Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

10 books in 1 year challenge > Rosemarie's Silver Ten

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments My goal is to read books from my own collection whenever possible.

message 2: by Rosemarie (last edited Nov 11, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Silver 10:

The country refers to where the author was born.

1900- 1909: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux (France)
1910 - 1919: The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington (U.S.A.)
1920 - 1929: Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (U.K.)
1930 - 1939: Death at the President's Lodging by Michael Innes (England)
1940 - 1949: West with the Night by Beryl Markham (Kenya)
1950-1959: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams (U.S.A.)
1960 - 1969: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard(England)
1970 - 1979: Death and the King's Horseman: A Play by Wole Soyinka (Nigeria)
1980 - 1989: A Gathering of Old Men by Ernest J. Gaines (U.S.A.)
1990 - 1999: True North: A Memoir by Jill Ker Conway (Australia)

message 3: by Rosemarie (last edited Jul 09, 2017 02:45PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is a library book, but it such a great play that I decided to use it for this challenge anyway. It is by a southern American writer, set in Mississippi.

message 4: by Rosemarie (last edited Jul 23, 2017 08:52PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 2. Le Fantôme de l'Opéra is a suspenseful book about the mysterious phantom. The two directors of the Opera house provide a bit of comic relief, but the story is dark and sad towards the end.

message 5: by Rosemarie (last edited Aug 10, 2017 06:57PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 3. A Gathering of Old Men is a book that I learned about in another group at goodreads. I had no idea just how amazing the book would be. It is wonderful, powerful and moving. The book takes place in the 1970's in the Louisiana bayous. The old men in the title are a group of black old men who gather to help a friend and find their dignity.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 4. The Magnificent Ambersons was an enjoyable read, and nothing more.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have been adding books that I have read since July since we are starting a new challenge in January.

They are all books that I enjoyed reading.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 5. West with the Night is the story of the author's life in Kenya, including her career as a pilot. I enjoyed this book more than Out of Africa.

message 9: by Rosemarie (last edited Nov 06, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 6. Goodbye to All That is the autobiography of Robert Graves including his school days and his actions in World War One. It was an enjoyable and well-written book. The title refers to the war.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 7. Death at the President's Lodging is a classic British mystery.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 8. True North: A Memoir is a continuation of The Road from Coorain: A Woman's Exquisitely Clear-Sighted Memoir of Growing Up Australian. It deals with the author's successful academic career as well as her happy marriage with John Conway.

message 12: by Rosemarie (last edited Nov 06, 2017 04:33PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 9. I have just finished reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. I recommend reading Hamlet before reading this play, which I did, since the two plays are interwoven in this one. It was interesting, but I am not sure if I liked it or not.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments 10. Death and the King's Horseman: A Play is an intense and powerful play by the Nobel Prize winning author Wole Soyinka. I recommend it hightly and gave it five stars.