The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.1 - Most Improved Player - Lauren Jodi's Task: Wonder Woman

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:29AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4532 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved Player - Lauren Jodi's task: Wonder Woman

The new Wonder Woman movie premiered this week in several countries. The first female focused superhero film in several years, Wonder Woman has been the subject of debate, controversy and even boycott. Nevertheless, the movie has received numerous glowing reviews and is a box office success as well. In honor of this film, read ONE book from the following options.
REQUIRED: State the option you chose when posting.

Option 1: SECRET IDENTITY
The titular character is based on the DC Comics heroine also known as Princess Diana of Themyscira and Diana Prince.

Read a book by an author who uses a pseudonym. For example, Nora Roberts also writes as J.D. Robb, J.K. Rowling as Robert Galbraith and Stephen King as Richard Bachman. Your book may be written under any of the pseudonyms (or the real name) used by the author.

REQUIRED: If the author's GR profile does not mention their pseudonym, please provide a link to the information when posting.

Option 2: DOUBLE TROUBLE
Both Wonder Woman and the actress who portrays her, Gal Gadot, have monikers beginning with the same letter.

Read a book whose title consists of at least two words beginning with the same letter. Read a book whose title consists of at least two words beginning with the same letter. All words count including articles. Numerals and symbols such as “&” count as words. All words in the title must begin with the same letter.

For example:
Peter Pan
Secret Sisters

Option 3: SUPERHEROINE
Wonder Woman is the latest installment in a series of films focusing on comic book heroes. It is the first to revolve around a female protagonist in 12 years and is directed by a woman.

Read a book from the I am Woman Hear Me Roar listopia. (Be careful with your choice as it is possible that some of the books do not meet the SRC rules).
REQUIRED: State which page of the list the book can be found on when you post.

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Jun 04, 2017 09:45PM) (new)

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Does not work:

For option 1 - only a single author will work
James S.A. Corey is two authors under one name.

For option 2, all the words in the title must begin with the same letter. So these do not work:
Every Last Lie
Little Girl Lost
Death at Victoria Dock
Death Going Down
Murder & Moonflowers

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments For the secret identity option does it matter if we read the book under the authors name or the other name. As per your example. Would it matter if we read a Nora Roberts book or a J.D. Robb one?

message 6: by SRC Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "For the secret identity option does it matter if we read the book under the authors name or the other name. As per your example. Would it matter if we read a Nora Roberts book or a J.D. Robb one?"

Hey, Sheila, I neglected to add the relevant sentence - it can be written under any name used by the author. The task has been updated to reflect this.

message 7: by Pia (last edited Jun 03, 2017 12:06PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For Option 2, can we use a book of more than 2 words, but where at least 2 start with the same letter?

For example:
Every Last Lie
Little Girl Lost
Death at Victoria Dock
Death Going Down

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments OK, thanks

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Sheila wrote: "For the secret identity option does it matter if we read the book under the authors name or the other name. As per your example. Would it matter if we read a Nora Roberts book or a J.D. Robb one?"

You can read a book under either name. So bot Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb would work.

message 10: by Lauren (last edited Jun 04, 2017 04:14AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 2, can we use a book of more than 2 words, but where at least 2 start with the same letter?

For example:
Every Last Lie
Little Girl Lost

All the words must begin with the same letter regardless of how many words are in the title. So these wouldn't work.

It would have to be like this:
Murder Most Malicious
Wild Wicked Wonderful

message 11: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments For Option 2, can the same word be repeated? I'm thinking of Everything, Everything.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I want to verify Days of Blood & Starlight for option 3. It is on the list but I want to make sure it works.

message 13: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Got it!

I found a few titles on my TBR list:

Green Girls
Silent Scream
Brush Back
Closed Casket

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Camilla wrote: "For Option 2, can the same word be repeated? I'm thinking of Everything, Everything."

Yes. This is fine.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I want to verify Days of Blood & Starlight for option 3. It is on the list but I want to make sure it works."

If it is on the list and it meets the SRC requirements then it works. So, yes.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Pia wrote: "Got it!

I found a few titles on my TBR list:

Green Girls
Silent Scream
Brush Back
Closed Casket"

Yes. Any of these is fine.

message 17: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments LOVED the movie!

message 18: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Just checking that this book is okay:

Murder & Moonflowers

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Tien wrote: "LOVED the movie!"

Me too!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Wanda wrote: "Just checking that this book is okay:

Murder & Moonflowers"

Sorry, but no.
All the words in the title must begin with the same letter. That includes connectors like "and" or "&".

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2245 comments might be worth updating the task to clarify option 2?

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (naughtonkp) For option 1, can I read a book written by two authors who share a pseudonym?

James S.A. Corey is both Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Kevin wrote: "For option 1, can I read a book written by two authors who share a pseudonym?

James S.A. Corey is both Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck."

No. Super heroes are only one person with a secret identity. So it can only be a single author.

message 24: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Mark Twain -- does this qualify for Option One? As far as I know, all of Samuel Clemens' books were published as "written by Mark Twain"; but "Mark Twain" isn't his name, his name is Samuel Clemens. Thanks!

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Deedee wrote: "Mark Twain -- does this qualify for Option One? As far as I know, all of Samuel Clemens' books were published as "written by Mark Twain"; but "Mark Twain" isn't his name, his name is ..."

Yes. Mark Twain is a pseudonym so it works.

message 26: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1721 comments Does this work for option 2: Rich People Problems

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 2: Rich People Problems"

No. All of the words in the title must begin with the same letter. See message #3.

message 28: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (boromom) | 54 comments Will Vampire Academy work for option 3?

Thanks

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Brandi wrote: "Will Vampire Academy work for option 3?

Thanks"

If it is on the list and fits all of the SRC requirements then it works.

message 30: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 205 comments The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is on page 4 of the list. May it be used? It is a graphic novel, but it is definitely not for children. The rules say it can only be used with your permission I think. Thanks!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Sam F wrote: "The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is on page 4 of the list. May it be used? It is a graphic novel, but it is definitely not for children. The rules say it can o..."

Yes. It is on the list and meets the SRC requirements.

message 32: by Sandy (last edited Aug 12, 2017 11:23AM) (new)

Sandy | 15694 comments Mod
Please see the Rules of the Challenge:

"5. Books whose main page lists any of these genres: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may only be used for 5, 10, and 15 point tasks unless specifically allowed in the task description for a higher point task. "

Unless I am overlooking it, this task does not specifically allow books with these genres, and thus this book cannot be used for this task.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1506 comments Thanks Sandy.
You are right. The task description does not specifically allow graphic novels.