Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's May Reading Mess 2/2

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Jun 03, 2017 06:34PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments 5)The Spirit Tree by Kathryn M. Hearst (paranormal romance) Source: Free from Amazon for nominating it on Kindle Scout which helped in getting it accepted for publication on Kindle Press Started: 5/18 Finished: 5/21

Comments: Unfortunately, this is the first time I regretted nominating a book on Kindle Scout. The MC is a figure from Cherokee legends. I thought that was inauthentic when I researched the legends, but it's otherwise well written if inauthenticity doesn't bother you. I had another inauthenticity problem with this book. I gave it a C-. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

6)Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon (paranormal mystery) 271 pages. Source: Library Started: 5/22 Finished: 5/25

Why Read: The F2F mystery group that I attend is reading it and will discuss it next Tuesday. The MC amateur detective is an African American musician in Ireland who can hear and see ghosts. It sounded really cool!

Comments: I liked the MC Gethsemane Brown and the ghost who asked her to clear his name. He was accused of murdering his wife. The solution to this mystery was a standard one and I didn't like the way it ended. So I gave it a B-

7)The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin by Stephanie Knipper (contemporary magical realist fiction ) 308 pages Source: Goodreads Giveaway Started: 5/26 Finished: 5/28

Comments: This deals with a ten year old autistic child who can heal with her touch and bring dead flowers back to life. The second part of her gift is particularly useful because she lives on her family's flower farm in Kentucky. Unfortunately, healing jeopardizes her own life when she's dealing with serious cases. Readers will say to themselves that this can't end well and it certainly looks like a tragedy waiting to happen. The ending is bittersweet. I gave it an A.

8)The Orchid Caper by Connie B. Dowell (YA crime fiction) Source: ARC from author Started: 5/29 Finished: 5/29

Why Read: I liked this author's suffragette mystery. So I accepted this ARC. It isn't a mystery. The MC is a teen thief who is being paid to steal a rare orchid from a flower show. (Yes, another book dealing with flowers. It's a good thing that I like flowers.)

Comments: The MC is clumsy and incompetent to start with. Fortunately for her, she improves. The best characters are her grandmother and her grandmother's friend. I thought the book was cute. It gets a solid B from me. Dan will probably disagree because crime does pay in this book.

9)Isra-Isle by Nava Semel (historical/alternate history) 244 pages Source: Library Started: 5/29 Finished: 5/31

Why Read: The Israeli writer deals with an alternate Jewish state on an island off the coast of New York.

Comments: It starts out with a 21st century missing person's case, but the best part of the book is the historical section taking place when the island was purchased from Native Americans in 1825. The author recreates the historical context very well, but she fails to develop her alternate history. I gave it a B-

So I used the same strategy as last month. I selected a short library book to finish out the month and increase the number of my reads, but this choice wasn't anywhere near as good. Oh well, you can't win them all. I did have two A rated reads. So it worked out better than expected despite the messy book journal.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14620 comments Shomeret: I am behind on getting to the books I have already lined up, but several of yours sound very tempting. I hope I can squeeze a few of them, in if I can find them.
Shomeret wrote: "So I used the same strategy as last month. I selected a short library book to finish out the month and increase the number of my reads, but this choice wasn't anywhere near as good. Oh well, you can't win them all. I did have two A rated reads. So it worked out better than expected despite the messy book journal. "