Books and Jams Readalong discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
North and South - June > Chapter 1-14

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
What are your initial thoughts and impressions? Do you like the short chapters? What do you think about Margaret Hale? How are you finding the writing? Are you connecting to the story?

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments So first off, I've already seen the Netflix/tv series adaptation of N&S with Richard Armitage. It was a few years ago so I don't remember details, only that I enjoyed it and I remember the ending. Don't worry, you won't get spoilers from me! :)
Anyways, so far so good for me. I'm finding the writing not so hard to get into, which is what I was afraid of because it's been so long since I've read a standard classic book like this. I do like Margaret so far. She seems strong and smart, but she's not annoying about it, you know? She's not throwing her "not like other girls-ness" in our faces lol. And I do connect with her when she mentions how much she loves the forests near Helstone. She makes the setting feel so magical!

Wendy (wmaresca) So I started reading the book last night but couldn't keep my eyes open. I haven't read a classic in quiet a long time. It was hard getting into it in the beginning but now I am starting to enjoy it a bit. Margaret's mother is very frustrating. I agree with Jen I like Margaret also she is different for that time period it seems but it doesn't bother her. I am wondering if I missed it but how old is Margaret is considered a spinster? Well I am going to continue reading some more tonight only at chapter three right now.

Wendy (wmaresca) O.k. so I am calling it a night but made it to chapter 5 I know I am probably not supposed to comment until I am done up to 14 but figured I would write while it is in my head, lol. It is ok right now but sticking with it. The writing is a little strange and have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. One Margaret's age and two why is her father leaving the church. What was it he felt bad about. Was it not excepting the premotion. Did he feel as if he was lying to his wife and good clergymen would tell there wife? Just a little confused of why he was upset and leaving the church.

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I found out from a later chapter that Margaret is 19! I'm still not 100% sure why her father left the church, other than his mysterious "doubts." I'm taking this to mean he's doubting his Christian faith???

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I found out from a later chapter that Margaret is 19! I'm still not 100% sure why her father left the church, other than his mysterious "doubts." I'm taking this to mean he's doubting his Christian..."
My understanding is that yes, he couldn't continue to be a minister since he was doubting his faith for some reason, and it would be a sin to continue to preach to others if he didn't believe it himself completely.

Cathy I'm really enjoying this book so far! (I'm just starting chapter 14) I recently finished Villette by Charlotte Bronte and it was very dense, so I was a little leery about starting this one right away. But I'm finding it a lot easier to get through then I thought I would. I think the short chapters help with that. I'm loving the writing and finding it so different than the other book I've read by her (Ruth).

I'm not sure how I feel about Margaret yet. She seems a little snobbish and opinionated but that could just be her age and inexperience in a new town with different types of people. She does seem kind in helping Bessy and her family though.

I'm so curious as to why Mr. Hale left the church as well! There could be so many reasons! I do love how Margaret stands by her father, it's beautiful to read.

Wendy (wmaresca) Thanks Jen. I was really wondering her age she seemed older almost like a spinster. I think that is what the called them if they were not married by a certain age back then. Still trying to figure out why he left the church. and Margaret's mom it seems is very clueless. But then again I am only on chapter 6

message 9: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments I have only read up to chapter 8 so far. At first, I found the writing style rather different and a bit hard to follow. As I read a couple or three chapters, it started to flow much better for me. As for Margaret, I think perhaps due to what her father has decided, she's had to suddenly grow up a bit before her time, although she's far from being a child. Her mother strikes me as being one of those women that is kind of frail, emotionally more than physically maybe. I'm eager now to see how Margaret is going to adapt to their new home, that is where I've left off, they are traveling to their new home, and are just arriving. I'm finding that I'm enjoying this more than I thought I might, so I'll definitely be continuing on with it, and I'm glad to be participating here with you all!

message 10: by Robyn (last edited Jun 11, 2017 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments I think the writing of North and South is easier to understand than Pride and Prejudice, or maybe that's just me. It seems more simple...although, I do struggle through the parts when the Milton villagers are speaking. I like Margaret's character so far. She has principles and she sticks to them, and she doesn't seem to be into the frivolous things like so many Victorian female characters are. Enjoying it so far, but it's definitely taking up a lot of my time! :)

I just got through chapter 14 today and I'm really liking this now. It was a little slow going at the beginning, but not difficult. I am definitely getting some Pride and Prejudice vibes and I love it. I think the pacing really picked up once the Hales arrived in Milton. I can't wait for more interaction between Margaret and Mr Thornton. I loved hearing about Frederick in this last bit. I had forgotten about him from the movie.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Just starting Chapter 5...to echo others, it was a little difficult at first. I had to re-read quite a bit. However, I feel eager to keep going and learn more about the characters! I'm excited to stick with Margaret and learn her whole story.

Tracy wrote: "Just starting Chapter 5...to echo others, it was a little difficult at first. I had to re-read quite a bit. However, I feel eager to keep going and learn more about the characters! I'm excited to s..."

I did find that it got easier the farther into the story I read. I hope it's the same for you!

Wendy (wmaresca) ok so I just finished the 15th chapter and still struggling to read it. I will definitely finish it, but will only be able to read a bit at a time. I have always wanted to read classics but I am struggling. I like the back and fourth between Margaret and Mr Thornton but get a tad confused sometimes by what they are saying. It seems her mom showed a bit of a back bone in a few chapters but it certainly seems like a lot of women get sick or are not well, lol

So onward I go to the next few chapters and the call it quits for the day.

message 15: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments I feel much the same way. While I basically am enjoying the story, it's a struggle to understand what they are trying to convey, the idea the characters are trying to get across. Also, I am finding it to be a bit of a turn off the way they at times go on and on about a certain subject, like for example, when they were discussing the diferences between living in northern and southern England, the country vs. the industrial city areas. It just seemed like an endless discussion to me. I will continue to read it as I'm able, hopefully it will pick up a bit.

Wendy wrote: "ok so I just finished the 15th chapter and still struggling to read it. I will definitely finish it, but will only be able to read a bit at a time. I have always wanted to read classics but I am st..."

Have you watched the BBC miniseries of North and South? I saw that first so I already had an idea of what the story was about. I actually just watched it again while reading this month. It's on Netflix and is so so good!! That might help give some context and explain what's going on a bit more clearly.