Play Book Tag discussion

May 2017: 2004 > Death and life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Jun 02, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2187 comments The first few chapters make the book start with a punch. Charlie and his little brother Sam are involved in a terrible car accident. The description of the rescue had me almost holding my breath. From that intense first few chapters the author slows the story right down to tell you about Tess, from Marblehead MA, who loves to sail and is planning to participate in a solo race around the world. I wondered where the story went. Not to worry, it came back and it was quite good.

Some might think its a pretty light story and I suppose it is. I can imagine that some might find it emotionally manipulative. I found it sweet but not saccharine, and at times I could smile or get teary eyed. I liked Charlie and Sam and Tess and all of the characters. I feel this could be shelved with magical realism and I like small doses of that.

Nice change of pace and I just found out they made it into a movie - back in 2010. I'm guessing it wasn't a blockbuster but I'm thinking about watching it.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5639 comments Well, you had me at "Tess" ... LOL