Books and Jams Readalong discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
North and South - June > Chapters 41-End

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
You did it! You finished the book! What are your final thoughts/impressions? How would you rate this book? What has stood out to you that you may not have talked about in any of the other sections?

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I did it! I leave tomorrow for a week at a camp and was determined to finish North and South before I left...and I did it! Yay me! haha.

I absolutely loved this book. It was definitely a slower read than I'm used to, and took me quite a while to get into it, but once I was in it I was in it! I loved the slow building romance between John and Margaret. John is definitely a new book-boyfriend for me!

I did think the ending was too abrupt for all that buildup. I would have liked another page or two of them finally getting together! It seemed like it finally happened and then, BOOM, the book is over! While it was satisfying to a degree and so very sweet, I just wanted more.

Did anyone use the endnotes as you were reading? I started to at the beginning, but realized it was adding to the slowness for me. So I stopped. I wonder if there were things I missed out on by not reading them all.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts as you finish!

message 3: by randomreader (last edited Jun 26, 2017 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I DID IT.
I finally finished North and South. Honestly, it was a little rough for me to get through. I liked the first half, and then it gradually went downhill from there for me. I loved the tension between Margaret and John, and I adored Mr. John Thornton as a character. Like Krista said, he's definitely a new book boyfriend for me too! (I think I may like him better than Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice! Even though I've seen P&P the movie, but haven't finished the book yet, I think it's safe to say Mr. Thornton surpasses them both for me.) He was by far my favorite aspect about the book.

Robyn mentioned she got frustrated with Margaret and I did too, after a while, but then she got her spark back towards the end of the book and I began to like her again. I really liked how she made the conscious choice to have courage and try to break out of her sadness.

I didn't use the endnotes, Krista! I thought about it in the beginning, but nah lol.

In the end, I'm really glad I pushed through this classic. I used to think I was a Classics-oriented reader, but after reading so much YA the past two years, it's definitely challenging to get through this kind of language.

I did give it 3 stars because I thought most of it was pretty slow and it was a little long, but Mr. Thornton made it all worth it to me! :)

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments Oh! I also wanted to mention the BBC miniseries. I re-watched it right after finishing the book, and I can't really say which format I prefer. I liked the book version of Mr. Thornton better, although I'm not complaining about Richard Armitage, because...yeah. ;) Margaret in the series was pretty good too.
Overall, I thought they did a great job of condensing it all into 4 episodes.

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I DID IT.
I finally finished North and South. Honestly, it was a little rough for me to get through. I liked the first half, and then it gradually went downhill from there for me. I loved the tensi..."

I'm in the last 100 pages, and I agree that Margaret is getting more likeable again!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I did it, too! I'm proud to say that I pushed through. I've figured out that Victorian literature is not my cup of tea, per say, but am happy that I read a classic. She certainly has a million colorful ways to express a thought. Their "formal" way of addressing each other in normal conversation fascinated me. It made me feel like our interactions today are quite simple and dull. Thank you for choosing this book, Krista!

Wendy (wmaresca) I know it is the second week of July but I was determined to finish the book.

I honestly can't say I loved this book. I agree with everyone about Mr. Thornton. He seemed like such a good guy. Morals and work ethic and the way he managed his employees.

Margaret really started to bug me. I didn't understand, did she like him or didn't she. And her Aunt Shaw and cousin Edith they really bothered me. It was like Edith was just using her as a companion and when she was back in the city why did she stay home when they went out to all the dinners. I didn't understand that.

I really like Mr Higgin's such a great character. The way he took in the children and worked to make sure they where feed. Loved him.

I have to say giving it 3 stars due to the fact that I liked Mr Higgins and Mr Thornton's characters. But must admit was a tough read for me.