Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Book Goals

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Does anyone have any goals related to books? Mine is to read all books on my little shelf and get that shelf empty.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Well, I have a goal to read 100 books this year. I'm already past 30.

I have two shelves devoted to books I want to trade/wild release/otherwise get rid of. I'd like those to be empty so I can be rid of them.

I made the promise to myself not to *buy* any more books until I reach the bottom of Mt TBR. (Bookmooch doesn't count.)

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) | 17 comments I want to finish and publish at least two of the four books I'm currently writing. This will become much easier after I get done with all the headaches that go with trying to sell a house and buy a new one...

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (HockeyGoddess) | 8 comments Kudos to you all for great goals! Sean, I wish I were far enough along to consider publication efforts, but maybe next year!

Like Laura, I also have set a goal to read 100 books this year. I may have bitten off more than I can chew as I've only finished one of the books in my stack. However, I have a vacation coming up in a week and I plan to do some damage to my TBR pile while poolside!

I also made a goal to donate at least 5 read/not-my-style/never-going-to-get-to books for every new book I buy. We'll see how that goes, as parting with books is always very challenging for me, even if I didn't like it or know I will never get around to reading it!!

And I have on my bucket list, to read every book I own. That may take a lifetime, but it will be a joyful process!!

Good luck with all your goals, everyone!!

message 5: by Chriss (new)

Chriss I've got the goal to read 100 books this year.

message 6: by Tristen (new)

Tristen (totallybookedsolid) | 4 comments My goals currently are to read all the classics and to expand the types of books I read. oh and to find time to read again like I use to.

message 7: by Brent (new)

Brent | 12 comments Sean,

If you are serious about publishing some books this year, you might be interested in the program I am using. It is a training program created by two best-selling authors named Richard Paul Evans and Robert Allen. They are teaching us all about the entire business, including help with editing and marketing. They are also endorsing our books. If you are interested I could probably get you into the next class. I think there are still a couple spots left. If you want to look at some more info on it check out my website mybookwise.com/brentcrane. By the way, part of the program includes the development of a website to help you push your sells, etc. This is a separate website, but the program is awesome. We have one author in our group working on a deal to go on Oprah and another working on a tv show based off his book.

message 8: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 23 comments I plan on reading all books in The Other Boleyn Girl series before I read anything else.

message 9: by Llama (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I just finshed them and they are really good, now I am reading some Nicholas Sparks books that a friend lent me. I'm reading Dear John right now and can't put it down.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Llama - I read The Other Boleyn Girl and The Queen's Fool; I tried to read the Constant Princess but really couldn't get going with it so I put it aside. Maybe next up with be "The Virgin's Lover". What did you think of The Constant Princess and The Virgin's Lover?

message 11: by Llama (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I actually really liked The Constant Princess. I liked how it showed the differences in the Spanish court and how Catherine probably grew up to how life at an English court was. I have read and researched a lot about King Henry and all of his wives and I liked how Gregory portrayed what may have possibly happened between Arthur and Katherine as there was always speculation about their relationship.
The Virgin's Lover was also really good. It has a lot of intrigue in it and shows how hard it was for Elizabeth to become the Queen she became. I thought it was a pretty easy read and I had no trouble getting into it. I read most of the books in two days each.
I just picked up another book about Lady Jane, who is one of my favorites, just because not much is really known about her since her reign was only days long. Its written by Allsion Weir and its called Innocent Traitor. I haven't started yet cause I am trying to finish up some Nicholas Sparks books right now but it looks good.

message 12: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (CeciAlbiceleste) | 2 comments I also intendto read 100 books this year :) So far, so good.

message 13: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) In September I started a challenge with myself to read 75 books in a year (so by August 31/08). I think I'm 48 books in, with over 5 months left.

message 14: by Chloe (last edited Mar 10, 2008 01:01PM) (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 16 comments I am determined to break that 3-digit mark this year. It used to be no trouble to get through 100 books, but ever since I got back into school my spare time is minimal. Seeing that it's March now and I've only finished 23, I will have my work cut out for me. I'll have to really knuckle down during summer break to make up for all the reading time I'm losing to classes.

message 15: by Jasveen (new)

Jasveen | 5 comments A goal that i take with me into each coming year and after every buying spree is that i will not buy any more books till i finish the ones i havnt read still adorning my shelves. why is it so hard to stick to? all my budgeting goes haywire every month with my buys :(
have no goals with number of books to be read except- keep a running list and see how many i finish in a year- somehow never gotten down to it. though i average about 10-15 a month.

message 16: by Jasveen (new)

Jasveen | 5 comments Hi Llama,
Nicholas sparks along with georgette heyer top my feel good read list.

message 17: by Llama (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments Yeah, I can't put down the Sparks books. Just finished True Believer last night now on to the last one I have Nights In Rodanthe. I am going to have to visit the books store to get more. Never read Heyer, I'll have to look her up too, thanks.

message 18: by Jasveen (new)

Jasveen | 5 comments llama,
enjoyed both of them. went on a buying spree again yesterday. its seems to have become a favourite pick me up. The best Heyer book to start with is Grand sophy!

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (JediRach) | 7 comments I want to read at least 50 books this year.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateduttera) I'd never thought of making a goal, but since I've had a sort of generalized notion of wanting to read more this year, that might be a good idea, just to have something to shoot for. Maybe 50 by the end of the year, which would mean about 6 books a month for the rest of 2008. hmm. Shoot for the stars i guess.

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry My goal is to read 52 books. In past years I have tried to do 104 (2 books a week), I get close, but no cigar. I had a baby late last year so I decided to change my goal. Right now I'm re-reading Harry Potter before I start the final book, which has really slowed me down! My other goal is to get all my books not on my TBR list out of my house. I'd like to get my TBR list below 100, but it's so hard!

message 22: by Foxthyme (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments My goal each year is not to drop the book I'm reading in the tub...