The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.12 - Amanda A's Task - Passed to McCathy: Trip to Yellowstone

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:02PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4932 comments Mod
25.12 - Amanda A's Task passed to McCathy: Trip to Yellowstone

I just got back from my first trip to Yellowstone National Park and I had a blast! I spent three full days there, and with the mountains, lakes, canyons, geysers, hot springs, and wildlife roaming about, there was never a dull moment and plenty to see.

This is a TWO book task based on my trip – please choose two different options below and read one book for each option. No books with the main page genre Children or Kids can be used.
REQUIRED: Include in your post the options that you chose.

Option 1: I’m a city gal and have never been to that part of the country but I absolutely loved the change in scenery and all that fresh air! I didn’t realize how massive Yellowstone was and was surprised to learn that it spans over 2 million acres through Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
For this option read a book with a setting of at least 75% in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho or set in Yellowstone Park. REQUIRED: If the setting is not evident on the book’s main page, please include a reference or quote from the book when you post.

Option 2: My favorite sights in the park had to be the different water features. But among them the most memorable were the hot springs, mud pots and other geothermal features. They were awe-inspiring with all the different colors, steam and bubbling water, but I didn’t realize just how dangerous they were (as evidenced by the man who fell into a hot spring last year and whose body dissolved, among other stories). Glad I heard the story after our trip, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have gone out on the trails!
For this option read a book with one of the following types of water features in the title: lake, river, creek, geyser or waterfall. Plurals and possessives are acceptable but no other variations.

Option 3: Can’t talk about Yellowstone without mentioning Old Faithful. Old Faithful is one of the most famous geysers in the world, erupting about every 74 minutes according to their website or 91 minutes according to some others. I totally lucked out because I didn’t have to wait since it erupted within 1 minute of my arriving there 😊 I’m glad I saw it but thought it was over-rated and not as exciting as I thought it would be.
For this option read a book where an author’s initials can be found in “OLD FAITHFUL”. Middle initials can be ignored, choose one author for works with multiple authors.

Option 4: As soon as we entered the park, we saw bison (aka buffalo) aplenty which got me thinking about history. Yellowstone was a hunting ground for the Native American tribes in the area who depended on the buffalo for survival, using it for food, shelter, and clothing. It’s quite sad reading about how the settlers (aka the White Man) killed the buffalo almost to extinction in their effort to eliminate the Native Americans.
In honor of the native people of this land, read a book whose main character is Native American or written by an author of Native American descent. This challenge is about Yellowstone, so your selection should be about the natives of USA. REQUIRED: If it is not evident on the book’s or author’s main page, please include a reference or quote from the book when you post.

Option 5: We were also able to see elk and deer and various types of birds but just missed the bear (it went up into the trees). All in all, it was a great trip and we are already thinking about where we want to go next!
So for this final option, read a book with a main page genre of Travel, Nature, or Adventure. Or read a book with a main page genre of Death, because after hearing the hot springs story, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it or looking up other stories at Yellowstone! The genres can be stand alone or embedded.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4932 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 963 comments Can you please verify What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding for travel?

message 6: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Brooke wrote: "Can you please verify What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding for travel?"

Confirmed for Travel, enjoy!

message 7: by Jayme (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:52PM) (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would you accept one of the Mercy Thompson books? I believe the main character Mercy Thompson is Native American. I am considering Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

message 8: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 963 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Confirmed for Travel, enjoy!"

Thanks, Cathy!

I missed out on my family's trip to Yellowstone because I was in college and working a summer job. It sounds amazing! One of these days I'll make it there. :)

message 9: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would you accept one of the Mercy Thompson books? I believe the main character Mercy Thompson is Native American. I am considering Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs"

I love that series! I know Mercy Thompson is half Native American so yes it works! Enjoy!

Another series I've heard where the MC is Native American is the Jane Yellowrock series if anyone is looking for another series. ~ Yep, she is Cherokee so this series works as well!

message 10: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Brooke wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Confirmed for Travel, enjoy!"

Thanks, Cathy!

I missed out on my family's trip to Yellowstone because I was in college and working a summer job. It sounds amazing! One of these d..."

I HIGHLY recommend going at least once! It's really beautiful and there's nothing quite like it (at least for someone like me who doesn't go out of the city often) :)

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 981 comments Great task! I live 90 minutes from Yellowstone and go several times a year. I spent two days there last week.

