YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > Good transgender/genderqueer fiction novels?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Needle (new)

Needle Wang | 3 comments As a genderqueer teen, I'm always looking to read more novels about those on the transgender spectrum.

Alternatively, any suggestions on books about trans people that would be informative but not problematic or scary to give to my parents?

message 2: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 4 comments These are all the trans books I know of !

George
If I Was Your Girl
Peter Darling
A Kind of Justice
The Art of Being Normal
Every Heart a Doorway
Coffee Boy
When the Moon Was Ours
Roller Girl

Hopefully some of them you can add to your tbr. And goodluck with your parents <3 Coming out is super hard I'm proud of you

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Jun 03, 2017 08:52AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16656 comments N. S. wrote: "As a genderqueer teen, I'm always looking to read more novels about those on the transgender spectrum.

Alternatively, any suggestions on books about trans people that would be informative but not..."

My favorite YA books with genderqueer MCs include these (NB - a couple have assault as a plot component, check reviews or ask me if that's triggering)-

Spy Stuff
Freakboy
Symptoms of Being Human
If I Was Your Girl
Dreadnought
Robin Reardon has a new one coming that I got an advance of - Waiting for Walker
Love Spell
Educating Simon
Two Boys Kissing
I am J
Parrotfish
Beautiful Music for Ugly Children

There are a lot of books on our group bookshelves for F2M-transgender, M2F, genderfluid-nonbinary, We also have an intersex shelf - those books often also deal with gender aspects to life and relationships. Click on "bookshelf" upper right under our logo, then click on the shelves you want to see (again, any member can shelve books so they are not guaranteed accurate).

There are also Listopia lists like "Booklist for Trans Teens" (note that the older books tend to have more votes and not every book on a GR list is accurately placed, but 263 books) https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

For your parents... You might look through the articles we have linked in the "trans narratives" thread - some are by parents of trans kids
I've heard people praise Raising Ryland: Our Story of Parenting a Transgender Child with No Strings Attached but haven't read it

You might also hook them up with the Gender Spectrum Lounge - it offers chat for genderqueer people and their families - there are a lot of parents on there, often asking questions and discussing resources - https://www.genderspectrum.org/we-can...
As a parent of two genderqueer kids I have found the Gender Spectrum has good resources.

message 4: by Ay (new)

Ay  (amazonaute) | 19 comments Matthew J Metzger. He writes splendid trans fiction. He has a review site called transbookreviews.wordpress.com where he and a cis person do joint reviews of books.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samel) | 26 comments James Stryker has a couple.
Boy: A Journey is more of a literary story than strictly YA, but it has no explicit content and is safe for a young adult to read.
The Simplicity of Being Normal is YA.

While both are appropriate for a young adult audience, make sure to read the warnings just in case.

message 6: by Kaje (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16656 comments Amazonaute wrote: "Matthew J Metzger. He writes splendid trans fiction. He has a review site called transbookreviews.wordpress.com where he and a cis person do joint reviews of books."

He's amazing. Just be aware - "Spy Stuff" that I suggested is YA, but some of Matthew's books are quite erotic, including some BDSM sex scenes.

message 7: by Ay (new)

Ay  (amazonaute) | 19 comments Very very true. His new one, sex in C major has major trigger warnings and is not for the faint hearted.

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16656 comments Just saw that a new YA book from Ann Gallagher (an author I enjoy as L.A. Witt in her adult books) is currently free for 4 days on Amazon - Having Her Back

Trevor Larson is a Navy brat. He’s used to moving every few years, and thanks to social media, he can stay in touch with the friends he leaves behind. But shortly after he leaves Okinawa, his best friend, Brad Gray, cuts off contact and disappears.

