Books and Jams Readalong discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
North and South - June > Chapters 15 - 27

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
We have made it about 1/2 way! Have your initial impressions changed at all? How are you finding the plot, setting, writing, characters? Have any characters surprised you in any way?

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I'm currently about to start Chapter 21. I'm really liking Margaret because she's confident but not arrogant, and she really cares for all the people in her life. I feel like she was pretty quick to judge Mr. Thornton though, even with the way his personality comes across to people.

I'm not sure if I love John Thornton yet, but I really do enjoy reading the little bits about his noticing her, and the parts where he mentally describes what she looks like, and how he noted the first time their hands touched even though she didn't at all lol. I like seeing Margaret through his eyes!

I also think I relate to Margaret in that she's quiet but not timid, and because of that sometimes other people think she's "haughty." I've been accused of being stuck up before, simply because I don't tend to talk very much in large groups. It's interesting to hear those type of words spoken about Margaret, while we as readers get to go inside her head and see that she doesn't think she's better than anyone else at all!

I felt like this section went much faster than the first one. Maybe it's because I'm totally invested in the story now and we had a little bit of unrequited love between John Thorton and Margaret. I'm really enjoying this so much more than I expected to when I first started.

I think Mrs. Thornton and Margaret are very similar in a lot of ways. They both are steadfast and loyal to those they love and both have inflated ideas of their own standing in society.

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I'm about to start chapter 27.
I completely forgot about the riot scene! I just love how Margaret reacted to that.
But I feel bad for Mr. Thornton! I love his inner thoughts toward Margaret.

JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I'm about to start chapter 27.
I completely forgot about the riot scene! I just love how Margaret reacted to that.
But I feel bad for Mr. Thornton! I love his inner thoughts toward Margaret."

I'm loving these two characters more and more. I'm on Chap 32. I also love how we see their thoughts along the way. It's fun watching them change their minds about each other and see their feelings change and grow!

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments The fruit scene!!!!!! I was laughing out loud. He was just so sweet and awkward!

message 7: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments I am WAY behind in reading this, though I AM enjoying it!! Maybe try and get caught up later tonight or tomorrow, going to St. Augustine today w/my Mum to do a little shopping and lunch!! Hooe everyone has a great weekend!!

Cathy I just finished chapter 27 and I'm really enjoying this book with each chapter I read! Even though that last chapter was so sad.

Mr. Thornton and Margaret remind me a little of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice. He loves her and she despises him! At least so far. : )

I love the thoughts of both characters as well as the minor characters of the parents and siblings. Will Margaret's brother Frederick risk coming home? I'm really curious about that!

Cathy wrote: "I just finished chapter 27 and I'm really enjoying this book with each chapter I read! Even though that last chapter was so sad.

Mr. Thornton and Margaret remind me a little of Mr. Darcy and Eliz..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And I definitely got Darcy and Elizabeth vibes too.

Wendy (wmaresca) I am slowly getting through this I know it is now July but June was not a great reading month for me. Family visiting and Sons graduation made my life a bit crazy.
So just finished chapter 23 and slowly starting to enjoy the book. I am just struggling with some of the characters. I am assuming the women where quite fragile during this time period it seems. Mr Thornton's mother seems so mean and also his sister Fanny. Miss Hale throws herself out there to help Mr Thornton when the rioters attach his house and they look down upon her, at least that is the way I read it. And I also confused a bit, does Miss Hale care for Mr Thornton I know he cares for her. She almost comes across a bit indifferent. Well on to the next chapter. Hope to finishe the book by the end of this weekend.

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I think for a lot of the story she was oblivious to his feelings for her, due to her being wrapped up in herself, her worries, and her love for the South. She was oblivious to Henry Lennox too, if I remember correctly.

JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I think for a lot of the story she was oblivious to his feelings for her, due to her being wrapped up in herself, her worries, and her love for the South. She was oblivious to Henry Lennox too, if ..."

I think she was a bit wrapped up in herself, but also dealing with a lot of grief as the book went on. She had a LOT on her plate! But I also think she had a huge respect for John Thornton and it was fun watching that grow to love.

Wendy (wmaresca) Ok made it through this section of the book and I am now on chapter 28. I felt horrible for Mr Thornton when he told Miss Hale how he felt about her and she was not very nice about her feelings toward him. Yet just a few pages later he comes by to see her mother and she states how her stomach get gittery, well not in those words(lol). I really don't understand her. I get that she has a lot on her plate but wouldn't it be nice to have someone who loves you to lean on. Especially the way her mother acts to her. I couldn't believe what she said to her about when she was born and how she wasn't a cute baby but her brother was beautiful. That was such a horrible thing to say, but I guess Ms. Hale is use to it.

Well on the the rest of the book. Wish me luck, I know it is after June but don't think I will finish the book until late tomorrow.