Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gaol/Nominations > July, 2017 Nominations - Jilted at the Altar

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:11AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Hi Ladies!
Happy Summer holidays!

For the month of July, we are reading HRs featuring heroine/Hero who are Jilted at the Altar

Rules of Nominations:
Not more than 2 nominations per member
First 8 nominations will be considered for polls
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs

Here is a list to help

left at the altar in HR

message 4: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I third A Summer to Remember and also nominate His Jilted Bride

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

message 6: by Priya (last edited Jun 05, 2017 01:07AM) (new)

I too would like to read A Summer to Remember. I think with all of us backing it, this is going to be our group read for sure:)

message 7: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:05AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments A Summer to Remember this book's story takes place AFTER the heroine has been jilted and it's aftermath--but I love this book, though I won't be voting for it since I can't reread it right now. Lauren's jilting is a big part of the story, though it doesn't take place in this book.

Lauren gets left at the alter in the book One Night for Love which is about another couple.

FYI, One Night for Love and A Summer to Remember are sort of prequels to the "Slightly" series about the Bedwyn siblings, but not critical to read beforehand. I'm a little OCD about reading series books in order, but I'm trying to change.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments 😃 me too. I've actually read half of the Bedwyn books, I don't know how AStR escaped my notice...

message 9: by Priya (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "A Summer to Remember this book's story takes place AFTER the heroine has been jilted and it's aftermath--but I love this book, though I won't be voting for it since I can't reread it r..."

I thought AStR is the only prequel to Bedwyn Saga. I never knew about ONfL. Thank you Andrea for the information. I too am obsessed with reading series in order.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments These two books are not necessary for the Bedwyn series, though they make an "interesting" appearance in AStR.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments It's been in my wishlist forever, but her books are usually so expensive...but. Some day I will have read all the Mary Balogh books...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Andrea,

When I initially discovered MB prior to joining GR, I binge-read all of hers that my library had!

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Lucky you... My library doesn't have any of her books ☹

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Andrea,

I'm really surprised that my library had so much of MBs back titles and old series' because they don't have Survivor's Club or the present series she's working on that has published two books so far.

Overall, my library is not great with buying HR.

message 15: by Priya (new)

I have to check if my library has any of Mary Balogh's books.

message 16: by Priya (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "These two books are not necessary for the Bedwyn series, though they make an "interesting" appearance in AStR."

Now you got me intrigued:)

message 17: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 06, 2017 07:23PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Priya,

In One Night for Love is more that characters from A Summer to Remember appear in A Summer to Remember.

Also, One Night for Love, wulfric Bedwyn, the Duke (forgot his title) eldest of the family is a guest at Lauren's wedding festivities and wedding that take place in One Night for Love. The Bedwyn's are like cameo appearances only. The intermingling of the characters (most cases as minor characters) are what occur in some of these 8 books.

message 18: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments For me, it is because my library has Bedwyn Saga 1-6 but not the two prequels (.5 and.6). A group read will give added incentive to purchase.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I just read A Summer to remember and really liked it. The first book not so much so was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to start The Bedwyns now.

Just a question for all you Mary Balogh readers. Do we ever find out what happens to the other characters in these two novels such as sydnam Kit's brother or Gwendoline, Neville's sister? They seemed like they had interesting stories that I wanted to read more about.

message 20: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2017 08:55AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lisa,

Kit's bro Sydnam is the Hero in one of the four books of the "Simply" series (only 4 books) as is Neville's cousin Maquess of Attingsborough (Joseph).

I think the Bedwyns make cameo appearances as do Lauren and Kit at some point in this "Simply" series too.

Gwendoline is the heroine in book 1 of the "Survivors" club series.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 17 comments I nominate The Champion (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #2) by Heather Grothaus The Champion I'm thinking about joining the year long reading challenge, and I know I haven't read any Medieval ones this year, so this one will work.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Lisa,

Kit's bro Sydnam is the Hero in one of the four books of the "Simply" series (only 4 books) as is Neville's cousin Maquess of Attingsborough (Joseph).

I think the Bedwyns make cameo appear..."

Thanks so much Andrea for that info. Amazingly, you can't get the Bedwyn books on kindle in Australia so I've ordered them in paperback which is no problem because I really prefer to read that way. I'm just having a problem with book space at the moment, sigh.

I also really like it when I discover a series which has been out for a while so no waiting for the next book!

message 23: by Priya (new)

It is Voting time! Vote for July group reads here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.