Reading with Style discussion

39 views
RwS Summer 2017 > 10.9 The Arts (Ed's Task)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 10.9 The Arts (Ed's Task)

Read a Non-Fiction book by or about a filmmaker, actor, dancer, painter, sculptor, musician or photographer or about the arts of filmmaking, acting, dancing, painting, sculpting, music or photography.


message 2: by Beth (last edited Jun 04, 2017 03:48AM) (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments Can I use Color and Fiber for this task? It can be said it is a book for artists who paint with thread. Or it could be said this is not one of the arts explicitly named in the task. It is not at all a photo book, by the way, its more of a treatise on how color manifests differently in fibers.


message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1563 comments So an autobiography of a dancer would work (Dancing on My Grave).


message 5: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 04, 2017 11:31AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2860 comments Would Dave Gorman count as an actor? He is mostly a standup comedian but has done a little bit of acting in comedies, eg the appearance in Absolutely Fabulous mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Go...


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Beth wrote: "Can I use Color and Fiber for this task? It can be said it is a book for artists who paint with thread. Or it could be said this is not one of the arts explicitly named in the task. ..."

We're going to stay with the specific arts that Ed names in his task, so no to this one.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Bea wrote: "So an autobiography of a dancer would work (Dancing on My Grave)."

Yes, this works.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would Dave Gorman count as an actor? He is mostly a standup comedian but has done a little bit of acting in comedies, eg the appearance in Absolutely Fabulous mentioned here: https:..."

This is very borderline, but we'll allow it.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Beth wrote: "Ok, how about The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer?"

Yes, indeed, nonfiction about a painter and a painting.


message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I think mine in post #3 may have been missed :)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Sam wrote: "I think mine in post #3 may have been missed :)"

Yes it was, and not intentionally. It seems to be about music, so it's a good'un.


message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Perfect, thanks! :)


message 16: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2860 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "Would Dave Gorman count as an actor? He is mostly a standup comedian but has done a little bit of acting in comedies, eg the appearance in Absolutely Fabulous menti..."

This is very borderline, but we'll allow it.


Thank you!


message 17: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4246 comments I could recommend Just Kids by Patti Smith


message 18: by Deedee (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:54PM) (new)

Deedee | 1870 comments Will this book work for this task: Grown-Up Anger: The Connected Mysteries of Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, and the Calumet Massacre of 1913? My library filed it under 782.421.

782.42 Songs, (Lyrics), (Karaoke), (Popular songs), Children's songs, Folk songs, (Folksongs), National songs, (National anthems), Lullabies, (Cradle songs), War songs, (Battle songs), (Soldiers' songs)

Thanks!


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Deedee wrote: "Will this book work for this task: Grown-Up Anger: The Connected Mysteries of Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, and the Calumet Massacre of 1913? Thanks!"

Yes, (in a strange way) that works!


message 20: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1870 comments Will Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You (2015) by Kunal Nayyar work for this task? It's a memoir/autobiography by a man who is an actor on the TV show The Big Bang Theory.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Deedee wrote: "Will Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You (2015) by Kunal Nayyar work for this task? It's a memoir/autobiography by a man who is an acto..."

Yes, non-fiction by an actor works!


message 22: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1870 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Deedee wrote: "Will Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You (2015) by Kunal Nayyar work for this task? It's a memoir/autobiography by a man..."

Yeah! Now I have 2 books to fit the task. Still not sure which one I'll read.......


message 23: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Would you accept John Hodgman as an actor?


message 24: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Kazen wrote: "Would you accept John Hodgman as an actor?"

Bump. :)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments I'm sorry, Kazen, I saw that, had to think about it and then ...

I don't think he's done enough acting to qualify, nor does it look as if the subject material of his books fit the task..


message 26: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Thanks for the reply, and no worries! It was quite borderline.


back to top