Play Book Tag discussion

Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
This topic is about Anne of Avonlea
June 2017: Coming of Age > Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Jun 04, 2017 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

annapi | 4903 comments (Oops, had to edit this as I accidentally reviewed Anne of the Island instead.)

After watching (and enjoying) the new series "Anne with an E" I decided to re-read the Green Gables series. I tried re-reading Anne of Green Gables, but found myself skimming over so many pages that I really couldn't count it as one of my books this year. I just wanted to see what they changed in the series.

I did much better with book 2, so I can count this towards my reading goal. This one goes through Anne's years as Avonlea's teacher, while Gilbert is teaching at neighboring White Sands. Marilla has taken in her cousin's twin children, Dora and Davy. I don't remember much of any of the series as I read them so long ago, but even as I enjoyed this (and book 1) I found a lot that was rather corny. It really is representative of the writing style of the time, very syrupy, but still with an underlying depth that the reader can appreciate.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5630 comments I never read these as a child and have been reading the series for a couple of years now. Great when I need a book "set in Canada" or with a "red-haired main character"!

I think I'm up to # 5 in the series now. Have to admit I enjoyed the books when she's still a relatively young person more than her as a married woman.

message 3: by LibraryCin (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 8115 comments I preferred the first book over the others (though it's been years since I read them (I would like to reread), so I may be remembering the movies (from the 80s with Megan Follows). I easily preferred the first movie to the rest.