Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > 10.7 Marked Name (Anika's Task)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6164 comments 10.7 Marked Name (Anika's Task)

Read a book whose author's name, when written in English, has a unique character in it. Periods and commas will not be considered unique; dashes and apostrophes will. Examples: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Charlotte Brontë, Flannery O'Connor, Kyōichi Katayama.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments I just picked up The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien from an op shop yesterday for $2.25, and now I have a reason to read it! :)

I am sure I had worked out a task for Vernon God Little which i also picked up, but now I can't remember which one it was ...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12434 comments Amanda wrote: "I am sure I had worked out a task for Vernon God Little which i also picked up, but now I can't remember which one it was ... "

No Letter O.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12434 comments I have on my shelf, waiting patiently, The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. We'll see if it makes the cut. Also, of course, there is my perennial favorite Honoré de Balzac, so he might get slipped in here.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1629 comments I'm planning Camilla Läckberg and Camille Pagán.

message 6: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3003 comments Does the French c-cedilla count, as in François Rabelais?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12434 comments Rosemary wrote: "Does the French c-cedilla count, as in François Rabelais?"

yes!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I am sure I had worked out a task for Vernon God Little which i also picked up, but now I can't remember which one it was ... "

No Letter O."

Should work for Young Men too, I think. I've moved it to the bedroom, which is closed now as it is 4.55 and husband is sleeping, but i am sure the main character is 15.

message 9: by Cat (last edited Aug 02, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 303 comments Just checking if I have to go by the GR records or not.
Specifically, The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh by Renee Ahdieh
on the cover, you can see the accented e, and on her own website (http://www.reneeahdieh.com/) she uses the accent - in the text, I mean, but it's not in the GR link.

Can I use her for this one?

message 10: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 02, 2017 08:46AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12434 comments Catherine wrote: "Just checking if I have to go by the GR records or not.
Specifically, The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh by Renee Ahdieh
on the cover, you can see the accented e, and on he..."

We'll go with the GR profile without the accents, especially as a GR author, and is the one who sets up her profile, so she could have chosen to use the accents.

Works for historical, though - so you won't need to post over there to reserve it - and 10.2. and 10.5!

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 303 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "We'll go with the GR profile without the accents, especially as a GR author, and is the one who sets up her profile, so she could have chosen to use the accents.."

I suspected as much. Silly person, setting up her profile all wrong for me!

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 02, 2017 09:00AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12434 comments Catherine wrote: "I suspected as much. Silly person, setting up her profile all wrong for me! ."

I should correct my previous post as to the combos. This is a YA at Brooklyn Public Library and has a Lexile of 690, so you can claim for the task but no styles.

message 13: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 303 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I suspected as much. Silly person, setting up her profile all wrong for me! ."

I should correct my previous post as to the combos. This is a YA at Brooklyn Public Library and has..."

Noted, thanks