Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Underwhelming books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) what's a book or books that you found too underwhelming and just couldn't finish it, wish you hadn't finished, or was "okay" but didn't impress you enough from all the hype?

my TOP for this year actually would be Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves. I had an ARC for it and had to make it my very first (HOPEFULLY ONLY) DNF. I got to about 35-36%? It just wasn't cutting it for me.

my other ones I REALLY REALLY hate to say (and sorry for you fans of these out there) is Marie Lu books ESPECIALLY her Young Elites ugh! I still haven't read the last one since I'm a sucker for trilogies BUT I just don't like her style and the young elites were just plain horrible for me and I had a hard time pushing through them.....

message 2: by Louise (last edited Jun 04, 2017 01:29AM) (new)

Louise | 102 comments For me this year its Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I finished it tho, but wish i didnt waste the time. I was hoping for a better end, and more action but didnt get any. I feel this book is overhyped and it was a waste of my time and money. Heartless by Marissa Meyer

The second one is Dawn Study by Maria V. Snyder. Its the last book in the "new" series about Yelena and Valek, and I was so dissappointed. I guess i finished it because i was hoping it would get better and I loved the study series . Dawn study was so slow, repetative and I could predict everything that happend. So so disappointed in this book :( Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6) by Maria V. Snyder

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments Stalking Jack the Ripper - big disappointment for me. I thought I would love it, but not even close.

Anna Dressed in Blood - I had hoped it would be a little scary or at least unsettling, but again, not even close.

message 4: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) Mine's definitely The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass . So many people who have a really similar bookish taste to me loved it and I thought I would. I didn't. I hated it. It's so hyped and once I read it, I didn't understand why whatsoever.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Suzevelyn wrote: "Mine's definitely The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass. So many people who have a really similar bookish taste to me loved it and I thought I would. I didn't. I hated it. It's so hyped and once I rea..."

Well, I guess I made the right decision NOT to read it.

message 6: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) - ̗̀ le trouble ̖́- wrote: "Suzevelyn wrote: "Mine's definitely The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass. So many people who have a really similar bookish taste to me loved it and I thought I would. I didn't. I hated it. It's so hy..."

Yes, you did. You're not missing out on anything.

message 7: by K. (new)

K. (keiiksm) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Night Circus The only reason I finished this book was the writing; it's magical, gorgeous and atmospheric. The plot bored me and the romance made me want to throw it away.

message 8: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments The Fall by Bethany Griffin. I just absolutely hated it. It was way too slow for me. It is an Edgar Allen Poe retelling, so if you like him maybe you can read it. I just really did not enjoy it though.

message 9: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) @Suzevelyn 😂😂 funny story..... So my 15 year old sister LOVES these books and months back (or last year?) I surprised her and bought her the newest book in the series. So before my 25th last year, I decided to not read these but still debating. But really deep inside I didn't want to haha. But then one mom I help babysit for gave me The Selection for my 25th bday last year and yeah......😂😂😂 now I'm committed. I don't want to be rude you know? So I ended up getting books 2-4 from thriftbooks and I'll read them just for her haha. Not my type of story tbh but now I have to read them lol

message 10: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) ~Bellegirl91~ wrote: "@Suzevelyn 😂😂 funny story..... So my 15 year old sister LOVES these books and months back (or last year?) I surprised her and bought her the newest book in the series. So before my 25th last year, ..."

YES. I don't know how many times this has happened to me. I hear about all these books that people I know love, but when I read the synopsis, it doesn't like my type of story, and I can't tell these people that because I try not to be that one rude person, and then like two weeks later, I'll get this surprise gift in the mail and it's that book.
I can totally relate to having to read books because it feels like a commitment. And, who knows, you might actually like The Selection. In any case, I think you made the right decision committing yourself to reading the books. I think it's great that you're reading them in order not to be rude.

message 11: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) Suzevelyn wrote: "~Bellegirl91~ wrote: "@Suzevelyn 😂😂 funny story..... So my 15 year old sister LOVES these books and months back (or last year?) I surprised her and bought her the newest book in the series. So befo..."

yeah....haha I HAVE told people flat out of what books sound good to me or not BUT in this case I hadn't talked to the mom about anything with this book and so I guess she got it for me cause she was thinking of me. so yeah, I don't want to be one of those rude people who get a book I don't want to read as a gift or maybe they got it for me just cause, I'm not going to be rude and ignore the book. If I don't end up liking it or thought it was okay, I'll tell them. but I'm definitely one who reads and then tells them my opinion after reading it. so I hate when there's people out there who'll do the opposite and pretend they read it. they should have the decency to at least read the book or attempt it. and if you don't want to finish it fine but at least give it a shot cause it's the thought that counts right? and good for you for giving books a try when you don't really want to lol

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 8 comments Little Women. I read it because I've been meaning to for ages and never got around to it, but I wound up feeling very underwhelmed by the characters and the writing.

message 13: by Tecla (new)

Tecla RoseBlood by A.G. Howard

Roseblood by AG Howard. It was soooooooooooooo boring.

message 14: by Bhawisha (new)

Bhawisha | 18 comments For me it would be 'The Hobbit' and 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.'

Both felt over-hyped and I regret spending time on them.

message 15: by Ayan (new)

Ayan | 19 comments The Lockwood and Co. series has such high ratings, but I found it a bit boring :/
It's not bad, but just expected more

message 16: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments I completely love the idea and the story of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken, but I thought it to be sort of slow. Idk if it was because I was busy at the time of reading it or because it was very hyped up. Either way, it wasn't exactly 'fast-paced' for me. I'll definitely give Wayfarer a try. Maybe if I read it when I'm not so busy, I'll like it better. I only gave it 4 stars because again, it had everything I loved in a story. I just thought it was a bit slow. I'm absolutely dying to read The Darkest Minds though, but slightly scared cause Passenger fell a bit short for me

message 17: by poiboy (new)

poiboy | 10 comments The Life of Pi.. I felt is was overhyped and had quite a muddled ending. Expected so much more.