Catholic Thought discussion

Vision of Fatima > Discussion #2: Chapters 4. 5. 6. 7

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3746 comments Mod
Chapter 4: Fatima
Fathers McGlynn and Gardiner make their first excursion to Fatima, first again stopping at the Bishop for more letters, and then a stop at the Dominican Monastery in Batlahla, and then to the shrine at the south rim of the Cova, which is the actual location of the apparitions. They settle in at a near-by hostel, all the while trying to understand the perplexing details of the Fatima apparitions, and the directives that were given by the Blessed Mother. Finally they reach their goal, the Chapel of the Apparitions.

Chapter 5: Lucy’s Sisters
At the chapel they see a reproduction of the famous Our Lady of Fatima statue carved by José Thedim. Back at the hostel, they have the opportunity to interview one of Lucy’s sisters, Teresa. Then in the afternoon, the two priests and the hostel owner, Mr. Petracchi go to Lucy’s home village of Ajustrel and pay a visit to the house Lucy was born, now owned by Lucy’s other sister Maria. From the two sisters, they get first hand testimony of their experiences during the apparitions.

Chapter 6: The Child of the Mountains
Fathers McGlynn and Gardiner next decide it’s time to go meet Lucy herself. She resides at a convent in Oporto (now called Porto), which is a several hour train ride north. After more humorous experiences on the journey, after getting permission from the rector, they arrive at the convent on a rainy day on the feast of St. Dorothy. After making themselves comfortable, the Mother Provincial brings in the little nun Irmã Dores, as she is known at the convent, the very Lucy of the apparitions.

Chapter 7: Irmã Dores and the Apparition
FMcGlynn finally gets to sit and talk to Lucy, who will now go by her convent name of Irmã Dores. He gives us a description of the woman and his impressions of her. He shows her his prototype statue, which to his surprise Irmã finds all wrong. They discuss her vision of the Blessed Mother.

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour | 167 comments I like Father McGlynn's literary approach to Fatima, using his trip to unwrap the story of Fatima. I like that he presents without comment the points of conflict in the various eyewitness accounts as well as the points of agreement. Untrained people are notoriously bad eyewitnesses and it would be very suspicious if there was complete agreement on all details of the event.

message 3: by Gerri (last edited Jun 05, 2017 05:41AM) (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 172 comments I'm also enjoying the literary approach very much, and was fascinated by Fr. McGlynn's interviews with Lucy's sisters and other eyewitnesses, and by how thorough he is in presenting his information.

In Chapter 4, "Fatima," I was stopped by the bishop's comment about the three devotions recommended by Our Lady. The one I always associate with Fatima is the Rosary, yet am reminded here of devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Our Lady of Sorrows. Father writes that on the day of the miracle of the sun, Oct. 13, 1917, Lucia - or Lucy as he writes - saw a series of apparitions: the Holy Family, Jesus as a man, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and Our Lady of Sorrows. For some reason, my personal memory is of only one apparition in Our Lady looking like she does in the most well-known Fatima statue.

In "Lucy's Sisters," both Teresa and Maria have such a dignity about them as they recount what they saw/heard/smelled. There are differences in their accounts, as seems to be the case with all eyewitnesses, yet there is a sameness. As I read, I felt the women had a sense of peace about them.

In "Child of the Mountains," the line about Lucia's eyes jumped out at me. When Fr. McGlynn first meets her, he writes that he was more conscious of her eyes than of her overall appearance. "Her eyes are very dark, very penetrating." The eyes of a mystic?

message 4: by Manny (last edited Jun 05, 2017 05:42AM) (new)

Fr. McGlynn is an outstanding writer. I'm amazed at how well the book is structured, going from step to step in perfect almost classical logic, and how well each chapter is structured, leading to a climatic moment. My heart jumped a beat when at the end of chapter six Lucy, with her dark eyes, walks into the room. Here was the woman who actually saw the Blessed Mother, the point of the whole journey, and she walks in the room. It was breath taking!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 183 comments This book has really awakened a thirst in me to find out more about Fatima. I am realizing how little I know of the apparitions. I have always known of Our Lady's instructions about the Rosary but I don't remember hearing about her appearances as Our Lady of Mount Carmel or as Our Lady of Sorrows. These are especially touching to me because my son entered the Carmelite Monastery on the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows!
I love the humanity of Fr. McGlynn. His excitement for meeting Lucia, only to hear her say "not the right position". How overwhelming it must have been for him to be in the physical presence of someone who had actually seen Our Lady and had heard her voice. The descriptions of the light that were given by Lucia were fascinating.
It was also wonderful to hear from Lucia's sisters. It is interesting to me how different their experiences of the apparitions were. I also liked hearing about their mother and how she came to believe by the scent of smell. God is amazing in how He touches each of us!!

message 6: by Manny (new)

Loretta wrote: "I love the end of chapter 7! Fr. McGlynn leaving the statue in the parlor "with some faint, fading hope that Irmã Dores might come in my absence and look again, and see the charm that I had tried". ."

LOL, that was funny and such a nice touch. Even priests have egos.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Lisa wrote: "This book has really awakened a thirst in me to find out more about Fatima. I am realizing how little I know of the apparitions. I have always known of Our Lady's instructions about the Rosary but ..."

Lisa, I've been trying to learn up on the Fatima story and messages. I realized I knew so little of them.

Also, I've been using a prayer card for a bookmark that I must have gotten from a charity (I collect them and use them for bookmarks) and it's our Lady of Fatima with the three children kneeling in front. But what's interesting is that the image is not the usual Our Lady of Fatima but one based on the Fr. McGlynn statue. I was looking at Google images and found an image close (though not exact) as the bookmark. This:
https://www.fisheaters.com/fatima.jpg

message 8: by Manny (new)

Loretta wrote: "Manny wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This book has really awakened a thirst in me to find out more about Fatima. I am realizing how little I know of the apparitions. I have always known of Our Lady's instruc..."
It wasn't a coincidence. I keep a whole bunch of them in a bag and when I went looking for one for this book, I was searching for a Mother Mary card, just to fit the subject of the book. To my surprise when I looked through them all, I found this one, so I selected it. Before this book I had no idea about this version of Our Lady of Fatima.

message 9: by Manny (last edited Jun 07, 2017 12:02PM) (new)

Loretta wrote: "Manny wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Manny wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This book has really awakened a thirst in me to find out more about Fatima. I am realizing how little I know of the apparitions. I have alwa..."

I guess it was. I did not realize the image on the card was the McGlynn/Sr. Lucy posture to our Lady. That came as a surprise after I read about it in the book.

message 10: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1355 comments Mod
Loretta wrote: " I also use prayer cards for bookmarkers."

Me too :) I like to use the laminated ones, they double as rulers when I want to underline.

Back to Fatima. I had forgotten there were several apparitions. No wonder the authorities were getting antsy with all the goings-on. They probably thought that once they give the children a stern talking to all of this would stop. And poor Lucy! She had to be removed from her family and raised in an orphanage for her own safety.

message 11: by Manny (new)

I've already said a few times. Totally enjoying it. Great suggestion Loretta.

message 12: by John (new)

John Seymour | 167 comments Loretta wrote: "Can I ask how everyone else is enjoying the book? 😊"

I am very much enjoying it.

message 13: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1355 comments Mod
I'm enjoying it. It is a bit of lighter read, though not without substance!