SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Insert coin to begin

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Orion (new)

Orion Burke | 2 comments In a somewhat far future Wade the main character lives in a resource depleted world in which there is a lot of suffering. To quell this suffering humanity ignores its problems and invents the Oasis, a virtual reality version of the internet. In this VR you can do lots of things, use ebay, go on quests, go to school, you can play video games, do all the things you would normally do in real life but in VR. Don't get the wrong idea, it's not the matrix. People aren't forced to go on, it's just what people do. The book starts off with the inventor of the Oasis dead and sets out a challenge to the rest of the Oasis users to solve a quest to own the actual Oasis servers themselves. This is a huge prize because it would be like owning the entire internet. Wade is one of the characters that decide to embark on this quest with him picking up a few companions along the way. Including Art3mis (Samantha), Aech (Helen Hariss), Daito, and Shoto. Their quest is filled with riddles and references to geek and popular culture. Many things happen along the way, such as corporate enslavement, love interests, and intense competition. So, are you ready, Player One?

I certainly liked the book for its cultural references I can understand. Right now I do wish there was something like the Oasis out there. It's an interesting premise for the book, but the way VR is looking right now it doesn't seem too likely that we'll get to that point. This book was a fun read and somewhat relatable to my stance. Its reoccurring theme of escapism is ever present. Whenever the characters step out of the Oasis something bad usually happens, but if something bad doesn't happen then the outside world seems shady and dangerous. It's sort of an extreme parable for today's use of the internet. It's a good read for anyone that knows 80's references, knows the internet well, and MMO games as well.

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Farmer | 14 comments This book sounds like a good and complex read. Was it hard to understand? Did you find it a fast read?

message 3: by Logan (new)

Logan Sitkin | 8 comments You mention that this book went in-depth culturally, but what exactly do you mean? Did it explore cultural problems that we can relate to today, like the problem's we're experiencing as the result of the Trump campaign/presidency?

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh McBain | 10 comments Sounds like the one Spy Kids movie but more you know what i'm talking about. is there more than one book the the series? sounds like a fun read.

message 5: by Damian (new)

Damian | 9 comments I loved this book! I never thought a story about someone playing video games would be this interesting, but this is definitely one of my favorite books.

message 6: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Kley | 7 comments It sounds complex, but intriguing. Is it kind of like a puzzle you have to solve?