SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

A Great and Terrible Beauty- By Libba Bray

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Kley | 7 comments Danger, rivalries, realms!

A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray

Review by Destiny Kley

Jemma Doyle would be considered the wild child in her family. Her family consists of her older brother Todd, her father, and her mother. Her mother passed away shortly after Jemma and her arrived at a train station. After she passed away, Todd and their father decided it was best if they sent her to Spence Academy in London, England. Spence is a school for females to learn the basic subjects in school and how to serve tea, embroider, court, and please a future husband. Jemma had wanted to go to London for a long time, but now she feels differently about going. After she is sent to Spence, Todd makes sure she settles in alright and helps her move in. Soon after she meets her roommate, Ann. Ann is an orphan; both of her parents passed away when she was young. Ann was Jemma's first and only ally for a long while. That was until, Felicity and Pippa came along. Felicity and Pippa were the popular ones, everyone wanted to be them, and looked up to them as a prime example of what they should be. Felicity eventually takes Jemma and Ann under her wing, Jemma more so and befriended them. Since Jemma had gotten to the academy, she felt as if she were being followed, watched... Indeed she was, by the same person she ran into the day of her mother's death. She found this strange, until she talked to him. He warned her of danger, possibly even death.

This book kept me constantly second-guessing what I thought was going to happen. There was never a dull moment, the author, Libba Bray, used the perfect amount of imagery. Bray went into detail about things that mattered, making these scenes stand out very much so. Bray doing so, left me feeling and experiencing the settings. I truly enjoyed this book, and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy and magic. At the end of each chapter, I would think about what I had just read, because there is more depth to the story and plot than you realize at first. A Great and Terrible Beauty keeps the readers engaged, and tries to keep the story turning at all points.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 9 comments This book sounds exciting. I really want to find out what happens to Jemma and who the person is that she runs into. It sounds like I would never put that book down. Why does her father think it is best to send her away? Who is the person she sees again?