Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Kitchen House
This topic is about The Kitchen House
Archive - Buddy Reads 2017 > The Kitchen House - June 23, 2017

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Join us to read The Kitchen House The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom .

When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family. Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.

Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk.

Colleen  | 138 comments I read this last year (finally) and if you decide to read the sequel I'm in!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5945 comments Mod
I want to read this too! I'm not sure if I'll be able to join right now, but I'll let you know.

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "I read this last year (finally) and if you decide to read the sequel I'm in!"

Ditto

Colleen  | 138 comments Lynn wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I read this last year (finally) and if you decide to read the sequel I'm in!"

Ditto"

:)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I'm so looking forward to finally getting to read this ~ heard such great things about it.

I attempted to start it a couple of years back but life took an unexpected turn, I had a stroke and it never happened. Finally I've got memory and reading for myself back, albeit at a slower pace :-)

Thanks Vicki for setting this up :-)

Colleen  | 138 comments Good luck Cathie, wishes for an ongoing recovery. Glad you'll finally be able to read this one.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Colleen wrote: "Good luck Cathie, wishes for an ongoing recovery. Glad you'll finally be able to read this one."

It was over 3 years ago Colleen, so I'm well on the mend, although there will be side effects for life (confused thinking, poor memory, some ill health, what I call baby walking, etc.) (On the plus side, I get to relearn almost everything again for the first time and this learning is really wasted on the kids who don't realize how cool it is!)
I've been reading every since before I woke up in the hospital. They brought in audiobooks or read to me from almost the fist day so my mind would recognize words, talking, stories, etc. :-) I'm just a little slower at reading now and sometimes i even forget what book i'm reading, lol

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Glad to hear that Cathie! You have a beautifully, positive attitude. Probably one reason you are doing well.

We will all just read at our own pace and use either page numbers or percents along with spoiler tags.
So join in whenever Kristie.

message 10: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments I've owned the Audible version of this book for several years but haven't read it yet. This will be a great reason to finally listen to it!

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Sounds good Helen. I am curious to hear how you like the narration.

message 12: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments Well, it looks like I am going to have to put this book off yet again. I belong to six local libraries and have holds on ebooks and audiobooks at all of them. I'm usually way down the holds lists but Friday and Saturday I got notice that five audio and two ebooks were checked out to me. All at once! So I'll be busy with the loans for awhile. Hope you have a great buddy read.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen aka Pyewacket wrote: "I've owned the Audible version of this book for several years but haven't read it yet. This will be a great reason to finally listen to it!"

I also own the Audible version and have had it for a while. I hope to finally get around to listening to it! I just need to finish the books I already have going or at least a couple of them.

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Is everyone ready to start this one?
Remember to post your chapter/percent and to use spoiler tags. :)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have it on audio and just finished my current book, so I listened to a bit (chapter 1) while driving home today. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. I will probably have some time to really get into it tomorrow.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Oh, this is going to go quick I think.
I went to take a peek because I am finishing up a couple other books and I ended up reading about 13%.
It is very descriptive and I like how she is introducing the characters and telling how each is related to the other. (sometimes I have trouble keeping track of that).

Kristie - Totally agree with your spoiler!

End of Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments I just finished another book and I will now jump into our buddy read - looking forward to discussion!

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm in chapter 25 and oh this book!! (view spoiler)

Vicki - re your chapter 5 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 20: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 24, 2017 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Willis | 834 comments End of chapter 25
(view spoiler)
I can hardly stop reading.

End of chapter 27
Crying!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I probably won't have much reading time today, which is too bad because I don't want to stop. I should have more tomorrow.

I can't wait to read your spoilers. I wish we had that ability on the app. I've been dying to chat about all that's happened.

message 22: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments I'm so glad I made time for this buddy read! I am already at chapter 49 - this is such an engrossing read.

Vicki, keep the tissues handy - there's sad crying, mad crying, and happy crying yet to come. The audible version is great - the narrator uses an Irish accent when Lavinia speaks.

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

As expected, I didn't have hardly any reading time today. I only made it into chapter 27. I should have plenty of time to read more tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

message 24: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 24, 2017 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Willis | 834 comments End of chapter 34
(view spoiler)

I will have very little time, if any, to read tomorrow. I will get caught back up with you ladies on Monday.
Enjoy!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I started reading this a couple of days ago. This is so beautifully written. What a great story. I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 26: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments Finished! This was a GREAT book. A solid 4.5 stars which, on my grading scale, is high praise. A 5 star book is one that keeps me in a fog for three days after finishing it because I am either devastated, deliriously happy, or in some other altered state of conscientiousness.

I'll wait until others finish to discuss in detail.

My review: Helen's review of The Kitchen House

Happy reading!

Vicki Willis | 834 comments How far along are you Cathie? Are you still enjoying it?

Nice review Helen!

Where are you in the book Kristie?

I finished! I loved it and gave it 5 stars. I didn't want to put it down. I could really feel for the characters, even some of the ones I didn't like!
I had never heard of this one before we started talking about Glory over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House, so I am excited to have found it.
I will be game to read the next one (I already bought it!). We will wait and let anyone else who might read with us enjoy this one first. :)

Vicki's Review

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm in chapter 47. I haven't had much time to read the past couple of days because my grandson is visiting, but I'm dying to get back to it. I was loving it. I'm so heartbroken for (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished! Wow!

message 30: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments It didn't end like I thought it would. How about you, Kristie?

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Some parts I expected and others not so much. I really enjoyed this one. I kept thinking about it when I didn't have time to read. The characters just stayed in my mind. The only thing I really got frustrated with was (view spoiler)

message 32: by Pye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 14 comments Kristie wrote: "Some parts I expected and others not so much. I really enjoyed this one. I kept thinking about it when I didn't have time to read. The characters just stayed in my mind. The only thing I really got..."

I agree with your spoiler - it was really frustrating. Another issue that I felt was just glossed-over was (view spoiler)

I was surprised that (view spoiler)

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

That was part of my (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I agree with everything you ladies just said.
I had to really think about (view spoiler)

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I did read that, Vicki. I thought it was interesting that she tried to leave out some of the more disturbing parts, but when she did the writing stalled.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I finished this today and loved it! This was such an emotional read for me I had to read it at home and make sure not to read it when I was on the subway or out because I never knew how my face would react!

I'm wondering why I never read this before??
My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Great review Cathie!

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow! Mostly 5 stars here! Definitely a good book. Is everyone planning to read Glory Over Everything? I'm going to post in the buddy read thread to see if anyone has date suggestions.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I really want to read the next one, but I don't know when I'd be able to get to it.

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I am planning on reading it. I already have it. I would be good with what others would like to do.