The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2017 Challenge Archive > Daddy, Dearest! (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. For this challenge you can either:

1) Read a book recommended by your father or which your father loved
2) Read a book about a father/child relationship

And don't forget to call your dad.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments My Dad did not read very many books. He mainly read farm magazines and agriculture articles. If he did read a book, it was a Western. My Dad passed away in 2007. I miss him every day, would love to call him on Fathers Day. In memory of Dad, I am planning on reading The Desert of Wheat by Zane Grey.

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
I'm so sorry for your loss, Cindy. I think you will enjoy the Zane Grey. All the more so as you imagine your father's enjoyment of the story.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4045 comments Mod
My dad passed away in 1996 and I still miss him too, but I have a lot of fond memories. He enjoyed reading, especially after he retired. I grew up in a small farming community and I wish everyone would know just how important farmers are.

message 5: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 138 comments A gal I went to high school with has authored a book titled The Liberty Club as a tribute to her parents and their roots.... Her dad was the owner/operator of this establishment throughout our childhood. My own father has been gone a goodly number of years and if he read (and he likely did, just not that I ever saw), it was technical (electrical probably) manuals. Not his daughter's cup of tea. I'm anxious for The Liberty Club to get here!!

message 6: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Glennis, my dad's the same way, he read construction and auto manuals mostly. He can't now since he is almost blind from diabetes.

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Cindy, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope your book brings back fond memories

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am reading King Lear, a play about three daughters( two of which are horrible) and a very confused father.
My dad's favourite author was James Michener, and I plan to read one of his books when I go on holiday in 8 days. Maybe I will even finish it before the end of June.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished King Lear, the story of a very unhappy family.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I finished The Desert Of Wheat by Zane Grey. It was OK, a little disappointing. I don't know if Dad would have liked it. He was a farmer, would have liked the wheat descriptions. Probably would not have liked the ramblings on love and war.