Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Fixing your first page (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ikram (last edited Jun 02, 2017 11:14AM) (new)

Ikram | 24 comments Hello there! I'm a freelance editor and I thought I would do something for fun. I will be starting this new series on my blog called "Fixing Your First Page" I will critique your first 250 words for free. I'll share my overall thoughts as well as my redline critique. If you want to know more about me check out my website.

Here are the rules:

I will be posting this critique on my blog so you have to be aware that this is a public critique.

If you want to enter, all you have to do is email me your first 250 words at: ikram.belaid93@gmail.com

I will be posting these critiques once a week.

I will do my best to get to all the emails but it's going to be on a first-come-first-served basis.

Ready. Set. Email!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 7 comments This is intriguing. I might have to try it. At the risk of appearing ignorant, though, what all can you tell from the first 250 words?

message 3: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments You'd be surprised haha.

Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai) (fantasticalgeekatarashiisekai) Kimi wrote: "Hello there! I'm a freelance editor and I thought I would do something for fun. I will be starting this new series on my blog called "Fixing Your First Page" I will critique your first 250 words fo..."

Can I PM it to you instead? (I just don't like giving my email out, lol)

message 5: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments Hannah (Atarashii Sekai) wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Hello there! I'm a freelance editor and I thought I would do something for fun. I will be starting this new series on my blog called "Fixing Your First Page" I will critique your first..."

Sure!

Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai) (fantasticalgeekatarashiisekai) Kimi wrote: "Hannah (Atarashii Sekai) wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Hello there! I'm a freelance editor and I thought I would do something for fun. I will be starting this new series on my blog called "Fixing Your First..."

Okay, thanks!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 7 comments Kimi wrote: "You'd be surprised haha."

This wasn't a helpful response at all. I wanted concrete examples because I am new to all of this.

message 8: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments Julie wrote: "Kimi wrote: "You'd be surprised haha."

This wasn't a helpful response at all. I wanted concrete examples because I am new to all of this."

Oh, I'm sorry. I don't really have any examples to show you because this is something I just started. I'm currently working on the first one I received. It should be up on my blog later today.

Basically, a lot of mistakes can be noticed from the first page (pacing, opening, voice ...etc) I'm sure you'll get a better idea after seeing the first example.

message 9: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Ludington | 12 comments Hi Kimi,

Are you still accepting the first 250 words? If so, I'd love to send you mine. Thanks!

message 10: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments Stacy wrote: "Hi Kimi,

Are you still accepting the first 250 words? If so, I'd love to send you mine. Thanks!"

Yes, go ahead :)

message 11: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments I have just posted the first one: http://kimi-reads-and-writes.tumblr.c...

message 12: by Oxana (new)

Oxana Gritsko (gritsko_g) | 14 comments Great idea, Kimi :) will look forward to updates on your blog!

message 13: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 24 comments Thanks Oxana! <3

message 14: by Randy (new)

Randy Smith | 68 comments thanks Kimi, I just read your comments on my first page. It's so good to hear thoughts about my efforts at writing. You've made a lot of good points... now I'll see what I can do to make my writing efforts better. Thanks again for taking the time to help us writers... and wanna-be writers.
Randy