Books and Jams Readalong discussion

North and South - June > Chapters 28-40

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Share your thoughts on this section. What have you liked/disliked so far? Any quotes that stand out to you?

message 2: by Krista (new)

Last night I foolishly started watching the mini-series of North and South. I stopped at the part that matched up to where I am in the book. But now I really want to finish both the book and the mini-series! It's getting so good and I cannot wait for the scene in the train station!!

I love the character of Nicholas, but do have a bit of a hard time reading the dialect of his speech written out. It's not impossible, but it does pull me out of the flow of reading just a bit.

Margaret's opinion of John has finally changed...or should I say she's finally realizing her feelings for him go deeper than she thought. I love the tension whenever they're together. I love that he showed up when she was talking with Nicholas. Spot on timing, Ms Gaskell! :)

I

message 3: by Debbi (last edited Jun 17, 2017 07:17AM) (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments I started watching the mini series yesterday.

message 4: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments Krista wrote: "Last night I foolishly started watching the mini-series of North and South. I stopped at the part that matched up to where I am in the book. But now I really want to finish both the book and the mi..."

Krista, I totally know what you are saying with the dialect being written out, and it throwing off your reading. I always find myself skimming over those parts a little bit :) liking this book overall so far! As soon as I'm done with this, I'm definitely watching the mini series!

message 5: by Krista (new)

Debbi wrote: "I started watching the mini series yesterday."

It's soooo good! And I couldn't wait to finish...so I finished watching before I finished reading! haha. oops!!

message 6: by Krista (new)

Robyn wrote: "Krista wrote: "Last night I foolishly started watching the mini-series of North and South. I stopped at the part that matched up to where I am in the book. But now I really want to finish both the ..."

Yeah, dialect doesn't usually bother me as much as this one. I am just having a hard time figuring it out. I keep trying to read it with an accent, but some of the words just don't make sense! I get the gist most of the time, but it definitely interrupts the flow for me.

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments Is Margaret starting to get on anybody else's nerves...or is it just me? Plus, her tension with Mr. Thornton isn't making me happy. haha!

message 8: by randomreader (new)

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I haven't reached the point of being frustrated with her yet, and I'm loving the tension right now! But I'm only on chapter 35. That could change lol.
Also, right now I really don't care much about the Frederick situation. I just want her to realize how caring and sweet John Thornton can be!

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Krista wrote: "Last night I foolishly started watching the mini-series of North and South. I stopped at the part that matched up to where I am in the book. But now I really want to finish both the book and the mi..."

I watched the mini-series after I finished the book. I really enjoyed it and think it helped in my understanding of some of the interactions that I found a little more challenging during my reading.

message 10: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments Jenn wrote: "Krista wrote: "Last night I foolishly started watching the mini-series of North and South. I stopped at the part that matched up to where I am in the book. But now I really want to finish both the ..."

I agree! I just watched it last night after finishing the book, and it cleared up some questions I had about the book.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words) (lifebetweenwords) | 11 comments Ok. I've been waiting to read the book all month and it's just not going to happen. I tried not to get any spoilers from your comments. But they're definitely making me excited to pick up the book!

message 12: by Krista (new)

Katie wrote: "Ok. I've been waiting to read the book all month and it's just not going to happen. I tried not to get any spoilers from your comments. But they're definitely making me excited to pick up the book!"

It's definitely not a quick read. But I'm glad I worked my way through it. I ended up really, really enjoying it. The beginning was a bit slow and the book in general was just a slower read for me, but I think you'll enjoy it when you get to it!

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) So I am at chapter 33 now and still not getting into the book. I don't know why but Margaret's characters gets on my nerves. Although she seems to be such a carrying person the way she acts to Mr Thornton, I still don't understand. I will say there is also one other thing that I like and it is that she is very take charge. I think if it wasn't for her and here strong will her family would be desolate. So I guess I am contradicting myself(lol) she is ok just don't like the whole Mr Thornton act

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) So I am now at chapter 38 and Margaret drives me crazy. I think I need to watch the mini series to really understand where she is coming from.