I didn't write many reviews back when I read this series (just new to GRs at the time), but I feel like book 3 and 4 where just that perfect blend of tortured heroes and the heroines that brought the light back into their lives ;)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) One thing I thought neat about 4 Soldiers is that the fairy tale is connected through the series too and relates to the story better than some do.

I know not everyone likes the fairy tales, but I enjoy them.

message 28: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Cool, thanks ladies! I will pick them up when I've done enough revisiting with Maiden Lane. Enjoying Mr Winter Makepeace today. ;)