The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Sandi's Task: Sunshine Mining Memorial

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4516 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Sandi's Task: Sunshine Mining Memorial

On my journey to find a book for the Spring 2017 fifty point task requiring a book set in or by an author within a 200 mile radius of my birthplace, I ran across The Deep Dark: Disaster and Redemption in America's Richest Silver Mine, which tells of a 1972 mining disaster in the area where I grew up. While I ultimately didn't choose to read this book for that task, I have used it as a basis for this task. Pick one of the three options below and read one book that fits the task.

Option #1 -- The Sunshine Mine is located between the cities of Kellogg and Wallace in northern Idaho. It has been one of the world's largest and most profitable silver mines.
♡ For this option, read a book by an author whose name (in any position) is Wallace or Kellogg; i.e. Wallace Stegner, Irving Wallace, Laurie Kellogg. Exact match only; no spelling variations.

Option #2 -- The disaster this book covers occurred on May 2, 1972. Ninety-one workers perished from smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning. On May 2, 1974, the State of Idaho dedicated the Sunshine Miner's Memorial (see it) in memory of those whose lives were lost. This past May marked 45 years since the disaster.
♡ For this option, read a book
A) first published between May 2, 1972 and May 2, 1974 (inclusive of both dates) OR
B) in which 45 or 91 is intact in the total page count.
*NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition. See the rules for the complete method.

Option 3 -- While it was a tragedy that 91 lives were loss, there were also 83 miners who were rescued; 81 on May 2 and two on May 9.
♡ For this option, celebrate this fact by reading a book with SURVIVAL as a main page genre (such as the book this task is based on).

These lists may help you find a book - be careful, since not every book on the list includes SURVIVAL as a main page genre:

Best True Survival Stories

There is a list called Best Wilderness Survival books - if you go to Browse>Listopia and put that in the search field, it should come up.

message 3: by Sandi (last edited Jun 03, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Additional Info:

SURVIVAL can be an embedded genre

Link to Best Wilderness Survival books

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments The "Best Wilderness Survival Books" link just leads to this thread.

message 6: by SRC Moderator (new)

Melanie wrote: "The "Best Wilderness Survival Books" link just leads to this thread."

OK, this is weird - it was working yesterday. For me, it doesn't lead to this thread, but to a message that the page cannot be found. I'm going to delete it.

message 7: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Can Survival be an embedded MPG? If yes, could you verify this for Survival MPG?

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit

Thanks!

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments BriKie wrote: "Can Survival be an embedded MPG? If yes, could you verify this for Survival MPG?

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit

Thanks!"

Genre verified. Enjoy!

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "Melanie wrote: "The "Best Wilderness Survival Books" link just leads to this thread."

OK, this is weird - it was working yesterday. For me, it doesn't lead to this thread, but to a message that th..."

Melanie wrote: "The "Best Wilderness Survival Books" link just leads to this thread."

I added Sandy's intended listopia to message three above. Hopefully it will stay linked up. Sorry

BriKie wrote: "Can Survival be an embedded MPG? If yes, could you verify this for Survival MPG?

SURVIVAL can be an embedded genre ;-)

message 10: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2443 comments Please approve Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage as SURVIVAl thanks

message 11: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Marie wrote: "Please approve Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage as SURVIVAl thanks"

Genre noted. Enjoy!

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Dee wrote: "Can I get The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride approved for survival"

Genre verified. Will add to post #2 when I'm home from work tonight. Enjoy!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments thanks!

message 15: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Can I have Hold Back The Stars approved for Survival, please?

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Sally wrote: "Can I have Hold Back The Stars approved for Survival, please?"

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Please verify The Disaster Diaries: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Apocalypse for survival"

Genre verified. Enjoy!

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Just wanted to verify Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival for option 3 (survival).

message 20: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Diane wrote: "Just wanted to verify Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival for option 3 (survival)."

Genre verified. Will add to post #2 when I'm at my desktop.

message 21: by Ann A (new)

message 22: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Ann A wrote: "Can you confirm Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole for "survival" genre?

Thx!"

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Is it possible to have this approved?

I have searched for a more specific publication date for this:

Conundrum

The only reference I can find is "1974" but there is a NY Times review from March 17th of 1974 which would imply it falls within the specified publication dates

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/11/23...

Will this work? Thanks.

message 24: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Hi Jamie,

Appears to work . . .

It definitely looks like it was first published in 1974. Wikipedia states that and Goodreads record agrees. As for the the specific date . . .

This edition (Conundrum) comes up as a first edition when I google to buy but Amazon states it is "a second revised edition of this account of Jan Morris' transexuality and change of sex, with a new introduction and an additional chapter." Amazon has the publication date as March 18th 1974.

Approved as first published 1974 and before May 2nd. Please post link to this approval post when posting to claim points. Thanks!

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Thanks Sandi!

message 26: by Sam (new)

message 27: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Sam wrote: "Could you confirm In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette for "survival" genre?

Thank you!"

Genre verified. Enjoy!

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Please verify Salt as having the survival genre.

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Sorry Nicola, I missed it. I'll look again later and hopefully it will return

message 30: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Actually, it looks like Sandy caught it in the general genre verification thread but did note it had children's genre as well. If it works under children's rules, you are set -- Enjoy!