Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > August Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1204 comments Mod
It's time for August nominations! There is no theme this month, but please make sure that the book has been written by a woman, is at least 50 years old, and has not been previously read by the group (check the read shelf).

Nominations are 'til the 15th of this month. They are limited to two per person. Please also state whether or not you're available to lead the discussion.

message 2: by Ami (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:25AM) (new)

Ami I would be interested in reading The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton;

or

Nectar in a Sieve, by Kamala Markandaya. This being a lesser known novel, here is the Wikipedia Page for further information not found on the GR platform.

If I have dedicated and active participants, then yes, I will moderate.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments I had no idea SE Hinton was a woman.

message 4: by Ami (new)

Ami Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I had no idea SE Hinton was a woman."

Yep! Susan Eloise Hinton wrote this cutting edge novel at the age of "sixteen..." Can you believe it? It blows my mind.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments Wow! To write an enduring classic at 16 yrs--Amazing!

message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1209 comments Mod
Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska Can lead.

message 7: by Carol (last edited Jun 14, 2017 07:23PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 682 comments I nominate:

In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes. 256 pages; first published in 1947; and

Earth and High Heaven by Gwethalyn Graham. 326 pages; first published in 1944.

I changed my mind and edited my first nomination.

I can lead.

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Reminder nominations end on Thursday June 15!

message 9: by Charlene (new)

August's poll is now available.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Charlene (new)

As of right now, August's poll is a tie between the Outsiders and In a Lonely Place! Please vote!

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 682 comments Charlene, why doesn't this poll show up if someone clicks on the Poll link at the group landing page? Just wondering.

Oh, and changing your vote to In a Lonely Place is another option :)

message 12: by Charlene (new)

Carol wrote: "Charlene, why doesn't this poll show up if someone clicks on the Poll link at the group landing page? Just wondering.

Oh, and changing your vote to In a Lonely Place is another option :)"

I didn't realize that I should have checked a box for it to display a certain way. I am not even sure what I missed. We are using poll 36.

message 13: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Jun 26, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1209 comments Mod
I think we are on poll #37. I see two polls for this month.

You might be able to edit the correct poll. If you can check the box that says "Feature this poll on the group homepage," it might list it first. I tried, but can't edit the poll. If anyone remembers how to make the current poll #1, let us know.

message 14: by Charlene (new)

I think I have the poll edited correctly now. I didn't know that I could edit a poll while it was in use. I went with the one that most people voted on.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 682 comments Charlene wrote: "I think I have the poll edited correctly now. I didn't know that I could edit a poll while it was in use. I went with the one that most people voted on."

Thank you, Charlene!

message 16: by Charlene (new)

In a Lonely Place won for August.

message 17: by Mizzou (new)

Mizzou | 177 comments In a Lonely Place, by Dorothy B. Hughes is one of the four suspense novels of the 1940s included in a book entitled Women Crime Writers, edited by Sarah Weinman. The "blurb" describes the Hughes book as "one of the first full-scale literary portraits of a serial murderer. The streets of Los Angeles become a setting for random killings, and Hughes ventures, with unblinking exactness, into the mind of the killer. In the process she conjures up a potent mood of postwar dread and lingering trauma."

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 682 comments Mizzou wrote: "In a Lonely Place, by Dorothy B. Hughes is one of the four suspense novels of the 1940s included in a book entitled Women Crime Writers, edited by Sarah Weinman. The "blurb" describes the Hughes bo..."

Indeed. Be still my heart :)