Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Writing Competitions > June 2017 Writing Competition

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lorien, In Between (last edited Jun 03, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

lorien | 2558 comments Mod
Start Date: June 3, 2017
Deadline: June 30, 2017
Word Limit: 1000 - 7000

In your entries, include a section pertaining to either of this pictures. You can even combine the scenes if you wish!

Please note that any comments that are NOT entries, will be deleted.

message 2: by Jasey (last edited Jun 30, 2017 04:36PM) (new)

Jasey | 1 comments A Feeling of Forgetfulness

It's a bit thrown together and there's cliffhanger, so please forgive me. :)

Laya strolled -or skipped rather- down the perfectly cobbled ground of Rainy Street, the foremost place to commune with other townspeople in the small, idyllic little town of Wonder, and sniffing the fresh air lightly tinged with Daffodils, which were, of course, her favorite flowers.
She smiled continuously and greeted anyone who would smile back, which was, of course, everyone she chanced to meet, for wasn't this a perfect town with perfect people? She vaguely felt that this wasn't quite right, that something was off, but she dismissed the feeling quite easily. After all, she was happy, so how could anything be wrong? No crime had ever disfigured the town's streets, and the habitants of this paradise were quite as amiable as they could possibly be... So why was she thinking this way?
She stopped her movement abruptly, and thought, a frown puckering her small, 12 year-old face, which was not used to puckering for long, and so didn't hesitate to let up when she saw one of her playmates.
"Alex! Alexandra!"
Alex seemed to hear her this second time around and paused what she was doing immediately, which didn't surprise Laya much as she always seemed to be doing the same thing whenever they met. It struck her as rather odd, now, that Alex was always playing with the same jump-rope, at the same time, everyday since she had made her aquaintance some... Years ago? Days? Months? She couldn't remember. But Alex was finally near and she didn't like to worry about such things.
She couldn't help the question that popped from her lips though.
"Alex, how long have we known each other?" she inquired, forgoing any sort of polite "Hello" that should perhaps have occured beforehand. Alex looked askance at her, a brief flash of puzzlement crossing her face.
"Why," she wheezed, "I-I'm not sure, now that you mention it."
She was bent over, out of breath from the run from across the 50 foot-wide street, but Alex was never a fan of exertion. Neither was Laya, actually. Laya continued her questioning.
"Well, when did we meet?"
Alex was feeling a tad annoyed at this point, but she tried to answer as truthfully as she could.
"I think it was when we were five or six."
She stood up straight and thought.
"Actually," Alex added, "Come to think of it, can you remember actually meeting anyone in town?"
Laya realized with a jolt that she had not in fact, properly met anyone in the town, despite the fact that she knew everyone's names, who was getting married, and who was expecting.
"That is... odd".
Laya felt strangely fuzzy, as though her head was clouded.
It wasn't a new feeling, she was positive, but it was just that she had never noticed before.
No sooner had she begun to suspect than she woke up.
She lay in a field of what appeared to be wildflowers.
She assumed that she had been dreaming, because her head was clearer than she could remember it having ever been.
Amoung the peacefully swaying flowers, she could see people.
Men, women, children of all colors and sizes laid, asleep from what she could tell. She was alone in her consciousness, which she could already feel slipping, slipping away.
It was peaceful. So very, very... peaceful.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 82 comments A Quiet Place

Contemporary/Romance set in Sweden, 1,399 words

Noise. Noise. Noise. That was all Elsa could ever hear, day in and day out. Not just hear, but taste in her daily meals. Even the most flavourful of dishes would turn bland and spoil as Elsa focused more on the sounds of her coastal town. Smell, as even the most delightful of smells from her favorite bakery or hot dog cart would take a backseat to the loud noises of people preparing said dishes. On her way to school, she tried to block out the sounds by listening to music on her iPod, but would ultimately fail and shut off her music, annoyed by how persistent all the sounds were.

Elsa didn't even understand how a seaside town could be so loud, every single day. She lived in some tiny town on the very edge of the coast of Sweden. The town barely featured on any maps, and really only existed to fish and sell said fish to the rest of Sweden, and maybe even Finland and Norway, if they were lucky.

Over at the docks was obviously the busiest, it was where the fishermen did their work. There was the constant stink of fish and oil there, but Elsa didn't care about the smell. What annoyed her was the constant waves of noise, washing over her. There was the incessant chattering of the fishermen, and some of the people who come to barter with them. Complaints and praises were yelled at the exact same volume, and there was also the constant cries of seagulls hoping to get some kind of taste of the chowder the fishermen used for bait. There were the low drones of fog horns in the distance, as well as the banging of barrels and boxes on the wooden slabs of the dock.

Of course, the docks were the centerpiece of the town, which the claustrophobic houses built around it, so Elsa had to pass the docks to get anywhere else.

The streets were just as bad. Constant chattering, crying, screaming, laughing, bike horns, car horns, barking dogs, and the occasional food cart being pushed against the sidewalk, occasionally colliding with a sign with a loud bang.

Elsa was absolutely sick of it. She needed a break...some kind of break, any kind of break.

Even today, despite it being midday on a Monday no less, the sound absolutely refused to cease. It was enough to make Elsa feel trapped, to make her head spin. Even her vest and shorts felt way too tight on her, limiting her breathing. But it was all the sound's fault. She decided to take a break at her favorite cafe, which made coffee shipped straight from the coffeemaster of the Nordic nations; Norway.

She sat down outside in the small fenced-in yard; a quaint qhite picket fence of all things. A few bushes and vines grew around her, slightly shielding her from the outside world's eyes. Her light blonde hair was pulled into a messy bun, some strands hanging in her dark blue eyes. She sat all alone, in one corner of the cafe, slowly stirring the whipped cream into her coffee, ruining the perfect heart shape it was melted into in the coffee. She then sighed, leaning back in her seat, unable to focus on her coffee with all that noise.

