Bright Young Things discussion

Favourite Authors > Edith Wharton

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
I'm so excited today to know that a lost Edith Wharton Play has been unearthed in a Texas archive...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 2: by Jan C (last edited Sep 29, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Not sure if this is just for the US but Library of America is offering a free ebook of her Wharton's 1923 A Son at the Front.

Apparently when the First World War broke out all the other expats raced for home, but she stayed. Going to hospitals, visiting the front, etc. The basis of the story was of an ex-pat who had a son born in France and he got called up to defend France. More about the home life than actual battles. It received mixed reviews in 1923. One, in particular, said this would have been a great book in 1913, 1915 or 1917 but no one wanted to read about the war anymore. Others said, sales or no sales, it was still a fine book and made her a master writer.

I have read a couple of her WWI short stories, one a little better than the other, but they weren't bad. So, I have downoaded this book.

Oops - I forgot. This offer is good until October 5.

message 3: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 729 comments Thanks for the info Ally and Jan. : )

I don't know that much about her and didn't know that she wrote plays, but liked The House of Mirth. I must read more by her.

message 4: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 140 comments Interesting that this thread is so short with just 3 posts!!!! No Wharton fans in BYT? In my experience it seems as if readers either love or dislike her works. I'm not sure why that is? Has any of Wharton's works been on the "menu" over the last few years?

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments The Age of Innocence was read, I think. I know I had hoped to finish it but it still lies unfinished on my shelves.

I read one of her WWI short stories and enjoyed it. Not sure if I enjoyed the second, because I don't think I finished it.

message 6: by Nigeyb (new)

message 7: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 153 comments I've read 3 books by Wharton and The Age of Innocence was actually my least favorite. I quite enjoyed The Glimpses of the Moon and the short story Xingu. I would be interested in trying another with the group.

message 8: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 140 comments Me too!