Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > 10.8 The Ancients (Karen Michele's Task)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments 10.8 The Ancients (Karen Michele's Task)

Read a book set or written in ancient times (500 AD or before).

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1601 comments Wow! I was stymied when considering this task. However, I have found a wonderful website - http://www.historicalnovels.info/Anci.... I hope this is useful.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12337 comments Here is a series some of you might like:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4453...

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Thanks for the list, Bea, I was pretty stymied myself. I was thinking of switching The Red Tent but now I am thinking of maybe Casandra, which is not the book I saw on the list, but one I found is sitting on the shelf at my library.

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments I also appreciate you posting such an excellent list, Bea. I've always been interested in ancient cultures.

message 6: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 01, 2017 06:50AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments Would modern non-fiction books about ancient Greek philosophy count for this task?

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would modern non-fiction books about ancient Greek philosophy count for this task?"

I'm sorry, Rosemary. That's not really what I had in mind, but if you can find a book actually by one of the philosophers you are interested in, then that would work.

message 8: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments OK, thanks! Maybe I will save them for next season.

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4349 comments Will this work?
Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari
Although it was pub in 1951, i believe it is a modern translation into English of the original
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmiki

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12337 comments Rebekah wrote: "Will this work?
Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari
Although it was pub in 1951, i believe it is a modern translation into English of the original
https://en.m.wikipedia.or..."

Yes, I don't have time just now to fix all of the editions that should be moved to the correct profile. Please remind me when you post that the pub date should be -100 and the author Valkimi.

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4349 comments Ok thanks

message 12: by Louise Bro (last edited Aug 11, 2017 01:38PM) (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Would this collection of plays work: Five Great Greek Tragedies? (The plays are by Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, but the book is listed twice with only one of the playwrights as authors each time).

message 13: by Karen Michele (last edited Aug 11, 2017 02:16PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments Louise Bro wrote: "Would this collection of plays work: Five Great Greek Tragedies? (The plays are by Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, but the book is listed twice with only one of the playwrights as..."

That looks fine to me. I read an Aeschylus play for the task and liked it a lot!

message 14: by Louise Bro (last edited Aug 11, 2017 03:01PM) (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I think, I have read one or two of the plays before for school, but it would be good to have them refreshed and read the other ones as well.
I quite like mythologies and the Greek is the most well-known one for me, so it's bound to be enjoyable. And of course there'll be quite a few Oldies points!

Another one I've considered is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, which I've been meaning to read for a while. Have you read that?

message 15: by Coralie (last edited Aug 11, 2017 09:33PM) (new)

Coralie | 2415 comments I am assuming that Esther will work as it is an Old Testament story.

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments Coralie wrote: "I am assuming that Esther will work as it is an Old Testament story."

Yes, it does.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2415 comments Louise Bro wrote: "I think, I have read one or two of the plays before for school, but it would be good to have them refreshed and read the other ones as well.
I quite like mythologies and the Greek is the most well..."

I read Song of Achilles..... and loved it despite this being one of my least favorite genres. I highly recommend it.

message 18: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Thanks, Ed! I'll have to fit it in. If not in this challenge, there is always the next one...

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments I really liked that one, too!