"Surprise! Guess who's here!" One voice called out to her amid all else; she would know that voice anywhere. Her vision went dark, but inside of freaking out, she simply smiled.

"Jake," Elsa guessed correctly, making her boyfriend pout.

"Awww man! You're too good at this game!" He complained in his adorable American accent. He spoke Swedish just fine, but he had an accent he just couldn't kick. But Elsa found it charming, like how his dark tan skin, brown eyes, and curly brown hair contrasted against her own pale skin and light features. He jokingly called her 'cream', and she called him 'cookies.'

"Two great things that taste even better together," He once said.

"What's wrong?" He asked in a worried tone, noticing her idlely stirring her coffee. He sat down across from her.

"Nothing," Elsa answered instantly, wincing as a car screeched its tires somewhere nearby. She picked her cup up and started sipping it, then put it down.

"You're furrowing your brow again, Cream. You only do that when you're upset," Jake said, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Hot dogs! Get your hot dogs here! Fresh and with the new addition of onions!" A food cart worker yelled out happily, passing by Elsa's sanctuary.

"You hate the noise," Jake finally pieced together, also leaning back in his chair. Elsa nodded slowly.

"It makes my ears ring. I hate it," She said softly, pushing her drink away. "This is my favorite type of coffee, and I can't even focus on drinking it. The sound is just too much,"

Somewhere on the docks, a bell clanged out, signaling the arrival of another fishing boat. Elsa put her head down, and Jake gently tapped it.

"You need to go somewhere quiet. Somewhere you can think," He helped her off her chair and grabbed the mug, then tugged her along through the town.

"Where? Where are you taking me?" Elsa loudly demanded, straining her voice to be heard over the sounds of the town.

"You'll see!" Jake answered back with one of his usual cocky smiles on his face, the one that turned Elsa's knees weak.

She sighed and trusted him, letting him pull her through the bustling city. He accidentally knocked down a bicycler, apologizing as they ran past. A car honked at them to get out of the road, and dogs barked at them as they hurried away. Elsa closed her eyes and simply put her feet on autopilot, trusting Jake knew where he was taking her.

After a few minutes, all sound seemed to stop, and even the air felt lighter. "Alright Cream, open your eyes," Jake smiled lightly, letting go of Elsa's arm.

Nervously, Elsa slowly opened her eyes, somehow convinced they got hit by a car and she was now dead. How else would the sound just miraculously stop?

However, the truth was just as strange, yet welcome to her. "Oh, Cookies..." She gasped, covering her mouth. She found herself standing in the midst of a glorious field, filled with pastel flowers of almost every breed imaginable. The grass was green and lush, and seemingly the only noises that existed here were the soft calls of birds, and the distant drone of the city. "This place is amazing," She sighed a breath of relief and sat down right in the middle, not caring about the grass stains on her white tights for once.

Jake smiled even more at her reaction. "You recognize this place?" He walked over to her, still holding her mug.

"It's where we first met," Elsa laid down, and Jake nodded.

"You came here to escape the noise exactly one year ago, lying down just like that. I was here because I could barely speak Swedish and everyone talked too fast for me. I needed a break," He started.

"I had never seen anyone in this park before, and assumed you were a foreigner," Elsa continued.

"You called me over and initiated a broken conversation with me, telling me why you were here,"

"We hit it off really well....and before I knew it, we were dating," Elsa smiled as she finished the story.

"You make a great Swedish tutor," Jake teased, sitting next to her and handing her her mug, which she quickly drained.

"You make a great...sanity checker," She tightly hugged him.

"Are you ready to head back?" He hugged her back, but she shook her head.

"No...if you don't mind, I'd like to stay here just a little while longer,"

"Whatever you like, Cream," He softly kissed her cheek, making Elsa blush and put her hand there.

"I'm so glad a place like this exists," She finally said after some time, lying back down next to him. "You have no idea how many times it's saved me from going totally crazy,"

"Well, we all have our quiet places. Yours just literally happens to be a...quiet place," He laid down next to her, and the two held hands and stayed there for almost an hour, not moving or saying anything...just soaking up the quiet for once.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 15, 2017 04:16PM) (new)

