Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Members > Buying the Classics on the 1001 List

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) | 13 comments Yesterday I was browsing B&N and came across a table with all the major classics in B&N 's paperback series with a sign stating $5 each . Checked with their cashier and yes their paperback Classics series is on sale for $5 each all summer long ! Went home with Thereau's Waldon and will be stocking up on more selections throughout the summer ! YAY !

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob Kaufman (bobkaufman) | 375 comments I had a great time yesterday morning at a book fair in New Orleans. I picked up about 15 of the 1001 books for about $25. What a great deal.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) | 13 comments Love book fairs ! Great score Bob ! anyone else find some great deals ?

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 629 comments If you have any Goodwill stores close by, you might give them a try. I've found quite a bit of good stuff there over the years--same with Salvation Army Family stores. Unfortunately, sometimes they can be a little bit sketchy--but what's that in comparison to getting some good book deals?

message 5: by LauraBee (new)

LauraBee | 1 comments There is a neat little app called Serial Reader. I have it on IOS and am not sure it is on Android. But with it, many classics can be read for free in bite-sized, daily bites. The developer is continuing to add books, plays and poetry to the list and does take requests. The app is free, but there is a modest charge to upgrade which includes some nice features like additional fonts and backgrounds. I think it's $2.99. Currently reading Moby Dick, The Gambler by Dostoevsky and Thomas Paine's Common Sense, with s bunch more in my queue.

PeekingLlama - Laura | 1 comments Hi Laura Serial reader is a great app and you can get it for Android. but as the books have no ISBN numbers how do you catalogue the books on your bookshelf?