The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2017 Challenge Archive > LGBTQ+ Appreciation (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
The Stonewall Riots of June 1969 were a landmark event in bringing Gay Rights to public attention, which is one reason we try to do something commemorative in June each year. For more on this event...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexper...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone...

Mission: Read at least one book about an aspect of the LGBTQ+ experience, fiction or non-fiction.

Possible Categories
1) LGBTQ+ Fictional Character, written before 1969
2) LGBTQ+ Fictional Character, written after 1969
3) LBGTQ+ History
4) LGBTQ+ Memoir or Biography
5) LGBTQ+ Author
6) LGBTQ+ Studies

message 2: by megan (new)

megan | 885 comments I'm in!

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3819 comments Mod
I am reading The Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. I have read many of her books, especially her Mrs. Murphy mysteries, and her autobiography. Rubyfruit Jungle is her first novel. I am enjoying it so far, but I can see why some people would have had issues with the language when it was first published, but compared to now, the language is quite tame.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3819 comments Mod
Category 2: Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

I read Rita Mae Brown autobiography years ago, called Rita Will: Memoir of a Literary Rabble-Rouser. The author lived in an alrtment in New York very similar to the one described in the book.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I read The Danish Girl. What an amazing relationship! Now I'm waiting to borrow the DVD from my library.

message 7: by megan (new)

megan | 885 comments Read I'll Give You the Sun for Fictional Character written after 1969

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Wow! The movie was gorgeous. Edward Redmayne is a phenomenal actor!

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Well, I read The Night Watch, another well written Sarah Waters novel, in June. I love her novels.

I'll Give You the Sun has a movie out? I'll have to check it out. The book is great.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Sorry. I was unclear. The Danish Girl is the movie I was referencing.

message 11: by Paula (last edited Jul 03, 2017 01:28AM) (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Sarah Water's last novel, The Paying Guests is an excellent read with a lesbian theme.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I've read The Paying Guest and started Fingersmith. I'm so impressed by Waters's ability to make you feel the time periods she writes about.

message 13: by megan (new)

megan | 885 comments Read: I'll Give You the Sun for LGBTQ+ after 1969

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Renee wrote: "I've read The Paying Guest and started Fingersmith. I'm so impressed by Waters's ability to make you feel the time periods she writes about."

Yes, she certainly does her research, whether it be London during the Blitz or Whitstable in the Victorian-era, she's thought of every last little detail. She's also a cracking storyteller!