The City of Lanterns: Part One
1137 words

I am standing in a meadow, and I only know two things.
My first name is Talvi.
And I have to reach the City of Lanterns.
What does this mean? I don't know, I realize, looking down. I notice that I'm wearing a spring-green dress that blends in with the grass around me; it ends just below my knees. Pink ballet flats protect my feet. My only adornment is a blue stone on a simple grey cord around my neck.
Turning in a slow circle, I see that to the south, there's a mountain range. To the east and west, nothing but poppies and lavender stretching on for miles. But there’s a cobblestone path, barely visible through the vegetation, leading north.
It may not lead to the city, but then again, it’s my best chance, maybe my only chance. So I start down the path.
It's eerily quiet. No birds chirp, and the air is still, without a hint of breeze to rustle the flowers. The sun scorches the meadow with its bitter heat. I trudge on, longing for a little rain, or at least a change in scenery. The flowers are pleasant to look at, but after half an hour, I'm ready to see something else.
Soon, my mind wanders to much bigger problems: Why can't I remember anything? Where is the City of Lanterns, and what's waiting for me there?
My heart pounds, partly from fear of the misty unknown that's both behind and in front of me, partly from exhaustion and overheating. Sweat trickles down my neck and my palms. I brush my damp blonde hair away from my face with one hand.
“Keep going,” I whisper to myself. I have what I instinctively know is a Finnish accent. With a twinge of sadness, I realize that until this moment, I didn't even know what my own voice sounded like.
About ten more minutes pass. No change in the world around me, no sign of any civilization, but I need to rest.
Too exhausted, terrified, and weak to stand any longer, I sit down right on the path, drawing my knees to my chest. The blue stone on my necklace seems to glow a brighter blue than before. It has to be a trick of my delirious mind.
Maybe this whole thing is a fever-induced dream. Maybe...maybe I'll wake up in a hospital with my memories intact, seriously ill but on the road to recovery.
I close my eyes and wait for a voice from beyond to pull me back to reality.
Quickly opening my eyes, I realize my theory was wrong. This is reality--no matter how strange and uncertain it may be.
I grip the blue stone; it's blessedly cold to the touch. When I let go, I notice something strange--even stranger than everything else that's happened. My hand seems to be coated with frost. I spring to my feet with a faint cry of horror.
It's spreading! The ground at my feet is turning to ice. As I began to run, snowflakes swirl in tempestuous white gusts through the air, which has quickly become at least twenty degrees cooler. I would be happy that it's not so miserably hot, except that I caused this, and I don't know how.
Miles go by, my legs burn and snowdrifts form to the sides of the path, but I mustn't slow down. A town looms in front of me. Could it be the City of Lanterns? Was my journey that easy?
I stumble toward the gates, but I can barely stand, weak from running. “Please,” I gasp, looking at the guard. “I need help.”
He's about thirty, with dark almond-shaped eyes, dark hair, and olive skin. For a moment his face is impassive, though naturally kind. Then his expression softens. “You look like I might have, when I came here long ago. Desperate, afraid, helpless. I don't mean to offend you,” he adds. “I suppose the inn has room for--”
I don't hear the rest. My knees finally give out, along with my frenzied mind, and I collapse into darkness.
When I wake, I'm lying on a worn blue couch. Raising my head as much as I can, I see that the room I've ended up in is small, but well-furnished, with walls of a reddish wood--cherry? Voices sound from behind a closed doorway.
“We cannot keep her, Ambrocio,” a woman’s smooth voice says. I can tell just from listening to her that she's used to getting her way.
“And why not?” I recognize this person as the guard.
“We know nothing about her. She could be a thief, a murderer--”
“Don't jump to conclusions.” His words are authoritative, but his tone is affectionate. “We’ve been over this, my daisy.”
“I am not your ‘daisy’!” she snaps. “I am Rhiannon Kelly-Reyes, mayor of this town. I expect you to treat me as such, even if I am your wife.”
Ambrocio’s voice is colder when he replies. “Very well. Rhiannon you shall be. But no matter what I call you, we are not going to turn the girl out into the world. What kind of example would that set for our children? Speaking of the children--Solas! Gabi! Come here.”
I hear the sound of two pairs of pattering feet entering the other room. Ambrocio continues. “We have an invalid in the other room. Go and check on her, please.”
“Yes, Father,” two piping voices reply. The door opens, and the children walk over to me. “She's awake!” the boy, who looks to be about eleven years old, exclaims quietly. It’s dark in the room, but there’s a golden aura surrounding him, casting a glow on the walls and ceiling. Seeing my confused state, he giggles nervously. “Bet you've never seen anything like this before. Don't worry--it's just my power. My name means ‘light’, you know. Call me Solas, and that's Gabi.”
From what I can tell, Gabi appears to be slightly older than her brother. She hangs back and stays in the shadows, though, so I can't see her very clearly. “Don't pester our new guest,” she says.
“Sorry,” Solas says. “Anyway, what brings you here?”
I hesitate, absentmindedly touching the blue stone, which is still cold, but nothing like it was. “Honestly? I don't remember,” I finally admit. “I was told--sort of--to get to the City of Lanterns. And I'm finally here, I guess. The question is, what am I supposed to do now?”
Gabi inhales sharply through her teeth, as though she's both annoyed and surprised. Solas looks uncomfortable. Averting his eyes, which I notice are a golden color with vertical pupils, he tries to explain. “Um--well...”
“What?” I ask, trying to sit up.
“Hey, don't exert yourself. The thing is...this isn't the City of Lanterns. That's another day's journey from here.”
To be continued...

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Weber (lissa_weber) | 136 comments I may write more later, but this seemed like a good place to end it for now.

Back Home
A stand alone excerpt
1665 words

Chrys lay in the field, staring up at the sky with little interest in the beauty around her. Her blue butterfly wings, nothing more than decoration now, were spread wide around her human form. No more blue hair and yellow eyes, no more two inches high, no more childhood memories that weren’t her own. No more shallow feelings, no more magic flowing freely, no more horrid blood thirst on full moons. The only parts of her that were still fae were her blood and her memories after her father had spirited her away.

She closed her eyes as the cool mountain wind blew through the flowers. Her father… he had spirited her away from the only family she’d ever know, from a fiance she thought she would never leave.

And now that fiance was married. Not to just anyone. No, he was married to the Queen of Armoni, the strongest Mage in the entirety of Emeda, and leader of the Federation of Kingdoms. The beautiful maiden the bards sang about and everyone adored. Chrys couldn’t have competed with that, but she wished she’d had the opportunity to try. Now it was too late.

All she could do now was lay in the field, dreaming of what could have been. What almost was.

Chrys held up the silver sapphire ring. She should have returned it to Derrick, but she hadn’t told him she’d kept it. Even though she hadn’t remembered where it had come from, she knew of its importance, and it was one of the clues that had brought her back.

Back here, to Felicite. To this very spot, where he had proposed to her.

No, not to her. To Arinae. To someone who spent her entire life as a human, who didn’t have an identity crisis. She didn’t even know who she was anymore.

What name should she use? The one she’d been using the majority of her life? The one her mother gave her? The beautiful Arinae Lillian Rothschild? It seemed the most logical, and she didn’t dislike the sound of it, but every time someone called her Arinae, she felt pressured into completely forgetting the last few years of her life. Derrick insisted on calling her “Lady Arinae.” Perhaps that’s why she hated it so much.

