Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's May Reading Mess 1/2

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:51PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments I really hate having to read two books at the same time and having to put a book aside. Both of these situations make it more difficult to keep my handwritten book journal. I end up having to guesstimate the number of pages of notes I'll need and continue the notes for one book after I think the notes for the other will be finished. I'm not always right in my guesstimates. So both books can end up being continued and sometimes multiple times. Arrgh! So that's why I have a May mess.

1)Scars of Independence: America's Violent Birth by Holger Hook (history) Source: Net Galley Started: 5/1 Finished: 5/26

Why Read: This is a book about violence in the American Revolution and the early days of the republic. This is an issue I knew something about, but I thought I'd learn things I didn't know.

Comments: I was right. I learned a great deal. As you can see from the start and finish dates, I had to read this at the same time as another book with a review deadline. Then I had to put it aside for other deadlines. I gave this book an A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

2)In the Fullness of time: One Woman's Story of Growth and Empowerment by Katherine P. Stillerman (historical fiction) Source: Publicist Started: 5/7 Finished: 5/13

Why Read: This deals with an American suffragette starting in 1913. This starts off in Washington D.C. and has a heavily political perspective which I wanted to know about.

Comments: The author wanted to publish this book because a woman was running for President. There was a great deal about practical politics on the state and national levels which I liked. The sister in law of the MC was really wonderful. But I had to read it on my laptop because the PDF wasn't legible on my Kindle. This means that I had to read it in short sessions to avoid getting a headache from the glare of the laptop screen. I wouldn't have committed to review this if I had known, but I gave this a B+. See my review at http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2017/...

3)The Gravediggers of Champagne County: A Novel by Elizabeth Evans Kirk (YA magical realist contemporary fiction) Source: Author via Bookplex Started: 5/11 Finished: 5/14

Why Read: I'm fascinated by cemeteries and I think they're beautiful. I also thought this book would (ironically) be less dark than violence in the American Revolution.

Comments: This takes place in a small town in North Carolina. I liked Violet, the teen MC who decided to hang out at the cemetery. At the outset she seemed quirky and entertaining. Yet it turned out she was escaping some pretty dark experiences. Readers can decide to believe whether or not she was really seeing ghosts, but there were other paranormal events. I wanted to know about Violet's life after the book was over. I was wrong about my guesstimate with this one and had to continue my notes. There will probably be a sequel. I gave it a B+. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

4)Say Goodbye for Now by Catherine Ryan Hyde (historical fiction) 358 pages Source: Library Started: 5/13 Finished: 5/18

Comments: This starts in Texas 1959 with some very unconventional characters. It ends in the late 1960's. Racism is an ongoing issue. The Supreme Court case Loving v. Virginia played a role in the plot. Rating B+.

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments The Gravediggers of Champagne County sounds interesting. I also am fascinated by cemeteries and find them beautiful, peaceful places.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments Melodie wrote: "The Gravediggers of Champagne County sounds interesting. I also am fascinated by cemeteries and find them beautiful, peaceful places."

I hope you like this book if you decide to read it. It's a first novel and has flaws which I mentioned in my blog review.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments Shomeret wrote: "Melodie wrote: "The Gravediggers of Champagne County sounds interesting. I also am fascinated by cemeteries and find them beautiful, peaceful places."

I hope you like this book if you decide to re..."

I picked it up since it was only $.99.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Shomeret: The Gravediggers of Champagne County: A Novel is a Kindle Unlimited book so I added it to my queue. Some of those books will need to make it on my determination list. :)

Shomeret wrote: "I hope you like this book if you decide to read it."
Melodie wrote: "The Gravediggers of Champagne County sounds interesting. I also am fascinated by cemeteries and find them beautiful, peaceful places."

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Shomeret: I feel for your May Mess with your notes overlapping. My work journal is a hard bound book and I run into both the months with extra space and other months where I am scrambling outside my system to keep my notes. Messy like that isn't fun.
Shomeret wrote: "I really hate having to read two books at the same time and having to put a book aside. Both of these situations make it more difficult to keep my handwritten book journal. I end up having to guesstimate the number of pages of notes I'll need and continue the notes for one book after I think the notes for the other will be finished..."