Challenge Corner discussion

Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
This topic is about Royal Bastards
Let's Buddy! - Fantasy > Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts->Starting June 2nd, 2017

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father, Lord Kent of the Western Province, loved her as a child, but cast her aside as soon as he had trueborn children.

At sixteen, Tilla spends her days exploring long-forgotten tunnels beneath the castle with her stablehand half brother, Jax, and her nights drinking with the servants, passing out on Jax’s floor while her castle bedroom collects dust. Tilla secretly longs to sit by her father’s side, resplendent in a sparkling gown, enjoying feasts with the rest of the family. Instead, she sits with the other bastards, like Miles of House Hampstedt, an awkward scholar who’s been in love with Tilla since they were children.

Then, at a feast honoring the visiting princess Lyriana, the royal shocks everyone by choosing to sit at the Bastards’ Table. Before she knows it, Tilla is leading the sheltered princess on a late-night escapade. Along with Jax, Miles, and fellow bastard Zell, a Zitochi warrior from the north, they stumble upon a crime they were never meant to witness.

Rebellion is brewing in the west, and a brutal coup leaves Lyriana’s uncle, the Royal Archmagus, dead—with Lyriana next on the list. The group flees for their lives, relentlessly pursued by murderous mercenaries; their own parents have put a price on their heads to prevent the king and his powerful Royal Mages from discovering their treachery.

The bastards band together, realizing they alone have the power to prevent a civil war that will tear their kingdom apart—if they can warn the king in time. And if they can survive the journey . . .

Maya White | 734 comments I'm excited for this one!! It looks really good!

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Maya wrote: "I'm excited for this one!! It looks really good!"

Me too. I got it a few day ago and have been really eager to read it. :)

Maya White | 734 comments I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm only a little ways into it. (view spoiler) Also is this a stand alone or a series?

message 5: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Maya wrote: "I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm only a little ways into it. [spoilers removed] Also is this a stand alone or a series?"

I agree. (view spoiler)

It appears to be a stand alone. :(

message 6: by Maya (last edited Jun 03, 2017 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm only a little ways into it. [spoilers removed] Also is this a stand alone or a series?"

I agree. [spoilers removed]

It appears to be a stand alone. :("

Oh true!!

Aww :/

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments Maya wrote: "I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm only a little ways into it. [spoilers removed] Also is this a stand alone or a series?"

I got the same impression of Lyriana at first.

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 5% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 12% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 25% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 34% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 40% (view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Vanessa wrote: "5% This is just the kind of book that I love! I was sucked into this story immediately.

Jax seems to really care for his half sister, Tilla. I wouldn't say that he is jealous, but he feels strong..."

I completely agree about the father. :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Vanessa wrote: "12% I think that Zell is an interesting character. He seems very intimidating, but very bound by honor. Miles is a cross between adorable and highly annoying. The princess was nice, but seemed very..."

I agree that is was really funny. But at the same time I think some of the language might offend a younger audience. This might be a little more NA than YA. :)

message 15: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments (view spoiler)

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments (view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Vanessa wrote: "40% Learning about Lyriana and the Sisterhood of Kaia makes me want to know more. Especially since it is so controversial. I wonder if it will come into play more in the story, since their order ar..."

(view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Review:(view spoiler)

message 19: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments This is really quite interesting. (view spoiler) Can't wait to see what else is in store.

message 20: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments Also can I just say, Miles annoys the heck outta me! (view spoiler)

message 21: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments (view spoiler)

message 22: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments (view spoiler)

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya White | 734 comments Wow I really really enjoyed this!! I'll admit some parts I had to try really hard not to roll my eyes. But overall it was great. And I felt like the characters really grew. Especially Lyriana, man did she annoy me at first, but near the end I grew to genuinely like her. I would say the only character that didn't progress (even regressed) was Miles. I frickin hate that kid. Also I really really hope that this is not a stand alone. Like you said Bookbuyer, there are just too many questions unanswered for this to be a stand alone.

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments 52% (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments Finished! (view spoiler)

♛Vanessa♛ ϟ Novel Nerd Faction (novelnerdfaction) | 1488 comments Maya wrote: "Wow I really really enjoyed this!! I'll admit some parts I had to try really hard not to roll my eyes. But overall it was great. And I felt like the characters really grew. Especially Lyriana, man ..."

I agree as well. I need more! This can't be the end of it.

message 27: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 2907 comments I plan to read this this month. If no one minds, I plan to jump in here and read your spoilers and comment! :)