Then there was Chrys. The name she’d been using for the last eight years of her life. The… what was it her father had called it… mutilation of her true name, Chrysanthemum. Now there was a name she truly hated. Even as a fairy, she refused to go by it. Chrys was the name she had chosen for herself. But how did you explain to everyone that knew you that you were going by a different name?

She sighed and closed her eyes again. It was good to be back, though. Perhaps, now that everyone’s memory had returned, she could just blend into normal life.

As normal as a woman with giant 6 foot wide butterfly wings could. Thank goodness they folded up tight still.

“He told me you were back,” a lilting tenor voice called from above her head. Her eyes shot open and she looked up into the upside down face of Laurence, another of her old childhood friends. “I called him a liar, ‘There is no way she would come back to Felicite and not stop in to say hi to us, Derrick.’ ‘She did stop in. Two hours ago.’ Apparently, only princes get the honor of not having to hunt you down.”

Chrys sighed loudly and sat up, keeping her back to the sandy haired man. “I didn’t stop in to see him. I stopped in to see the Queen Mother. ...I had no idea she’d passed…”

She pulled her wings out of the way as Laurence took a seat next to her. They sat in silence as Chrys rolled the ring back and forth between her fingers.

It was Laurence who spoke first. “No one blames you. You did not leave-”

“But I did leave. It might not have been my choice, but I left, and I forgot. And the world moved on without me.” She made a fist around the ring and pulled her arm back, as if to throw it. Slowly, her arm lowered, and she opened her hand, staring at the expensive trinket. “It still feels like yesterday to me… and I can’t forgive myself. Not yet, anyway.”

Laurence studied her, and she had a hard time meeting his eyes. Instead, she glanced around the open space and smiled. “Remember when I convinced you and Derrick that there were nymphs in the river? Turns out, there actually are! They just live in a different plane of existence, in the same world as the Fae. I met one-”

“You are deflecting.”

Chrys sighed again. She seemed to be sighing more frequently since returning. “What would you have me do, Sir Knight?”

“I would have you look at me.”

Chrys turned her head away from him. “Laur… I can’t.”

“Why not?”

Chrys’s brow furrowed as she remembered the last time she saw Laurence. It was that same fateful day, the day Derrick had gone against the king’s wishes and proposed to her. Laurence had shown up to take her before the king, and had told Derrick to follow through the secret tunnels. He hadn’t known what was about to happen, but he knew it seemed dangerous. None of them could have prepared themselves for the shock of Arinae’s father.

The memory was still vivid in her mind. She could hear her father shouting at the king, saying he was rightfully claiming what was his, as if she were something that had been lent out. She felt the pain race through her back as wings broke through skin and tore through her dress. She felt Laurence wrap his arms around her trembling figure as she tried not to cry. She heard him defend her, as no one else would. She saw the worried expression on his face as she kept the spell her father cast from touching him. And she remembered her desperate last words.

“Please, don’t forget me.”

At the time, these small gestures and words were all for Derrick’s sake, she had thought. Laurence had merely been protecting her, to keep Derrick safe, to keep him from bursting into the throne room. She had merely been relaying a message through him. At the time it had seemed superficial.

But along with that memory was the sad look on Laurence’s face as he saw the ring on her finger. She had thought it had been something with the king’s summoning, or perhaps, because their days of running around as the Terrible Threesome were quickly coming to an end.

Years added wisdom that her seventeen year old self could never have owned. And part of her recognized that her exchange with Laurence in that instance had changed the dynamics of their relationship. And now, however small that change was, it felt dishonest to acknowledge it.

After a moment of consideration, she started to speak, softly, barely over the wind.

“I want to blame Derrick for moving on, but the truth is… I think we… I think I… In that short hour, everything changed. I think the reason why I can’t get rid of this is… It assuages my guilt. If I hold onto it, it says I loved him with all my heart.”

Laurence gave her a cocky smirk. “You were seventeen, Ree, and he was eighteen. I think you both rushed into that. You didn’t have enough time to have second thoughts after the twitterpated adrenaline wore off. You might have called it off before you tied the knot. Or the king, more likely, would have gotten you exiled to some far land so Derrick could still marry Isabelle. Point is, you don’t know what would have happened. You can’t keep holding yourself to impossible standards.”

He held his hand out, palm up, and waited expectantly. Chrys couldn’t help but smile.

“You do realize this probably costs more than you or I could make in five years, right?”

“Says the girl who was going to toss it only a few moments ago.”

“I’m just saying, you could probably sell it…” She looked at the ring once more and channeled all her feelings of confusion and guilt into it, then handed it over.

Laurence smiled as she finally looked up at him. “Feel better?”

“A little… Don’t gloat, it doesn’t suit you.”

He laughed. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go see what I can get for this,” he teased, not bothering to stand.

“You’re not going to split it with me?”

“Of course not! You gave it to me!”

Chrys rolled her eyes. “Some thing’s never change, do they?”

“Never. Even if Derrick is too busy with Rugrat One on the way and two countries to rule, we’re still the Terrible Threesome. Nothing will change that.” He placed a hand on her shoulder briefly before standing. “Take your time, but we’re here for you. When you’re ready, my sister is making your favorite tonight. I hope you’ll drop by, unless you’ve got a better offer from the palace…”

“Well, I don’t know… all those fancy h’orderves are hard to pass up… Especially the caviar…”

She giggled as Laurence shuddered. “I’ll be expecting you around seven then.”

“See you then.” She waved back as he turned and left, watching him until he disappeared over the hill. It took her a moment, but she smiled as she lay back in the tall grass. He hadn’t forgotten her. Another moment, and she realized, besides using his pet name for her, ‘Ree’, he never once used her name.

