The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.11 - Sarah E's Task: Treasure Hunting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
25.11 - Sarah E's Task: Treasure Hunting

To celebrate the ultimate bookish treasure hunt that is the SRC, let's follow our own treasure map towards the prize of ... well, books!

This is a TWO book task. Pick two different options.

REQUIRED: state which options you chose.

Option 1: Which direction?

After landing on the shores of the Isle of Lost Books, you take out your treasure map and peruse its contents. You find the first landmark, and follow the compass direction indicated.

Pick your compass direction from the 16-point compass rose. A list of the 16 directions is included in post 2 of the help thread.

Using the title only, the first letter of each word in the title must match the letters of one of the abbreviations used for compass directions.

One word titles are allowed. Spaces indicate words; titles with symbols (@, &, etc.) may not be used.

REQUIRED: state the direction you are using AND its abbreviation.

Examples:
I chose south (S) and read Salt: A World History
I chose northwest (NW) and read Night Watch
I chose west-southwest (WSW) and read Where She Went

Option 2: How many paces?

Now you have your direction, how far should you go? Roll two dice to determine how many paces you should take.

Read a book that is the same number in a series as the total number rolled.

REQUIRED: state the two numbers that you rolled and their total.

Option 3: X marks the spot

You reach the point marked on the map with a big red X.

Read a book with an X found somewhere in the title, subtitle, or author's name. One qualifying author will work if there are multiple authors.

Option 4: It's a book!

After much digging, you uncover a chest that is filled with lesser-known books that have been left by previous intrepid readers. Treasure indeed! In the most elaborate "take a book, leave a book" scheme ever, you swap your favourite book for one found in the chest.

Take a book from the chest and read a book from the first five pages of the Best Lesser-Known Books list

REQUIRED: state which page of the list your book is on.
Optional - tell us which favourite book you left behind in the chest.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Compass Directions

N - north
NNE - north-northeast
NE - northeast
ENE - east-northeast
E - east
ESE - east-southeast
SE - southeast
SSE - south-southeast
S - south
SSW - south-southwest
SW - southwest
WSW - west-southwest
W - west
WNW - west-northwest
NW - northwest
NNW - north-northwest

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Reserved

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 6: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Beautifully written task! I'm looking forward to discovering my book treasure.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments BriKie wrote: "Beautifully written task! I'm looking forward to discovering my book treasure."

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your treasure hunting.

message 8: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 881 comments I love this. You task creators are just so....so....creative!!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Ann A wrote: "I love this. You task creators are just so....so....creative!!"

That's very kind, thank you. It's really those who create tasks every season who are the most creative - I had a long time to mull over ideas just in case I ever needed them. ;)

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1644 comments The Option 1 instructions say "titles with symbols (@, &, etc.) may not be used." Does this mean that Stormqueen! isn't eligible because it ends with an exclamation point? Or is that only regarding symbols that stand for words?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Julia wrote: "The Option 1 instructions say "titles with symbols (@, &, etc.) may not be used." Does this mean that Stormqueen! isn't eligible because it ends with an exclamation point? Or is that ..."

I have consulted Wikipedia (where else!) for confirmation that an exclamation point is punctuation, and not a symbol.

Punctuation is not excluded, so you are good to go.

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Option 1) Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky - South (S)

Option 2) Seven Up by Janet Evanovich - rolled 2 & 5 which gives a total of 7.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1216 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1) Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky - South (S)

Option 2) Seven Up by Janet Evanovich - rolled 2 & 5 which gives a total of 7."

Those work.