The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Brooklyn's Task: Lake Lida Love

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:06PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4925 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Brooklyn's Task: Lake Lida Love

Until I turned 16, each summer my family took a vacation in Minnesota to spend a week in a rustic resort on a picturesque lake. My grandparents, my grandmother’s brother, my godparents and my cousins all went with us, which basically meant the clan took over the resort for the week. It was always my favorite week of the entire summer.

Chose from one of the following options.
REQUIRED: State which option you choose.
No books with the main page genre of “children’s” or “kid’s” may be used for this task.

Option 1 – No one wanted to ride in the car with me, because all I wanted to do was read. We went to this lake resort beginning in 1974, and our last summer there was in 1989. Read a book first published between July 1974 and July 1989, inclusive. REQUIRED: State the date your book was first published.

Option 2 – As long as the sun was out, we spent our afternoons swimming in the lake. Read a book with the word “lake” intact in the title or subtitle or that has a picture of a lake on the cover. REQUIRED: If choosing the cover option, include the cover in your post.

Option 3 – There was no television in the cabin, so when it was raining we would play cards or board games. Read a book written by a single author whose initials can be found in the words MONOPOLY or TRIVIAL PURSUIT. The name of one game or the other must be used - you cannot combine letters from the two games. Spaces determine names. All author initials must be included. Letters may only be used as often as they appear.

message 2: by Brooke (last edited Jun 30, 2017 07:23AM) (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Approved

Harmony by Carolyn Parkhurst Lost Treasure by Kate Sherwood Working in the Northwest Woods by Dennis Willard

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Not approved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4925 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 105 comments Hi Brooklyn. Does Tales Of Total Forgiveness by Julia Fisher work for option 2? There is a body of water in the background, behind the two people. Many thanks. :)

message 6: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Hey Paul. I can't tell from the cover photo if it is a lake or an ocean/sea. There isn't a description on Goodreads. Do you have any information from a blurb or review that gives any indication? The body of water needs to be a lake to qualify.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 105 comments Brooke wrote: "Hey Paul. I can't tell from the cover photo if it is a lake or an ocean/sea. There isn't a description on Goodreads. Do you have any information from a blurb or review that gives any indication? Th..."

ok, thanks. It dosn't state lake so I'll choose something else.

message 8: by Susan (last edited Jun 07, 2017 11:06PM) (new)

Susan | 672 comments Does this cover work for option 2?

Harmony by Carolyn Parkhurst
The setting is a lakeside camp.

Thank you-

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Susan wrote: "Does this cover work for option 2?

Harmony by Carolyn Parkhurst
The setting is a lakeside camp.

Thank you-"

Looks like a lake to me. Enjoy!

message 10: by Rochella (new)

Rochella (rosesbookgarden) | 108 comments Does this work for a cover with a lake?
Lost Treasure by Kate Sherwood

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Rochella wrote: "Does this work for a cover with a lake?
Lost Treasure by Kate Sherwood"

Looks like a lake to me. Enjoy!

message 12: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Margaret wrote: "This looks like a lake to me; I want to make sure it looks like one to you as well. My edition doesn't have any information about the cover picture.
Working in the Northwest Woods by Dennis Willard"

I would definitely call that a lake. I've been to that area of the Pacific Northwest - it is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy the book.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1508 comments Great task! I love that part of Minnesota - we vacation not too far from Lake Lida.

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 960 comments Sue T wrote: "Great task! I love that part of Minnesota - we vacation not too far from Lake Lida."

Nice! And thank you. :)
I was just able to go back there for the first time in nearly 30 years a couple of weeks ago. It hadn't changed a bit, so I was able to even find the dirt road leading to where the resort used to be. That part of MN is so beautiful!