Maybe he knew she needed time.

Or maybe he was just as confused as she was.

Either way, it was comforting. And as she looked up again, the clear sky reflected her newfound peace.

Yes. No matter who she was.

Truly, she was home.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Owen (emmadangerheart) | 16 comments The Time Hole
Word Count: 1008

Lilliana pushed her way through the busy cobble stone street. It was close to sunset. She was wearing a scarlet red top, blue jeans, red sneakers, and had long black hair tied in a loose ponytail. She had to find him. She knew he was at the old Rose Hotel near the central canal. She had no idea what he had done this time. He could transport anything, anywhere, and anytime.
He said he didn’t mean it, but he had said that many times before. He once somehow transport an elephant into a hotel room and it went through 12 stories. Then other time he transport a blue whale to a local pond. And then when he transport a tiger into a library. Luckily during any of those cases no one was hurt.
He was sitting on the green metal bench outside the Rose Hotel with a white shirt, black sneakers, black jeans and had choppy black hair. “What did you do this time?” said Lilliana tired. “I didn’t mean it really. It was an accident” he said. “ Frank how many times have you said before!” angrily yelled Lilliana. “Just show me, if you are going to be this way..”said Lilliana. She sat down next to him on the cold green metal bench and tightly grasped his right hand. Frank closed his eyes and thought of the place where he had been.
The next minute they were in a valley of wild flowers with mountains on all around them. “Over here.” Frank said walking slowly still holding her hand. He lead her to big hole in the ground. “I think I may of transported a time hole .” he said. “HOW?” yelled Lilliana. “I was sitting with my eyes closed here. I was thinking about time travel and how it would be cool if i could transport a time hole. And well here is the time hole.” He said Gesturing towards the hole.
“Well how are we going to get rid of this time hole. It can’t stay here where anyone could walk in this valley and crawl down the hole out of curiosity and land in a different time period like the the 1950’s or some other time period. They could rewrite history as we know it. Frank how are we going to do this?” said Lilliana walking around the hole 2 times. “I don’t know. I have never transport something like this before. Much less make it disappear somewhere. somehow ” said Frank. “Have you contacted Carol yet at least ?” said Lilliana. “No, not yet.” said Frank. “Why do I have to do everything around here anymore.” said Lilliana sounding frustrated .
“Carol?” said Lilliana into her cell phone with a rosey red phone case . “Yes, Lilliana.what do you need?” said Carol kindly. “Well somehow Frank transported a time hole to a valley and he doesn't know how to transport it back.” said Lilliana. “I see you guys on my scanner here. I will be there in a flash. Bye” said Carol. “Bye.” said Lilliana hang up the cell phone.
Carol was the head of the board that looked over anyone that had an unusual power and she had the same power as frank. Carol arrived at the scene with a pale green shirt, a black vest,black jeans, black high heels and her blonde hair in a bun on the back of her head . “I don’t want to know how.” said carol. She knew what Frank as done in the past. She has dealt with him for 5 or more years.“Can you transport it somewhere?” said Frank. “ I will try” said Carol. Carol waved her hand over the hole with her eyes closed. She opened her eyes and the hole was still there. She tried it over and over again.
“I have never seen anything like this.” said Carol. “ I can not transport the time hole or make it disappear for some reason. I have never heard of this before. So you two will have to stay here and make sure no one goes down the time hole.” said Carol looking at Frank and Lilliana. “Okay” said Frank and Lilliana. There was nothing else to do.
She made a small green painted house with all of their belongings, a sign outside the door, and a white picket fence appeared in the valley of wild flowers. “Here you go. Watch the hole and Frank try not to do this again.” said Carol. “I will try.” said Frank. “Well bye” said Carol. “Bye” said Frank and Lilliana. Carol disappeared and the time hole stayed along with the house, Frank, and Lilliana.
Then a few days later after that Frank had an idea. He hoped it would work. He went outside he closed his eyes and thought of a spacesuit. He put the space suit on then he touched the rim of the time hole and thought of space. He was in space with the hole. He let go of the hole and then transport himself back to the valley.
“Lilliana, good news I got rid of the time hole.” said Frank. “How?” said Lilliana. Frank told her how he made the hole disappear. “Well do you want to go back?” said Lilliana. “Yes, you?” said Frank. “Yes” said Liliana. “I will contact Carol.” said Frank.
“Carol, I got rid of the time hole.” said Frank. “Good” said Carol. “We want to go back.” said Frank. “Ok, i will come to the house as soon as I can.” said Carol. “We will be here.” said Frank.
Carol got there in about a minute. “So you want to go back?” asked Carol. “Yes” said Frank. “Okay, then I will take you two back to the rosey hotel and place your belongings back in place. They will be like you had them before.” said Carol.
They took Carol hands. Then they were transported back to the rosey Hotel. They went back to their apartment and found everything like they left like they before they left to watch the time hole.

message 7: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (last edited Jun 23, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
The Jewels of Rebellion
Word count: 1974

Jade walked down the bare street. It was almost curfew and she was one of a few stragglers hurrying home. Hurrying, because well, who didn’t obey the rules of Fachada? No one that she could remember, nor did anyone talk about anyone who hadn’t.

In actuality, everyone only thought she was hurrying home.
Why wouldn’t she be?

The rules were clear: Everyone should be in their homes by eight sharp each night, or they may be..called in. Jade shivered, despite the fact the air was still and room temperature like always. Someone must have disobeyed the rules once for the procedure to be put in place. No one knew what happened when one was called in, only that no one returned. And there were so many rules in Fachada! Curfew, plain clothing, three people present for a conversation, jobs starting at 13, they went on and on! The biggest rule, however, was instilled into every child:

Never leave Fachada.

