The Sword and Laser discussion

Long Way to a Small Angry Planet > LWSAP: Mass Effectish?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fredrik (last edited Jun 06, 2017 12:51AM) (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments Sorry I'm so late to the discussion, but I wanted to chime in and say two things. 1) I really enjoyed the book, once I got used to the rather light and fluffy tone. 2) The setting really reminded me of Mass Effect, M2 specifically. Not that I'm accusing it of being a ripoff, because it's totally it's own thing and it's not like Mass Effect is in itself uniquely new and original, but...

It was funny how easy it was to picture certain of the characters in the book as ME peoples, particularily Andrisk as Turians and Aeolians as Asari. The others weren't as obvious, but by then I was on a roll and couldn't stop myself from drawing parallells. So I came to think of the Harmagians as.. Hanar? The Quelin felt like cross between Krogans and Vogons, though the not directly encountered Rosk could also be a Krogan-analogue. And the relationship between Jenk and Lovey obviously has a match on the Normandy. I could compare the Torani to the Quarians, but that would stretch my entire thesis well past the breaking point, since the nomadic lifestyle is pretty much the only thing they have in common, so I won't do that. ;)

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8482 comments I think you can kinda-sorta map the various characters and races onto other SF properties, which says to me that Chambers is tapping into something archetypal here.

To quote my review from a couple years ago:
One might be tempted to compare it to famous and familiar sci-fi worlds. It's a little like Firefly, it's a little like Cowboy Bebop, it's a little like Mass Effect, it's a little like Farscape, it's a little like Ringworld, it's a little like Well World... Which ultimately means it's its own thing.

For instance, the whole "tough guy warrior race" is a staple. The Klingons, Krogans, Kzinti, Kree, Ko-Dan, Khund, Kroot, Kull... say, I'm starting to see a pattern here.

(For those scoring at home, that's Star Trek, Mass Effect, Known Space, Marvel, Last Starfighter, DC, Warhammer and Stargate.)