Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

Wonder

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Our book starting tomorrow. I am glad to be reading a bit of a lighter book. I believe the movie comes out later this year.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

This book is too cute. I about died reading about his birth story. I was curious how he doesn't say what he looks like, but then I saw the movie preview and I think they did a good adaptation. It seems like a feel good book. Why didn't we read this sooner??

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol I know, I like it so far. Very sweet : )

message 4: by Deborah (new)

I'm on part two with Via. I find the writing clever and you really get to know Auggie. Kids are so mean!!

message 5: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
I'm going to start this book in the next couple of days. Gotta get back on track!

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol I had a lot of time to read today so almost finished. About 90 pages left.

Lilith, how far did you get in The Red Queen?

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Cee Cee wrote: "I had a lot of time to read today so almost finished. About 90 pages left.

Lilith, how far did you get in The Red Queen?"

I have a bit over 150 pages left of Wonder. I am really enjoying it.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Is anybody interested in reading any of the other Wonder books? I am confused on the other books in this series and if it is a series. Any feedback would be appreciated.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Fun fact the movie is directed by same guy who wrote and directed Perks Of Being A Wallflower.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

I just finished the book. My favorite POV was Miranda. This book was amazing on so many levels. I can see why it has such a high rating. I'll save my opinions until everybody is done.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol 54 pages left. Might finish tonight. If not, tomorrow for sure.

message 12: by Lilith (new)

I got to page 164 of The Red Queen. I become over-ambitious and take out too many library books at once...The library keeps calling me back (automated message) saying I have overdue books! Needless to say, they won't let me renew it. I have to give it back. I'll be able to finish Wonder though, since it's a much quicker read and I have more time now.

I quickly skimmed through the other Wonder books...but I didn't feel very interested in them. If they're added to the schedule, it's fine...I can read other books in the meantime.

I really liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower! That movie would be on my list of favorites for sure! Ezra Miller...what a gifted actor! The fact that Wonder is directed by the same guy makes me want to see the movie even more!

message 13: by Lilith (last edited Jun 06, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

The whole incident with August's delivery was hilarious, with the farting nurse and doctor fainting and his mom's reaction to everything...was almost laughing out loud!

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Me too!!! I about died!!

message 15: by Lilith (new)

This is such a fantastic book!!! It's so well written!!!

message 16: by Lilith (new)

I like how August talks about how he can tell that people are staring at him...and how he knows that they think he can't tell that they're staring...so interesting.

message 17: by Lilith (new)

oh my gosh...how the kids are bickering back and forth and how Julian is asking August if his face is like that because he'd been in a fire...how kids have no filter! Poor August!

message 18: by Deborah (new)

I adore Auggie!!!

message 19: by Deborah (new)

The eraser!!!

message 20: by Lilith (new)

It looks like they picked out a really good cast for the movie. Couldn't have thought of a better choice than Jacob Tremblay to play August.

message 21: by Carol (last edited Jun 08, 2017 04:52AM) (new)

Carol I finished Wonder last night. I gave it 3 stars. I like the author's writing style a lot, but for me the plot was just okay. I would definitely consider other titles by this author, in or out of the Wonder series.

The movie sounds great; I, too, loved Perks. I had to look up Jacob Tremblay because I did not recognize the name - and I agree - great choice. Hopefully I'll make it to the theatres while it's there. I'm still trying to get to Everything, Everything...

Lilith, I totally get it about the library due dates. In fact I need to submit a request for Things that Fall from the Sky and I'm trying figure out when to do so so that it arrives on time for the June 18 start date, but not too early!

message 22: by Lilith (new)

It was so sad when August started suddenly crying while his mother was reading him bedtime stories...saying how ugly he was and everything...:(

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Daisy!!!

message 24: by Lilith (new)

On page 62, when August talks about how the kids stare at him and make fun of him, he says how it's not in a mean way and how they are just dumbs kids...I am trying to imagine a kid at that age and maturity level rationalizing peoples' behaviour in that way...and I iust have a hard time making sense of it. I would Imagine that most kids August's age would take it much more personally.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol It's something he's had to deal with his entire life. Maybe it's part of the message that his mother has instilled in him. I imagine when you are dealing with challenges such as his you mature more quickly than others in many ways...

message 26: by Deborah (new)

He was so mature for his age!!!

message 27: by Lilith (new)

I love the standing ovation at the end and how everything came full circle! What a nice ending!

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Such a wonderful book!!

message 29: by Lilith (new)

The movie is coming out here on November 17. Can't wait to see it!

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Here too!!! The previews look good!

message 31: by Lilith (new)

I'm going to see this movie on Monday! It got 8.5 with 64 reviews!!!

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Hopefully I will see it soon too!!

message 33: by Lilith (new)

I saw "Wonder" a few days ago. I was very impressed! It was one of the best movies I've seen made from a book. They really stuck to the book and the acting was very good. The only negative thing I would have to say is...Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson?? Was there chemistry there? I don't know...I think I would have picked another match.