Everyone was required to stay in the strict town, following dull rules. Of course, children were permitted to play for a certain amount of time every day, and there were some fun jobs, but life was so predictable.

That’s why Jade escaped every night after curfew. She went to a field, a sanctuary. It was nearby and she was always back by midnight so she had time to sleep before Morning Call. She knew she shouldn’t. It was a huge risk, but the flowers were so colorful compared to the dull town. It gave her courage for the next few days until she could escape again.

She ducked behind a drab bush and waited. Jumping as she heard a voice nearby, she quickly realized it was one of the talking clocks and rolled her eyes at herself. This happened every night, because she was more nervous then she admitted even to herself about the possibility of being caught. “5 minutes until curfew,” the mechanical voice announced. “Be in your homes at curfew or be locked out of your home.”

The hardest part of figuring out her escaping had been how to get back into her home after the doors were locked. Her mother worked in the law department and was sometimes home late, and had a clearance card to get back into the home which Jade stole and carefully replaced when she arrived home. It wasn’t an ideal situation, taking a large risk, but what other way could she do it?

Her parents hadn’t even noticed her absence every few nights because of the carefully placed items inside her room giving the impression she was asleep. She was teased about being in bed so early, but it was worth it. Her brother was too gullible to even check her room, believing her parents. Why wouldn’t she be in bed?

After a few minutes of crouching behind the bush, she heard an audible “click” as all the doors latched for the night. She smiled to herself and slipped further under the bush. The night patrol would pass by soon to check everyone was inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jade reached the field and paused at the edge for a moment, as she always did to take in the beauty of the field. Hundreds of forest-green stalks covered the field, each tipped with color like someone had painted small cups and placed them on top. Cornflower blue, creamy white, cardinal red; they were beautiful together. And the sky- oh the sky! Unlike the plain gray of Fachada, the sky was ever-changing and ever-beautiful. Sometimes, like today, she would arrive just as the sun began to dip below the hills in the distance and it exploded with the color. Before the field, Jade hadn’t known so many colors even existed!

She sat down amongst the flowers and caressed one gently. Soft and yielding, it seemed to caress her hand back. She took a deep breath. The sweet scent of the flowers flooded her nostrils. The first time she had smelled the flowers, it had been a shock to feel something in her nose. Usually it was just, well, there.

Looking into the distance, she wondered what was beyond. More towns like Fachada, strict and unmoving? Or towns like the field, bright and refreshing? Well, she’d probably never know.
Jade was heading home from work the next day, exhausted. The lady she had been working with had been extra demanding today for no good reason. “Fetch me more cloth for this shirt, Jade,” “Jade, you should be using the thicker thread to mend those shoes,” “That’s the wrong size of button, Jade.” How she hated her job! Working with the seamstresses was not her favorite job. Her mother had put in the suggestion, and of course it had been accepted. Why couldn’t she be working with the landscape workers, the cooks, the loudspeaker workers, or anything but seamstress? Even the cleaners would be better!

She decided to stop by her friend Opal’s residence before continuing home. Since her work was finished for the day and curfew wasn’t for a few hours, she might as well. Since Opal was only 13 and this was her first year with a job, she didn’t go until almost curfew like most cleaners; she finished a bit before Jade did, who was fifteen.

Jade pressed the buzzer on the door once and then sat down on the waiting bench. Buzzers were attached to each person’s watch, and when they had a guest they vibrated to let you know. Politeness rules dictated to sit down and wait calmly until the door was answered, and if it was not answered within the hour to leave a polite note about stopping by but being unable to continue to wait. Opal always answered promptly, however, just as she did today.

As Opal opened the door, Jade smiled at how her eyes lit up. “Hello, Jade,” she greeted formally. “Welcome to my residence.” Jade held in a smile while Opal did the polite greeting. She didn’t get why everyone had to say it, and it was always funny to her when it came from someone young.

“Like I haven’t been here a thousand times before,” Jade joked, striding inside.

Opal looked after her strangely. “Aren’t you going to say the reply?” she said.

Jade rolled her eyes to herself, but decided to do it anyway for Opal’s sake, who was terrible about always following the rules. “Thank you for the kind welcome, Opal,” she recited in a monotone.

Opal smiled and brought Jade to the kitchen, where they each took a seat and a plum. Jade looked at the plum. Fruit and vegetables were one of the few colorful things in the town, and they reminded Jade of the garden. She glanced back up at Opal, who was eating her plum without caring about what it looked like, just as she had been brought up. If only Opal wasn’t so mindless! Maybe she just needed a glimpse of the outside world...

Jade shifted in her seat. Inviting Opal to the field could end really badly, or she could end up with a friend to hang out with in the field and appreciate its beauty with.

She chose to be impulsive.

“Hey, Opal, would you meet me at the end of Sector 6, Residence 13 around 7:50 tonight?” Jade asked casually.

Opal blinked, “But what if we don’t make it back to our residences before curfew? That’s a pretty late meeting time.”

Jade looked in her eyes, “Please?” She watched Opal’s expression turn slightly afraid before settling back down to passive.

“Okay.”
At the corner where she had asked Opal to meet her, Jade started to wonder if Opal was even coming. Breaking a rule to Opal was absurd and dangerous. It was already 7:56 and if Opal was too late she could be putting both of them in jeopardy.

A few minutes passed and Jade was forced to go hide alone. If Opal didn’t want to come, then it was her loss. Unless she told someone… No, she wouldn’t. Opal might be a rule follower, but she wouldn’t turn her own best friend in, would she?

Jade shivered under the bush as she heard the 1-minute warning before the doors locked. It had been a lost cause anyway. She was forever alone in this town, and hoping that would change had been a stupid mistake.

Wait, what was that sound? Like shoes quickly hitting cobblestone, a quiet echo reached her ears just as the doors locked. Could it be Opal?