For anyone having difficulty finding a book for this task, I highly recommend Courting Carrie in Wonderland by Carla Kelly for Option 1 of this task. Here is my review of the book:

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I love Yellowstone National Park, so I was excited when I heard about this book. However, there is so much more to it than a romance set in Yellowstone. Real pioneers in Yellowstone intermingle with the main characters, providing a rich background on the infrastructure development of America's first national park. I also enjoyed the description of how the buffalo were being protected after their numbers had been decimated by hunters as contrasted with how the wolves were being treated in Yellowstone. The main character's struggle to find peace after his war experiences also resonated with me. For some reason, just being in Yellowstone soothes and renews my spirit. It was fun reading about the early history of some of my favorite locations in Yellowstone. When I visit next month I will be looking for the locations I didn't recognize. This book has made it to my favorites bookshelf.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Please verify Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore as Adventure.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1276 comments Please verify The 5 Greatest Warriors for option 5: adventure. Thanks!

message 14: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Pamela wrote: "Great task! I live 90 minutes from Yellowstone and go several times a year. I spent two days there last week.

For anyone having difficulty finding a book for this task, I highly recommend [book:Co..."

I was there last week too! Great weather (except for the hour it rained Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons) and not as crowded as I heard the summers can get :) Book sounds great too, thanks for the recommendation!

message 15: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Melanie wrote: "Please verify Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore as Adventure."

Confirmed for Adventure, enjoy!

message 16: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Amy wrote: "Please verify The 5 Greatest Warriors for option 5: adventure. Thanks!"

Confirmed for adventure, enjoy!

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Can I get this noted for adventure please Mars One

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Could you verify Adventure genre for this one please?

You Only Live Twice

thanks

message 19: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments JennRenee wrote: "Can I get this noted for adventure please Mars One"

message 20: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify Adventure genre for this one please?

You Only Live Twice

thanks"

message 21: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Could you verify H is for Hawk for NATURE? Thanks!

message 22: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments BriKie wrote: "Could you verify H is for Hawk for NATURE? Thanks!"

Confirmed for Nature, enjoy!

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3765 comments Please confirm TRAVEL and ADVENTURE for
Carrying Albert Home The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam

message 24: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm TRAVEL and ADVENTURE for
Carrying Albert Home The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam"

Confirmed for Travel & Adventure, enjoy!

message 25: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments If someone wants to know more about the gruesome deaths you can experience in Yellowstone, I recommend:

Death in Yellowstone Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park by Lee H. Whittlesey

After this you really think twice about leaving any path or going too near a hot spring.

message 26: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Fandury wrote: "If someone wants to know more about the gruesome deaths you can experience in Yellowstone, I recommend:

[bookcover:Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park|2087..."

I saw that! Thought about getting it but think I've read a lot of the stories online already. Might still though because I'm a little fascinated by it :P

message 27: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Can I get The Masked City and The Burning Page approved for Adventure?

message 28: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Brooke wrote: "Can I get The Masked City and The Burning Page approved for Adventure?"

Both books confirmed for Adventure, enjoy!

message 29: by Becky P (new)

Becky P (zebrafairy) | 240 comments Hi can I please have nature confirmed for A Tale of Trees: The battle to save Britain's ancient woodland. Thank you

message 30: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Becky P wrote: "Hi can I please have nature confirmed for A Tale of Trees: The battle to save Britain's ancient woodland. Thank you"

Confirmed for Nature enjoy!

message 32: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Morgan wrote: "Could I have Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas confirmed for adventure? Thanks!"

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Please confirm Summer in Orcus for Adventure.

message 34: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Melanie wrote: "Please confirm Summer in Orcus for Adventure."

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments can I get Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory approved for death as a genre?

message 36: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Dee wrote: "can I get Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory approved for death as a genre?"

Confirmed for Death, enjoy!

message 37: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Can I please get Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief verified for Adventure.

message 38: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Nicola wrote: "Can I please get Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief verified for Adventure."

message 39: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 290 comments Can I get In a Sunburned Country approved for option 5, MPG travel?

message 40: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Siobhan wrote: "Can I get In a Sunburned Country approved for option 5, MPG travel?"

Confirmed for Travel, enjoy!

message 41: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 290 comments Thank you! it's one of two books by him I haven't read, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

message 42: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Have heard good things about that book so hopefully you enjoy it too!

message 43: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 276 comments Could you please confirm The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story for travel, under option 5?

Thank you!

message 44: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Shawn wrote: "Could you please confirm The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story for travel, under option 5?

Thank you!"

Confirmed for Travel (it also works for Adventure), enjoy!

message 45: by Trish (last edited Aug 25, 2017 03:41AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Can I use Killers of the Flower Moon for option 4, even though its non-fiction? I've just managed to get a copy, and I've already read a group read this challenge, so I'm trying to find a home for it.

message 46: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Absolutely! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

message 47: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Thanks.