What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction book about 7 friends attending a funeral

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Genre: drama
It was about 7 friends attending a funeral.
First chapter was The Wake. Last chapter was The Funeral. The chapters in between were for each friend and also a chapter for the deceased. It was a great book but I cannot remember the name of the book or the officer for the life of me. I think it came out somewhere between 2003 and 2007. Help!

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith | 221 comments You should put more information about the book in the post title, e.g. "Book about 7 friends attending a funeral" instead of "Book title and author".

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:56AM) (new)

Kris | 33340 comments Mod
Mel, is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Can you tell us more about the main characters - their jobs, interests/skills, key events in their lives, etc.?

What's the genre or tone - sad, angsty, funny, mystery, etc.?

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Adult book. Drama. Tone of the book was sad. 6 females and 1 male who went to school together. The male is the deceased. The book starts with a wake. Each female has their chapter which describes their point of view and how they interacted with one another. The mail has his chapter to explain his point of view. And then there's the funeral. I read this book about 10 years ago so that's about all I remember about it. I do remember it was a good book and I thought the author's first name was Judith, but I'm not sure.

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments One of the females was married to the deceased and several of them may have had relationships with him.

message 6: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments A guess because the author's name is Judith - A Good Man by Judith Henry Wall?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
What country and time period is it set in? How old are the characters - 20s, 30s, 50s, 70s?

message 8: by Arielle (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:38AM) (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments Sounds like one we read for our book club somewhat recently, but I think that one was more family members remembering a dead guy who used to frequent the bar/restaurant where they're hanging out. Looking for the title; haven't found it yet. Want to say it was set in an Irish pub but I'm not so sure about that. Also think "Danny Boy" had something to do with it.

...here it is: Charming Billy, by Alice McDermott. Does that sound at all right?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Unfortunately, no. :(
The author had a jewish last name. Katz, Wiseman, Weissman.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments maybe The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman?

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Kym - that's not it, but it sounds like a good read (pun intended)
Rachel - that's not it, but also sounds like a good read.
Lobstergirl - it was set in the 70s and 80s

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Thank you all. I appreciate your help!

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 27 comments Arielle wrote: ",,,Charming Billy, by Alice McDermott. ..."

That's the one that came to my mind, too, Arielle, but it didn't quite fit Mel's parameters about a chapter for each mourner. The other one I thought of was Virginia Woolf's The Waves, where friends mourn another, but it doesn't quite fit either.

Have you tried a google search, Mel?

message 14: by Mel (new)

Mel | 7 comments Lily - yes, I have. Every combination that I can think of.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Mel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 16: by Rosa (new)