Four years and two bases later, Brad resurfaces—and announces his family is coming to Trevor’s base in Spain. But a lot’s changed in four years, and Trevor is stunned to find out Brad is now Shannon. Their reunion isn’t quite what either of them had hoped for, but they quickly find their footing, both relieved to have each other back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07172NXLP

message 9: by Even (new)

Even Herfindal (book-of-thieves) | 2 comments If I was your girl by Meredith Russo!! It's amazing!

message 10: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Croucher | 14 comments Hi all,

I hope this is ok to add on here. I just wanted to promote my LGBT novel The Butterfly on Fire: Mind, Body and Soul. It's a fantasy / fiction novel made up of three narratives that entwine together throughout the book. The main character is a transwoman, and the story follows her journey in modern day Londo. This is mixed with the wonderful fantasy world that reflects her situation.

Overall, it's a very empowering novel, and I really hope you all like it.
Feel free to ask me if you want any more info on the story! :D

The Amazon URL link is here (eBook and Paperback):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DT6XQF

The main website is also here with more information, including the first Chapter available as a preview.

www.thebutterflyonfire.wordpress.com

The Butterfly on Fire Mind, Body and Soul by E L Croucher
The Butterfly on Fire: Mind, Body and Soul

Enjoy!

E L Croucher

message 11: by Lexxi Kitty (last edited Jun 20, 2017 01:13PM) (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 14 comments I have 27 works on my 'transgender' shelf. Probably around 23 have been read, so far. In terms of Young Adult - I believe everything I have on my shelf has already been mentioned. Except for one, but the request was for 'good' transgender books, so I'll skip mentioning.

In terms of the rest -
Finding Your Feet (Toronto Connections, #2) by Cass Lennox by Cass Lennox is New Adult, though despite the idea that New Adult has 'more sex' than YA, the book isn't sexually explicit. Probably helps that one of the main characters is asexual (actually demisexual), while the other, the FtM transgender fella is reluctant to have sex for various reasons. (Of Note: Problematic in recommending: Apparently some reviews found fault either with the representation of the asexual, and/or the representation of the transgender fella).

Wonder City Stories by Jude McLaughlin by Jude McLaughlin - a superhero prose novel. Many many characters, one of whom is transgender (another FtM).

message 12: by Kaje (last edited Jun 20, 2017 06:08PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16656 comments E wrote: "Hi all,

I hope this is ok to add on here. I just wanted to promote my LGBT novel The Butterfly on Fire: Mind, Body and Soul. It's a fantasy / fiction novel made up of three narratives that entwi..."

Would you consider this a Young Adult novel? The blurb is unclear about the ages (where YA typically has main characters under 21.) Or is it more of an adult book but with no sex or violence that is beyond YA limits?

message 13: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Croucher | 14 comments Hi Kaje,

Thank you for raising this.

Some of the main characters are based in a fantasy realm in which age doesn't really matter. But the protagonist is aged in her early twenties. Flashback chapters also follow a younger character going through secondary school. Whilst their are some serious themes there is no serious violence or erotic sex scenes. But, at the same time, I wanted it to be a real representation of yound adult life.

What do you think?

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Jun 21, 2017 06:46AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16656 comments E wrote: "Hi Kaje,

Some of the main characters are based in a fantasy realm in which age doesn't really matter. But the protagonist is aged in her early twenties. Flashback cha..."

Sounds like it bridges YA anyway- the main audience would be a matter of emphasis but it should fit with us - thanks for the details.

message 15: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Croucher | 14 comments Kaje wrote: "E wrote: "Hi Kaje,

Some of the main characters are based in a fantasy realm in which age doesn't really matter. But the protagonist is aged in her early twenties. Fla..."

Ok great, thank you for letting me be part of the group!

message 16: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Croucher | 14 comments N. S. wrote: "As a genderqueer teen, I'm always looking to read more novels about those on the transgender spectrum.

Alternatively, any suggestions on books about trans people that would be informative but not..."

N. S. wrote: "As a genderqueer teen, I'm always looking to read more novels about those on the transgender spectrum.

Hi there,

Can I offer my novel?

It's a realistic portrayal of the male to female transition, and would be great for parents to read as well (as it works on the difficult emotions that a person who realises they were born the wrong gender goes through at a younger age).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DT6XQF

Let me know if you want any further details

Emi