Christian Goodreaders discussion

Scriptural Study > Books about the Bible

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (last edited Aug 02, 2009 05:52PM) (new)

Werner | 1474 comments When I joined Goodreads in February 2008 and set up my bookshelves, I dumped almost all the nonfiction books I'd ever read (that I could remember, at least) into one big "nonfiction" shelf. That didn't make for very effective browsing; so I recently set up some more shelves for particular kinds of nonfiction. One of them is "biblical studies;" and that shelf has a fair number of books on it (39).

Up to now, I usually haven't posted books I've read onto a group "read" shelf unless I've gotten around to writing reviews of them. The books in that group mostly haven't been reviewed; I've concentrated on reviewing fiction instead, and I felt that reviews of some of these might be a bit dry, since most of the books tend to be "scholarly." But most are also perfectly suitable and useful for reading by intelligent laymen and women who want to seriously learn about the Bible; so it occurred to me that they would make good additions to our "read" shelf even if they don't have reviews yet. (Lack of real knowledge of, and engagement with reading of, the Bible is one of the most serious weaknesses of the Church today, IMO; so anything this group does that contributes to better Bible study is a good thing!) So, this week, I'm going to try to add as many of these as I can to our "read" shelf. Eventually, I hope to review most of them, too (if anyone wants a review of a particular title right away, I can try to oblige). Hopefully, they can provide a good list of resources for self-education about the Bible.

message 2: by Jon (last edited Aug 03, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments Woot! I'm always looking for a new Bible study. I'm actually between studies (or suspended studies) as my most recent focus for church has been re-developing a praise band. Once that gets settled (later towards Fall) I should be able to find a Bible study or small group to join and get back to serious Bible study.

I look forward to your additions to give me inspiration and insight.

Blessings for this week,

Jon

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1474 comments Thanks, Jon! And best wishes for your praise band!

One caveat on the books I'll be adding: since I graduated from seminary in 1981 (M.A. in Religion, not M.Div. :-)), and haven't taught Bible at the college level since 1987, these tend to be older books, not "cutting edge" --though they include some newer books I've reviewed since then for The Christian Librarian. But the information in them is still sound; the basic paradigm of scholarly knowledge in the field hasn't changed that greatly.

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1474 comments The book I just finished reading, Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God, by Paul Copan of Palm Beach Atlantic Univ., is an excellent resource for a reader's personal education about the Bible, its background and interpretation. It's also furnished with questions, organized by the book's chapters, for group discussions, which I think would be fruitful. (My review is here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/919548618 .

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Blake | 21 comments I really enjoyed reading "Abraham: One God, Three Wives, Five Religions" by Frances Worthington. Old Testament, obviously. Interesting reading.
Abraham: One God, Three Wives, Five Religions