Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > may 2017 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Much better quality this month. Here are my May reads:

Top Reads

Lay Down My Sword And Shield (Hackberry Holland, #1) by James Lee Burke Lay Down My Sword And Shield
James Lee Burke
First published in 1971, this had the author's usual descriptive and vivid writing along with realistic characterizations. I really enjoyed the audio version which was ably narrated by Will Patton.

Pike by Benjamin Whitmer Pike
Benjamin Whitmer
Though not quite as good as Cry Father this was still an excellent though dark read. I was impressed by the author's spare style, both the small town Kentucky and Cincinnati settings, and the intriguing characters.

Good Reads

Temporary Perfections by Gianrico Carofiglio Temporary Perfections
Gianrico Carofiglio
This is one of my favorite series and I love the lead character but the plot in this entry was pretty nonexistent. The narration of the audio by Sean Barrett was excellent and I did enjoy this outing but this would not be a good starting place if you have not read any of the previous books in the series.

Two Time by Chris Knopf Two Time
Chris Knopf
A good follow up to the strong debut The Last Refuge. The plot seemed a bit over complicated but I did like how Sam used his engineering skills to solve problems and enjoyed the Southhampton setting.

Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry Under the Harrow
Flynn Berry
Good psychological suspense though, since this won the Edgar for Best First Novel, I had higher expectations. Well written though a bit spare, I listened the audio version which was read by Fiona Hardingham whose performance grew on me.

Field of Prey by John Sandford Field of Prey
John Sandford
Not my favorite book in the series since I did not particularly care for the plot and the graphic nature of the crimes. However, the last quarter of the book was very intense and absorbing. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Richard Ferrone.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Good month as usual, Sandi. I agree on Under the Harrow.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Nice variety, Sandi.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Sandi: Nice month and some favorite narrators. I am pretty sure the first book I listened to that was narrated by Will Patton was a James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux) in the late 1980's; love the combination!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I was thinking the same thing, Ann. I will always associate Will Patton with the Dave Robicheaux series.