The Sword and Laser discussion

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3)
This topic is about Assassin's Fate
What Else Are You Reading? > assassin's fate spoiler discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Callum Orr | 47 comments Hey guys, I have just finished assassin's fate and felt that a little discussion on the book would be great as I know there are alot of Robin hobb fans and it's the grand final to quite and epic series.

I completely agree with alot of the other statements everyone else has put in so far. Was a roller-coaster the whole way through. The character development was great, however the only annoying thing was that none of the characters really connected with me, there was none that I hated, but also no characters I really felt connected to and would have been disappointed if robin decided to kill them.
Which sadly brings me to another sore point for me, I don't know if robin was going for a younger audience but the whole book is built on the premise of this grand final battle full of danger. So surely someone is going to die through the battles and hard times they face. But no, everyone pulls through fine, no dramas at all. They all emerge victorious.
I probably shouldn't feel like that but it just felt a little twee for me.
Other than that the book was great and I loved diving back into the world. I just felt it could have benefited from a more real sense of danger. You were never in doubt that they were all going to emerge at the end of it.
What does everyone else think?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1646 comments I never thought about that. For me the so called battle may not be as epic as expected but the losses could not always be seen from deaths. Fitz, Bee, anyone survived brought their own inner wounds and traumas. At the end, Althea still lost her ship (and way of living). I guess the Bingtown people had it worst.

There is a specific group for Robin Hobb in GR - we are discussing this book per chapters.

Shad (splante) | 351 comments Silvana wrote: "I never thought about that. For me the so called battle may not be as epic as expected but the losses could not always be seen from deaths. Fitz, Bee, anyone survived brought their own inner wounds..."
I agree that death is not the only tragic end a character can face.
Fitz and the others around him may emerge victorious, but almost all of them end up paying a significant price for that victory.

Callum Orr | 47 comments Yeah I didn't really look at it from that a perspective. And I can completely see what you mean.
I think i just felt that nobody was ever really in danger. I actually scoffed out loud at the book when lant emerged alive. It just felt like it all worked out abit too well. Don't get me wrong though it was a brilliant book and I absolutely loved it.