Play Book Tag discussion

Invisible Man
This topic is about Invisible Man
June 2017: Coming of Age > Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison 5/5

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole D. | 1478 comments (started this last month, but it's tagged Coming of Age)

First I have to say that this is one of the top audios I've done. Up there with Freedom, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and The Nix. The narrator was fantastic. It's possibly the best audio I've done, actually. I'm going to miss his voice (and his laugh.)

The story is early 1950's, early civil rights era - black people are trying to find their way in a society that still doesn't really have a place for them. The unnamed narrator is a gifted orator, this gets him into school and also into trouble. There are so many themes in this book, and I couldn't begin to understand them all and expanding on them too much leads to spoilers.

It's brilliant, it was certainly of its time, it's well-written. Sometimes funny, sometimes long-winded, but really interesting.

Well worth the time investment, and absolutely worth the audio if you are an audio person.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I'm adding it to my audio list. Thanks!

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Boo! It's not available on Audible Australia!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Yes, I've been recommending this audio to everyone. I'm so happy you loved it too. Hands down one of my favorite audios

Nicole D. | 1478 comments Yep, thanks Jen. Susie, I got it from the library

Sushicat | 804 comments I did this in audio as well. Absolutely brilliant.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I have to admit that every time I hear the title "The Invisible Man" I think of the H G Wells novel.

But this one IS on my tbr. I'll have to try the audio.