Jade thought her heart might just burst with happiness when she saw Opal. She quietly raised her head above the bush and motioned toward her. Opal’s head whipped around and she slapped a hand over her mouth like she was muffling a scream. She relaxed when she recognized Jade and walked over. “What are you doing? Why are we here?” Opal hissed at her.

“I need you to trust me,” Jade told her, clasping hands with her. “Please, just come hide in here with me.” Opal look at her dubiously before climbing into the bush with Jade, who smiled at her gratefully. “Now wait until I give you the signal and don’t make a sound.”

After a few more minutes, Jade heard the night patrol pass by and continue to check the next sector. “Follow me,” Jade whispered, slipping out and walking toward the field. “There’s something you should see.”
Opal sat among the flowers with Jade. The former had finally got over her gawking and was now enjoying them.

“Why do they smell?” Opal asked Jade again. “Why are they so bright?” Jade sighed. Opal kept asking her these questions, and it was the same answer every time.

“I don’t know.”

Opal sighed and pinched one between her fingers gently. Jade had thought it would be more fun then this to share the field, but she had been mistaken. Opal just wanted to know why why and why. She couldn’t wrap her small mind around the concept of so many colors in one place and right outside Fachada. She also seemed so uptight, like she was expecting a guard to come any minute and take them away. Jade hadn’t been discovered for the past few months, so why would she now?

Just as she thought this, her heart dropped to her feet. Heavy footsteps echoed behind her. Hoping with all her might it was just Opal stomping in the flowers, Jade turned around.

It was a night watchman. He walked straight toward Jade, scowling fiercely. Jade started to scream at the top of her lungs, which was all she remembered before blacking out.
Opal followed the night watchmen who was carrying Jade back to the town. Yes, she had turned her best friend in for suspicious behavior, but wasn’t that what any good citizen would have done in her place?

She told herself it was, but the guilt weighed on her like a ton of bricks.
Opal sat in the field and cried. She didn’t care if they found her, she didn’t care! Jade was gone and she was never coming back and it was all her fault. She was treated like a hero by most of the town that thought she had done a good deed, but others knew she had betrayed her only friend and gave her the cold shoulder.

Even the bright colors of the flowers couldn’t calm her as she watered them with her tears. They were a reminder of what she had done.

After a few minutes her tears dried, a resolution stirred up inside her: The whole town would find out about the field and the leaders who had convinced them they were the “good guys” would suffer for what they had done.

Her resolution. The spark before the blaze.

message 8: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new)

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
Honestly, probably not. I would love to, but I don't often have time to add to previous written works.

message 9: by lorien, In Between (new)

lorien | 2558 comments Mod
Apologies if this doesn't sound like my best entry. I'm super tired and failed to do this earlier

Title: Wonder and Distractions
By: Lorien Rhys

The numerous canals in Amsterdam are truly a sight to behold if you're a tourist. Which, clearly, I am and no doubt the Hollanders can see that too. What with my hazel brown eyes widening at every chance they get.

Ever since my family landed from the States, we've been carrying our luggage on bikes to a hotel which isn't too far away but still, we're moving along much more slowly since at every five minutes, one of us wants to stop and look at the new sights. Not that I blame them, since I'm sure I'm the one who does it the most.

Regardless, I can't help but chuckle at each of these moments where we stop because one of the twins spotted a stand selling pure Dutch food, most including stroopwafels which taste like sweet goodness!

The reason we're stopping on our rent-a-bike is because Frida and Dimitri are leaning over the railing studying the traffic of boats that look like to be homes or small watercraft which a group of teens are testing out.

I smile as the boat glides under us and disappears from sight.

Father lets out an annoyed buff under his breath and asks the twins, their heads still being bent over the canal, "Can we please get a move on? It's close to five and I want to relax after that long trip."

"Dear," Mother starts in her most pleasant voice with an obvious strain no matter how hard she tries to hid it, "we're all tired but the children just want to see everything. It's Amsterdam. What's not to stop and stare at?"

"Fine. But I want everyone to promise that we won't stop any more until tomorrow. Good?" And without anyone answering, he says, "Good." And pedals off, making the rest of us follow after him.

Fico and I give both Frida and Dimitri sympathetic looks which they both shrug nd talk among themselves.

"Amber?" Maple's small voice called from behind me.

I slow to the side, making sure no one is whizzing by and say to Maple, "Yes?"

"I was wondering, why can't we walk to the hotel? Mum and Da are paying for the bicycles but if we walked, they wouldn't have to pay at all!" Maple nearly exclaims this but quiets down a bit. She has quite the calculating mind in our family so to hear this isn't very surprising.

So I answer, "Well, I just think that they want to get the best experience out of Amsterdam. We are here for just four days after all."

"But. . . what if something happens while we're gone? What if a robber comes into the home and steals everything we have? That would be very bad."

You know, for a ten year old kid with big eyes and a plump head of curly hair, she sure is thinking ahead. I mean, sure. I usually wonder what would happen but it's not like I'm being over concerned about it. But that's Maple for you.

I then hear a pair of two bikes rumble next to us and grin broadly when the twins come to our side.

Frida and Dimitri were near look alikes when they were much smaller but now that they're both reaching up to seventeen now, well, that is nowhere near the truth. Sure they have the same shade of brown hair, very, very light, and same set of icy blue eyes but other than that, they look nothing alike.

Frida constantly wears her hair in a high ponytail and is quite the tom boy in my family. While Dimitri has his hair in a neat combed back style with shaved sides which I think is dyed gray because I've never seen that on any of the other guys where we live. The twins are a team and always seem to be two steps ahead of everyone else. So maybe stopping by the canal was their plan all along to annoy Father.

