Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Books > Dying Earth Fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

Dan | 343 comments I have just heard of a new (for me) subgenre of science fiction: Dying Earth Fiction. The subgenre takes its name from Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth, which is also the quintessential book that defines the subgenre. The article I read on this subgenre lists a precursor for it: The Zothique Cycle by Clark Ashton Smith, found here: The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies. Gene Wolfe apparently is the most famous modern practitioner of this subgenre: The Book of the New Sun

Here's the link to the article on the subgenre: http://www.unboundworlds.com/2017/05/...

Has anyone read other books in this subgenre? I wonder if the Star Trek episode "All Our Yesterdays" is a fitting candidate?

message 2: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
I haven't read him, but my understanding is that Matthew Hughes has a series that is an homage to Jack Vance's Dying Earth. or at least directly influenced it.

the first book in the series is Majestrum

you probably already know this, but Michael Shea also wrote a book set in the Vance's Dying Earth: A Quest for Simbilis. I read it a long while ago but remember enjoying it.

although I haven't read this subgenre widely, I have affectionate feelings about it because Jack Vance and Clark Ashton Smith are two of my all-time favorites.

message 3: by Micah (last edited Jun 05, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments I had never really looked at the subgenre before but had heard the term. When I read the description of it on Wikipedia I immediately thought of Greg Bear's City at the End of Time, which I've read and liked though I could not figure out what genre it fit into before!

The Wikipedia page listed it in its examples of section, too.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments Now that I think about it, Æstival Tide by Elizabeth Hand, and I suppose the other books related to it fit this genre as well. I've only read Aestival Tide. Strange book with some powerful imagery and unsettling ideas.

message 5: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
I can't believe I forgot the Hand trilogy! one of my favorite things, back in the day. overdue for a reread. I think my favorite was the first, Winterlong.