Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Removing a Book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harper (new)

Harper Valentine (harpervalentine) | 3 comments If adding is so easy, can a book be removed just as easy?
I put up a book on my profile, that I wrote, because it was self published on lulu. I gave it to Beta Readers to read and the consensus was it wasn't right, so it has been removed and is no longer available in the format- I've already been shouted at for trying to change the cover and adjust the info stating the book is no longer in print and also the books I have released since are under an alias (for reason, to long a boring to explain), so I really don't need...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
On my profile any longer. I am trying to get publishers/agents interested in the final version and I don't think this book being up is going to help.
So please nice librarians, please do me a favour and delete it for me.
Thank you
HV

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments If a book has been formally published, whether by yourself or a commercial publishing house, then a record must remain on Goodreads. If you have re-released the book under another name, we link the two editions, with the original name as primary author.

In this case, released via Lulu counts as published.

message 3: by Empress (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Harper.

Your request is not really up to us for a few reasons.

First, Goodreads is a cataloguing website. As a cataloguing website we try to retain all information regarding books editions. Therefor we do not delete editions. See here.

Second, When the data is changed that also reflect on the people that have shelved the book You can add into the description that the book is no longer available (which you have done), as long as that is in addition to the description not a replacement. Instead of replacing cover images we add new editions.

Third, Librarians are volunteer users and we have to abide by the rules or we would loose the privilege to edit and amend the database. We do not come up with the rules, but we have to follow them. If you want your book deleted you need to contact Goodreads directly, but unless you have legal concerns you will get the same reply - We do not delete books.

Once the book is published we will add a new edition into the database with it's own title and cover depending on how the book is published. Also as an author you will be able to set the new edition as primary.

message 4: by Harper (new)

Harper Valentine (harpervalentine) | 3 comments Thanks Ellie
:)