"Man, I could really go for some Taco Bell right about now," Dimitri complains as he pedals with no hands and fidgets with his black leather jacket which I have to scowl at him for not putting both hands on the bars.

"Have you ever stopped thinking about your bloody stomach since we landed?" Frida groans, trying her English accent but failing miserably.

"Nope. Not one bit. You know how much I love to eat and besides," Dimitri wiggles his eyebrows as another stand comes into view, enticing poor tourists like ourselves to come take a look, "I see a few lovelies not too far away."

"Sheesh. You'd think he was talking about something else."

Aaand this how it usually is. The twins fight but it's happy and roses by the time we reach our destination.

Which we do, an hour later. Clearly it wasn't fast enough for Father because he's looking absolutely exhausted by the fine we reached the check out.

Us kids sit in the lounge area as we wait for them to get our rooms.

We left the bikes outside and so our suitcases are either leaned up against our seats or on our laps. Fico looks tired out completely and is resting as he dozes off quickly on the olive green chair. The twins are playing a game of paper-scissors-rock to fight for the bed they want to have while Maple stared intently at the ground, her curls covering most of her face like a curtain. As for me, I have a book in my lap which I thought was perfect for a summer trip likes this.

Let it be known that Amber Wolfe never goes on a trip without a book. Whether it's a four hour trip or twenty-eight hours.

After ten minutes or so, our parents are walking back towards us and wave the keys eagerly in their hands. "Alright kiddies! Time to unpack and get comfortable." We all cheer, earning a few odd looks from the workers, but go up the sleek wooden stairs.

I still can't believe that this is my first time visiting the very same area where my grandparents met and had my mother. It's kind of funny because before we left for the trip, they both told me all the restaurants and shops we had to try or which people were the nicest and which to stay away from. We haven't gotten the chance to follow their advice yet but I have no doubt it will be loads of fun once the day is over.

We do finally find our room and rush over to who's bed is who's. I claimed a bed close to the round window which has a clear shot of a the canals and busy streets.

"So," Father started, clapping his hands together and scanning the area so everyone has his attention, "we all know what will happen next." Everyone nods excitedly and he can't help but laugh. "Make sure be you all have your money with you otherwise you won't have any treats unlike the rest of us."

I dig through the suitcase's many side pockets and finally pull out my black wallet. I'm sure you can already tell which color this family likes the most.

With that, everyone hustles down the hall, searching for a vending machine.

We, the Wolfe family, have a tradition which we've been doing ever since I can remember. Whenever we stay at a hotel, everyone buys some little treat at the machines and we enjoy them back in the room. I love this tradition and now the trip is being even more exciting.

We all take our turns and punch in the numbers for each of our treats, which we don't open until we go into the room.

Once we're back, Father reads the plan out loud as he munched on Dibs like Mother. "Tomorrow we'll go for a stroll, maybe eat at a restaurant, maybe even go somewhere Oma and Opa recommended."

"If we can afford it," Frida calls out from across from my bed. "After all, we aren't exactly the wealthiest of the Dutch and we can't just ask for money on the streets!"

"Did you honestly think we wouldn't come to this trip prepared, missy?" Father replied cooly. "Oma and Opa gave us the money to do this so they also gave the money for us to have a little fun too. So there's no need to fret."

"Unless we all die in the middle of the night because someone's big mouth opened," Frida says, glaring at me which I think is very odd considering she was all smiles and laughs when we arrived here.

"Hey," I say. "I haven't Talk a lot since we arrived in Amsterdam. So don't blame me."

"It's a joke, Amber," Frida says, smirking too big for her own good. "Maybe you've been too serious for a while so I guess Dimitri and I need to loosen you up and get you back in a silly mood."

"Noooo, thank you," I say slowly, taking a bite from a Magnum bar. "I have experienced your torture by being interrogated with duck tape, dear older sister, and that was far from fun when you guaranteed I would."

"Fico can be the next test subject then," Frida glances over to Fico who is clearly trying very hard not to fall asleep. "Yo Fico! Hear that? You'll be our next subject."

"Hooray for me," Fico says sarcastically as he gives me a small smile and frowns at the twins. "Why do you two even need to joke around all the time anyway?"

"Because if we don't, we'll die!" Frida says a bit too loud and topples in the nice fluffy pillows from laughter.

I roll my eyes but smile as I think about the adventure our family will have during our stay here. Will we get to see everything we can and want to? Will the people here be as nice as some people say? We'll never know until we experience it ourselves.

---------------------------------

I wake up the next morning to see that my auburn hair is in front of my face and tangled in a mess. I puff out my cheeks and blow out a breath of air, trying to move my messy strands away. After five times of repeating the process, I sigh and roll on my stomach to see the time. Five o'clock in the morning. Not too bad.

The window on my side is just waiting for me to open it so I do and let in the crisp morning air. Whatever adventures are waiting for us on this trip, I hope we'll have the time of our lives.

The End

"You're seriously going to end it there?" Frida screeches which hurt my delicate ears.

I huff and snatch the notebook out of her hands and head back to my desk. "Of course not! I just gave out a sample piece."

"Oh," Frida simply says, leaning against my window sill and crossing her arms. "Good. Because that would've been plain rotten for you to do that."

"Any parts you want me to add in?" I ask, tapping my pencil impatiently.

"Add in, huh? Well, tell them about the time we bumped into Archer but clearly you were secretly crushing hard on this other guy we saw in Amsterdam."

"I did not!" I screech this time, making my own ears hurt. "Wilhelm was just being nice to me while we stayed in the hotel."

"Yes, but he was only nice to you, see, I'm pretty sure he like should back."

"He did not!"

"Did too!"

"Didn't!"

"Did!"

"That's it. It's officially The End for this," I exclaim, writing the satisfying words on the page.

"You can't just-"

THE END

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.