North-Color Purple discussion

Religion and Spirituality

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill | 2 comments Mod
The title of Alice Walker's book comes from this quote, “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.”

Do you think Celie is religious, or is she spiritual? Do you see a difference in these two things? "It" in the quote; does this refer to God or the world?
The Color Purple

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Jun 05, 2017 05:58AM) (new)

Ashley Vargas | 3 comments she could be spiritual because if she was religious she wouldn't be speaking that way and she wouldn't have refer to god as "it"

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments I believe Celie is both religious and spiritual. Throughout the whole book, Celie was writing to god. She went through some tough things, but that never stopped her from believing that god, or someone somewhere was looking down on her. Although, this did change half way through the book, she got mad and lost a little hope. She found her way back, and continued writing to god.
I think, "IT" refers to god. Celie was always trying to please god, and she really did worship god.

message 4: by Jade (new)

Jade Flanders | 5 comments I personally think that Celie is spiritual, rather than religious. I believe that saying someone is "religious" implies that they are a member of a group that lives by a certain doctrine and practices traditions or activities that follow that doctrine. Celie, rather, isn't a member of a religious group. She simply has faith that there is something greater than she. Her conversations with Shug Avery and her own personal conversations with God leave her on a path to discovering her own view of God and the world he (or maybe she) created.
In the quote I believe "it" means both. I think that Celie sees God and the world as one entity...almost as if the world and its inhabitants are God's way of responding to us and communicating with us.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Vargas | 3 comments i feel like she means god because she's clearly saying people don't see how he's pleasing us.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Bernstein | 2 comments I think that Celie is more spiritual than religious, because she believes in something, but doesn't follow a normal christian practice. From what I believe, the difference between these two things is that one is followed and practiced (religion) and they other is having an understand that there is something, but maybe not knowing what it is, or even following up with certain practices. With the quote, I think that it can be looked at in both ways. Since Celie believes that god isn't a man then maybe god isn't a human? By the way the quote is written, it could also be taken as the world is trying to please us. Personally, I like the idea of the world trying to please us since I don't have any set religion.

message 7: by Jade (new)

Jade Flanders | 5 comments Ashley wrote: "she could be spiritual because if she was religious she wouldn't be speaking that way and she wouldn't have refer to god as "it""

I think that she speaks the way she does for two reasons:
1. she doesn't have the education to speak properly
2. When she is talking with God she is being raw and genuine...not worrying about being correct.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments Jade wrote: "I personally think that Celie is spiritual, rather than religious. I believe that saying someone is "religious" implies that they are a member of a group that lives by a certain doctrine and practi..."

I agree with what you are saying, Shug Avery has guided her to see her own view on god, which later on allowed her to have her own view on god, vs what everyone else has "taught" her to think god should be.

message 9: by Jade (new)

Jade Flanders | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "I believe Celie is both religious and spiritual. Throughout the whole book, Celie was writing to god. She went through some tough things, but that never stopped her from believing that god, or some..."

I think that the fact that Celie got a little lost partway through the book is an accurate representation of anyone who is spiritual or religious. It makes her journey more believable and more relate-able.